Chassis jacks

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Chassis jacks

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 6:09 am

I am trying to figure out the jacks for my trailer. I want to be able to lift nd support the trailer on the jacks not just take the bounce out. Also need quite a bit of lift as the frame will sit about 23" off the ground so standard trailer jacks seem to come up a bit short. At the moment I am leaning toward using slide in pickup camper jacks at the four corners but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks
Brian
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Re: Chassis jacks

Postby KennethW » Fri May 05, 2017 6:49 am

Would tilt down tongue jacks work?
One on both back corners and one on the tongue.
https://shop.harborfreight.com/media/ca ... _21137.jpg
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 7:02 am

They might if i could find ones with enough extension. My worry with those was suspending the trailer whells off yhe ground for both uneven ground and during storage. I was just looking at northern and thinking with some injinuity and some brackets that these might work

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... line=false
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dale M. » Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am

2manytoyz wrote:They might if i could find ones with enough extension. My worry with those was suspending the trailer whells off yhe ground for both uneven ground and during storage. I was just looking at northern and thinking with some injinuity and some brackets that these might work

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop ... line=false

Quite expensive and you will not like them as they ratchet up and down like old bumper jacks and are heavy and sometime difficult to work with... I have one that we take out when in Jeep and its at best a last resort tool because of its size and some times orneriness to use and stability issues... And the uptight rail is not hard secure in base so if you are trying to put camper up on 4 of these it will not be stable.... It is good for lifting a single corner only and pretty much requires rest of vehicle firmly on ground for stability.. Go to local Tractor Supply or local 4 wheel drive (off road) emporium and look at them before you commit to purchase... Personally I would stay away from them for what you want...

For full lift off ground at four corners I would consider nothing less the hydraulic jacks like uses to remove campers off PU truck beds....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby 2manytoyz » Fri May 05, 2017 10:52 am

Very good points thank you Dale. Once you mentioned the stability it mkes perfect ense as I have used them offroad neumerous times sometimes with good sucess sometimes not to much. I was trying to cheap and it was silly of me.

Brian
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby ae6black » Fri May 05, 2017 5:36 pm

I just use those cheap screw jacks from walmart. they work fine and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:41 pm

I welded on scissor jacks and just going to put 4x4s under them at all 4 corners. With a cordless impact driver takes about 90 seconds to drop all 4 (though I'm only using them to stabilize, no take all the weight off the axles)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri May 05, 2017 6:47 pm

We do not use jacks, other than the tongue jack. I use Lynx Levelers under the wheels and have yet to exceed their ability to level the tear.
I have also looked at the Lippert 285332 30" Scissor Jack for tire changing etc.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat May 06, 2017 10:42 am

Tigris99 wrote:I welded on scissor jacks and just going to put 4x4s under them at all 4 corners. With a cordless impact driver takes about 90 seconds to drop all 4 (though I'm only using them to stabilize, no take all the weight off the axles)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I have the drop down type and find them very frustrating to use to get that exact height needed. They are hard to use to fine tune things. I have watched others with scissor jacks and a power driver and I think I want to make the swap to them. They are very simple to adjust.

I also have used a hydraulic jack before and they can do the job.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby 2manytoyz » Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 am

Thank you all for all the suggestions bery helpfull

Brian
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby swoody126 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 pm

goto your local farm/utility trailer yards and take a gander at what 's called LANDING GEAR for the front of gooseneck trailers

they also use LANDING GEAR on most 5th wheel travel trailers

they can be either manually operated or 12v/button operated

there is an inner sliding/pinned leg that protrudes from the bottom which will equalize your stance within an inch or so and that can be accommodated w/ a wood shim

just this LAZY old man's 2¢ worth

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Sat May 06, 2017 10:19 pm

Consider installing BAL LIGHT TRAILER STABILIZING JACKS. There are two versions. Model #23025 extends up to 17". Model #23026 extends up to 20".

I installed two BAL jacks at 45 degree outward facing angles for increased stability on the rear of my trailer frame.

LIGHT TRAILER STABILIZING JACK

For use on tent trailers, lightweight travel trailers and fifth wheels with up to 20" of frame-to-ground clearance.

Includes crank handle (Model 23033).

Ideal replacement for Atwood, Fulton and other non-screw design corner stands.
Super low profile storage (2").
Bolt-on application; mounting hardware included.
1,000 lb. static capacity per jack.
Rust-inhibiting E-coating for long life.

Using a battery powered drill motor and a Socket Jenie For BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks makes leveling a trailer equipped with BAL jacks a breeze.
The Socket Jenie LVSG-630 is designed for trailers that use the BAL screw stabilizer jacks, such as COLEMAN, VIKING, CLIPPER and APACHE. This socket requires a 1/2" drill chuck, and can be used with 110V or battery operated drills. The bit fits the BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jack which uses an acme screw to lower and return it to the stored position. Due to the pitch of the screw threads the use of this socket with a drill moves the jack extremely fast, and caution should be used when returning it to the storage position. Because of the jack geometry and the momentum of the drill motor it will snap back into the storage position, potentially breaking the ears of the socket. KNOWN BRANDS USING THIS STYLE: Coachmen, Viking, Forest River, Mallard, Jayco, Apache, Coleman, and Fleetwood to name a few. Sold individually

Made from a single piece of steel
Features a grey corrosion resistant finish
The stem has been specially machined to eliminate slipping in the drill chuck.
Use with a Cordless or Electric 1/2" Drill
Fits BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jack
Lifetime Warranty

Be sure to use caution - Because of the jack geometry and the momentum of the drill motor it will snap back into the storage position, potentially breaking the ears of the socket.
Socket Jenie For BAL Light Trailer Stabilizing Jacks
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sun May 07, 2017 11:37 am

I like the profile when up for these BAL stablizers better then the scissor type. I have changed my want list to include this type.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby 2manytoyz » Sun May 07, 2017 12:32 pm

I am trying to keep everything tucked in myself. my frame is 1/4" thickness tubing do it can take one heck of a hit with no damage. I am trying to keep all items above that so they do not get damaged by impacts.
2manytoyz
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Sun May 07, 2017 1:30 pm

2manytoyz wrote:I am trying to keep everything tucked in myself. my frame is 1/4" thickness tubing do it can take one heck of a hit with no damage. I am trying to keep all items above that so they do not get damaged by impacts.

Somewhere on this site I believe I saw these installed tucked up inside the frame. These are 2" deep according to website. Doesn't seem hard, even if it took a couple of plates welded on frame just under deck. With a light enough trailer and well secured deck to frame, not sure they couldn't be bolted to deck.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets