Cookbook #3

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the TNTTT Cookbook number 3

Moderator: Mike B

Cookbook #3

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:27 pm

With all the new members here, I think it's time to start cookbook #3.

If you have a recipe you'd like to see in cookbook #3, please post it in this thread...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Cookbook #3

Postby Mike B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:38 am

mikeschn wrote:With all the new members here, I think it's time to start cookbook #3.

If you have a recipe you'd like to see in cookbook #3, please post it in this thread...

Mike...

Since I have the 'source' for cookbook #2, I will go through old postings and update that as a basis for #3.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby flyguide » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:04 pm

Where are 1 and 2?
flyguide
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:46 am

I'll upload #1 again this evening. Opps, I forgot, all the recipes from #1 are in #2) Thanks Mike B

Here is number 2: http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/zips/TnTTTCookbook2.pdf

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 am

flyguide wrote:Where are 1 and 2?

Cookbook number 2 is just #1 with new recipes, so you aren't missing anything by not having it.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Let's try to make #3 all new recipes... whatdayathink? Can we come up with 999 recipes that look like camping, smell like camping, and taste like camping? Irregardless of where we cook it?

Mike...

Mike B wrote:
flyguide wrote:Where are 1 and 2?

Cookbook number 2 is just #1 with new recipes, so you aren't missing anything by not having it.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Where are all the new recipes?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Mike B » Fri May 12, 2017 12:07 pm

I am working hard on the new edition of the cookbook. It has increased in size from 93 pages to 186 pages, and I am nowhere near finished with it.

Keep those new recipes coming in while you have a chance to get them into the new edition.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Mike B » Mon May 22, 2017 11:22 am

mikeschn wrote:With all the new members here, I think it's time to start cookbook #3.

Mike...

MIke,

I have finished adding new recipes to cookbook #3. Now I need just one thing: the name of the person that created the new tnttt logo - the one that is a TD with flames trim and that has http://www.tnttt.com below it. I need this for attribution, as I added a photo of it to the front page of the cookbook.

I can post the new PDF of the cookbook almost immediately, but the EPUB version will take a while, as the format has changed from the old one and I will need to do it from scratch.

(All this while I am 3D printing parts for my classic car) :?

Cookbook #2: 93 pages
Cookbook #3: 281 pages, unformatted. Will probably be a bit more.
#3 is completely reorganized.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks for all the organization, Mike. I know it will be a great resource for newbies as well as established camp cooks. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Billy C. » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:34 pm

Mike are you still taking recipes for the cookbook. Thanks Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike B » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 am

Billy C. wrote:Mike are you still taking recipes for the cookbook. Thanks Billy

Always. I check the entire forum every day, and all new recipes go into the next edition of the cookbook, which will be published next year.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 am

Cool I got several but I would like to talk about seasonings for a second. My favorite of all time would have to be Tony Chacheres as my long gone Cajun grandfather would say "You could put dat on shoe leather and it would be good." But there is one that comes to mind that is great on anything that you can cook. In the town of Ponca city Oklahoma where I live there is 3 championship winning bbq teams. You may have heard of some of them. Oklahoma Joes. Cook Shack. And a few others. So around here there is one that bears mentioning and that would be Danny Head. Danny won everything there is to win in the bbq world. He started a company to produce his bbq sauce and rubs. The company's name is Head Country. And what I'm referring too is his championship seasoning. It is available in Walmart or from the head county web site. This stuff is so good it's used as the base for dry rubs of many winning bbq teams. I use it on everything from potatoes to pork chops. And no I'm not affiliated in any way with Head Country. I just really like it.

So I have a recipe for ya to try. It's from food network so it's not one of mine. But I really like it.
Shrimp Raman soup

1 pound of uncooked cleaned med shrimp
Two packages of Raman soup
One tray of small white button mushrooms
4 strips of good bacon
Tbsp of soy sauce
7 cups of chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large pot or Dutch oven chop bacon into small pieces and sauté until slightly crispy, about 6 mins. then add mushrooms that have been diced fairly small about 1/4" pieces. About 5 mins. Then add chicken stock and soy sauce. Salt and pepper. Bring to a low simmer open one end of the packets of Raman noodles and remove and discard the seasoning packets. Break the Raman while still in the bag into smal pieces. Put the Raman into the pot. Cook for 5 mins. Cut the shrimps into thirds and turn the heat off and stir in the shrimps. Let sit for 5 more mins and stir and serve.
Try this even if you don't like the taste of shrimps or mushrooms it will surprise you this can be made in advance of a camping trip and reheated. Next one will be one of mine hope ya like it Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:14 am

Blackened anything and camping

I love blackened foods. My mother was 100% Cajun and my dad was half Cajun and half English. So I grew up with Cajun food. But my absolute favorite is blackened steak. To get a really good blackened steak you need to do it in a frying pan or a Dutch oven. Or do you. I came up with a way to do it fast and easy over a grill. But what about the butter running off of it you say. Cuz everyone knows ya gots to mix the butter in with the seasonings to make a really good blackened steak right.

Yes and no what I do is marinate the steak in Worcestershire sauce for about a half hour at room temp. That gives you a way to bring the steak to room temp before cooking. That's important to get a more even cook. Anyway I then put either Tony's as mentioned in the previous post or a blackening seasoning. I then start to cook to steak on the grill when I turn it the first time I pul a pat of butter on top. Then about two mins to go I turn it again and add a pat of butter to the top side.

Try this it's great Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am

One more for today.

I worked as a professionally as a heavy equipment mechanic in the pipeline industry for 36 years. In that time I got to travel all over the world. And since I am probably the worlds biggest foodie. I have been gathering all kinds of recipes. It's not my fault, as a kid my dad told me over and over many things. But one that sticks with me for all time is "If you get a chance to try something in your life, even if it's something you don't think you will like do it anyway. If you really don't like it you don't have to do it again. But if you do like it you will have that for the rest of your life". Made sense then as it does now. So as I'm this gear foodie I applied it to food. So in all my travels I have got to try some amazing things. One that has really stuck with me is trout almondine. One place that I worked a lot is Wyoming and guess what they have some amazing trout. It's just sitting in streams and rivers waiting to get caught. So how can I prepare this trout in the style I likes. I like to cook it over a fire on a plank. I like cedar planks but you will see fish cooking planks in many types of wood. Just soak it in water before you start.

Trout almondine
Start with cleaned filets make sure to get all the pin bones out. When your fire has dropped down to coals put the filets on the plank and cook until done about 12 to 15 mins. The whole time it's cooking spoon the almondine mix over it. (Recipe fore almondine sauce follows)

1cup of white wine or sherry
Two clove fresh garlic crushed and diced very fine.
About 3 tablespoon of slivered almonds
A 1/4 cup of butter
In a saucepan over low heat mix the ingredients and slowly bring up the temp to a slow boil. You don't want to burn the butter but you want to cook it until the almonds start to soften about ten mins. You can make this up a few days in advance and keep refrigerated until use.
Thanks again. Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #3