Recommendation for Solar Install Help, Indianapolis or WA?

Anything electric, AC or DC

Recommendation for Solar Install Help, Indianapolis or WA?

Postby iambucket » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey all,

I live in WA and am currently in IN working on a Sunline Que 5.4 trailer. I'd love to build the solar system on my own and feel like if I had time I could set up a really sweet solar system...but I'm in a big time crunch to get back to WA soon. I don't think I can get it done in time.

I'd like to set up a 200 W system (or 300 if there is room, roof space is not large - it might come down to a combo of mounted and unmounted panels) with MPPT controller. My cargo capacity is small. I think there's only enough for a bank of two batteries, or 4 golf-cart batteries, which is ok for 300 W from the panels.

Does anybody know a business or person near Indianapolis that I could pay to help me install this? I've found some solar companies but no RV experience. I've found some RV service companies but no solar experience.

If not Indianapolis my backup plan is to do near Port Townsend, WA but it would be MUCH preferred to get it done in Indy for multiple reasons. Much preferred.

Thanks,
Bucket
iambucket
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Recommendation for Solar Install Help, Indianapolis or W

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Buy your batteries, 4x Duracell 6V from Sam's Club or Batteries+, and other gear you know you want in advance.

Get an RV guy to get batteries going as if to be charged from Alt and shore charger only, or genset also if applicable, fusing, combiner etc.

Then solar guy adds that component last feeding the house bank.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby iambucket » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Aha, we meet over here too!

I had to look up what a combiner is. I think I'm not understanding it correctly. Does it gather all of the solar input into one line (COMBINES) that feeds into the inverter? I'm not sure if I got that correct because that implies it is between the battery and the inverter and I think that's already a single line coming form the battery.

But regardless, thanks for the idea of breaking the job up appropriately.
iambucket
Teardrop Inspector

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm

ACR, VSR, keeps House isolated from Starter/engine circuit except when charge present.

Simpler is a solenoid opens only when engine running.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Electrical Secrets