PD4045 converter not working

Anything electric, AC or DC

PD4045 converter not working

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Just installed the PD4045 in my cargo conversion toy hauler and the converter side isn't working. 120v & 12v both work fine but the unit isn't charging nor does the fan come on. Does the battery need to be above a certain voltage for the converter to work? It's currently at 12.5v but I was thinking maybe the charging software is not allowing the converter to start if the battery was below a certain set voltage.
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Re: PD4045 converter not working

Postby lrrowe » Fri May 12, 2017 6:16 pm

I have vague recollections of a similar problem when I installed mine several years ago. In my case, I did not have the incoming AC ground line connected to my bus bar. But I think the newer ones, have eliminated this method. I am sure more knowledgeable folks will set us straight.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri May 12, 2017 6:33 pm

The fan on mine does not run continuously, just once in a while when it's delivering a lot of power.

The normal mode output to the battery should be 13.2VDC. What does it measure?

BTW, the PD won't output DC to any circuit if there is no battery present. At least my 4 year old 4045 won't.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:18 pm

lrrowe wrote:I have vague recollections of a similar problem when I installed mine several years ago. In my case, I did not have the incoming AC ground line connected to my bus bar. But I think the newer ones, have eliminated this method. I am sure more knowledgeable folks will set us straight.

My AC input has the green to the buss bar and the white to it's respective buss bar. The green ac buss bar is then grounded to the frame.
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:20 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:The fan on mine does not run continuously, just once in a while when it's delivering a lot of power.

BTW, the PD won't output DC to any circuit if there is no battery present. At least my 4 year old 4045 won't.

<Chas>

OK, that would make sense that it runs on a thermostat basically. Where are you measuring that 13.2vdc at? Battery is present but maybe just low on voltage enough to trick the converter into thinking it's not present. I've been charging the battery with an external to raise the voltage so the converter may run.
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Sorry for the slow replies fellas, been out working in the trailer trying to get the last few things completed before it's maiden voyage
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri May 12, 2017 8:25 pm

nitro_mt_racer wrote:
GuitarPhotog wrote:The fan on mine does not run continuously, just once in a while when it's delivering a lot of power.

<Chas>

OK, that would make sense that it runs on a thermostat basically. Where are you measuring that 13.2vdc at? Battery is present but maybe just low on voltage enough to trick the converter into thinking it's not present. I've been charging the battery with an external to raise the voltage so the converter may run.

Measure between Battery Pos (or Alt Battery Pos if you are using an external batt sw.) and Battery Neg. If the charger is OK, it should measure 13.2 across your battery. Measure your battery w/ no load. If it's below 12VDC it might never take a charge. Do you have a known good battery (your car maybe)? That would be useful for testing.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Battery measured 12.5v prior to starting today. It's a new blem agm from Interstate. Put the charger on and it now checks 13.2v resting but it's dark and I haven't tried testing since. If I check the voltage across the batt + & batt - it'll just show the voltage of the battery. Not sure how that's gonna prove the charger is working.
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri May 12, 2017 9:24 pm

nitro_mt_racer wrote:Battery measured 12.5v prior to starting today. It's a new blem agm from Interstate. Put the charger on and it now checks 13.2v resting but it's dark and I haven't tried testing since. If I check the voltage across the batt + & batt - it'll just show the voltage of the battery. Not sure how that's gonna prove the charger is working.

In normal charge mode, the voltage should be 13.2. If your battery measures 13.2 the charger isn't charging because the battery is charged. The charger senses the battery voltage. Check out page 2 of the manual.

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Fri May 12, 2017 10:42 pm

Probably should have left the battery at 12.5v and done all my testing from there. I won't get a chance to test again until Sunday. Hopefully I can figure it out then. Thanks for the help!
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Postby nitro_mt_racer » Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 am

Just a quick update, seems to be working fine. Battery was 12.5v no load, converter was showing 13.5v when the breaker was turned on so I have to assume it was charging. I just assumed something was wrong when I couldn't hear anything happening and the fan wasn't running but it seems that must be normal. Thanks for the help guys!
nitro_mt_racer
Teardrop Builder

Return to Electrical Secrets