Body Filler? PMF Question

Finishes, paints and coatings

Body Filler? PMF Question

Postby IndyTom » Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 pm

I am getting pretty close to the point where I need to get the outside of my build ready for the application of the canvas for my PMF. I have some screw holes and seams in the plywood and just some general imperfections that have crept in during the years this thing has been sitting in my garage taking up space. My first thought is to use Bondo to fill and fair the skin of the little camper, but before I went down that path, I thought I would ask the collective wisdom here for it's opinion. Are there optional materials that I should be considering?

As far as the PMF, I am planning to buy my canvas at a fabric store or Hobby Lobby. My sides are about 65" tall and I really don't want to deal with the seam that I keep hearing about that most folks seem to find in a wide drop cloth. With surfaces that large I am also a little worried about getting the TBII on fast enough to allow me to the canvas on before the glue starts setting up. Has anyone gone full old school and just used paint to stick the canvas on the way the old timers did it? That just seems easier and maybe even a little less expensive since our local household recycling center allows you to take paint if you can use it. So I was planning to get enough free paint to apply at least the first several coats.
Thanks for all of the help and encouragement that everyone here has provided.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Re: Body Filler? PMF Question

Postby greygoos » Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm

I am pretty sure that someone has tried to use paint instead of glue and it had negative results. I believe that they removed the canvas when it failed and used aluminum as a skin.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Actually if you Google research PMF one of the members here did an instructables using simply paint to do the canvas. Been doing great for years.

Thing is to use the right paint. Can't just use cheap crap. I'll have to find the instructables again. There is actually many that have done it with good results. But brand and type of exterior paint can determine success or failure.

Glue is a requirement for foam, but using plywood it works fine when done right.

The glue route seems to just be an improvement especially for more universal plywood applications. If your wood already has any sealant, pressure treating etc then paint only could be a problem.

Paint for PMF on Luan is exactly how I plan to skin mine.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Mon May 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I used gripper as a glue on a foamy without problem. Testing a few pieces I found I needed to quick sand and then pierce the foam with a wallpaper roller. I rolled gripper on the canvas and folded it as I would wall paper. Rolled the foam with the primer. Then applied the canvas, paint to paint, and smoothed it tight with my hand...

In a couple of places where I used Spackle to fair the foam the canvas lifted. The canvas needed to be pressed down again with more primer injected.

It is sticking to this day after roughly 8000 miles, 5 trips.
Your result may vary!
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:03 am

Don't use Bondo; it will dissolve the foam.

I'd use TB2 or Gripper at this stage just because they have a track record. You don't what to experiment at this stage. Use of recycled paint to fill the canvas is a great idea.

I used TB2 working about 2 feet at a time. I rolled it onto sanded foam and the canvas. I had plenty of time.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue May 02, 2017 7:55 am

Is there some confusion here? Sounds like op and some comments based on plywood exterior and some based on all foam. I will admit I am sometimes confused by pmf being do closely associated with foamies but seems it's a legitimate "skin" for plywood, with foam behind or not. I'd actually like to find more info on pmf on ply.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Tue May 02, 2017 10:41 am

I think the confusion might be because I was not clear in my initial post. This is an old project. I started this construction in 2006. Before the first person proposed foam construction here. So I am an all wood build(except for the frame). My outer skin is 1/4 ply on the sides and 3/8th on the top. I really don't have the necessary skills to cover this thing in aluminum, but I know I can do PMF. The ply has imperfections that need to be repaired. That is the application I was thinking of using the bondo for.
Also, I found the instructable for doing PMF. It talks about applying paint to the canvas before applying it to the wood. I am pretty sure that I cannot do that. The pieces are just too big. So I guess TBII it is. I am just now curious how well the Bondo will adhere to the plywood and is it the best filler. I am just trying to stay away from epoxy, since it tends to make me break out.

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby greygoos » Tue May 02, 2017 11:35 am

I have used Bondo over plywood, MDF and pine for filling in nail, screw and knot holes that were to be painted. It dries fast and you can sand it. Just dont get carried away piling it on as it is a pain to sand to get level if you have a big area. Use the widest knife you can comfortably handle to keep it smooth during application.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Tue May 02, 2017 1:37 pm

greygoos,
Thanks for the reply. I have never worked with Bondo before, so this is going to be a new experience. But the one thing I had hear is that it is much easier to add more that to take some away. Looking forward to moving on to the next step.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue May 02, 2017 5:50 pm

I would think that in you application Durham's Rock Hard would be good.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Not sure which instructables you found but you DO NOT have to apply paint to canvas before install. You put on a really thick coat (gripper primer designed to keep paint from peeling off wood seems to be the better way) then put the canvas on. This way there is enough to penetrate wood and canvas.

Just seems to be cheaper than tbll route is all

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyTom » Wed May 03, 2017 11:45 am

Tigris99,
That is good information to know. The instructable that I found was written by one of our members here, rowerwet. It can be found here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Poor-Ma ... -weatherp/
I had just always thought of Gripper as a product that foamie builders use, but I looked it up and I can see where it should work equally well on plywood. And it is significantly less expensive than TBII. It may be the option I was looking for. Thanks.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:16 am

Ive been doing endless digging on methods, another member here is the one I looked at that went off about tbii being overrated for plywood use and step by step using just exterior paint. More digging found that gripper works as good, maybe a bit better. TBll is good, just not "needed" for canvas install.

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Thu May 04, 2017 7:36 am

I find products by three different manufacturers all called Gripper. Any preferences or known differences?
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Thu May 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Interesting. I had only found the Glidden and assumed that was the one.........

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Next

Return to Skinning secrets