OUTFITTING A TEARDROP

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: OUTFITTING A TEARDROP

Postby Pinstriper » Wed May 17, 2017 10:50 am

I see a lot of crossover from the OP list and my "go bag".

I don't carry a snakebite kit, the whole cutting and suction technique is pretty much deprecated in the wilderness medicine literature.

I considered surgical needles and sutures, but then read you can accomplish much the same, and easier, with butterfly bandages or steri-strips and Tegaderm. I also carry celox clotting powder for severe trauma.

I carry multi-purpose otc such as combo sunscreen/insect repellant, which I got as wipes. Percogesic which is tylenol with diphenhydramine, used for pain, inflamation, allergy, cold, fever, and even sleep aid. I have packets of first aid ointments - antibiotic as well as cortisone. Ointments are preferrable to creams for delivery of the medicine and keeping it in place, and hey you can use it also in firestarting in a pinch. Dentek for tooth issues, liquid bandage in addition to bandaids, and iodine wipes with you can also use for water purification if it came to that. My thermometer is old school. I'm less worried about breakage than battery failure. Alcohol wipes also make a good firestarter, as does sterile gel.

Be careful about deodorants and perfumed toiletries - there is some suggestion they may cue bears that this is where humans keep stuff that includes food. A small sewing kit can fill a lot of roles in a small space, especially if you swap out the thread for 20# fishing braid and 6# fishing mono. Clothing and other repairs plus first aid and of course fishing in emergency.

Trying to figure out what I would use a rubber stamp and ink pad for. I do have waterproof pen, golf pencil, and a grease pencil (crayon will do). That can be used for marking trails and also firestarting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby capnTelescope » Thu May 25, 2017 11:40 pm

tony.latham wrote:Ya can't go camping without a rubber snake.

I gots to ask, "Why?" It makes a certain amount of sense for fun and games. Also to get your camping budds POed at you. :thinking: Any other reason? Scaring off the raccoons? :thumbsup: Okay, now I have to have one too. 8)
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby swoody126 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:04 am

TRULY LOVIN' THIS THREAD :thumbsup:

as one who has, over the years, camped off/in/on/by means of... motorcycles, canoes, a bug-eyed sprite, beetle, station wagon, tent trlr, cargo trlr & full blown travel trlr, REQUIRED BASICS LISTS AMUSE ME :D

as time goes on, unless i am taking the vintage(i qualify as vintage also) bridal unit along, i am perpetually working on my KIT/GEAR to see how to simplify it and find ways to include as many items as i can that can/will serve more than one purpose and do so w/ the lea$t expen$e po$$ible

being a CHEAPSTEAK by nature, i am forever on the hunt for LE$$ EXPEN$IVE, LIGHTER IN WEIGHT, CHEAPER, $MALLER, LE$$ EXPEN$IVE, MORE DURABLE, CHEAPER, MORE COMFORTABLE & LE$$ EXPEN$IVE...

ONLY ON RARE OCCASIONS DO I BUY @ RETAIL PRICE$

SO... lists and the thoughts of others as to what's necessary a/o just jam handy to have along keeps my flea mkt & garage sale adventures interesting and hopefully more productive

if i were to secure the vast majority of single purpose items on the above^^^ lists i would need to begin a TD/TTT build w/ a >3500# axle and cast iron framing materials and forego thoughts of using the Jeep as a TV and relegate future adventures to employ the F-350/super crew/power stroke D/4x4... :shock:

to all those who have contributed to this thread MANY THANKS :applause:

btw, there are several items listed above^^^ that will go on my SEARCH FOR list

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Fri May 26, 2017 9:26 am

capnTelescope wrote:

I gots to ask, "Why?" It makes a certain amount of sense for fun and games. Also to get your camping budds POed at you. :thinking: Any other reason? Scaring off the raccoons? :thumbsup: Okay, now I have to have one too. 8)

It's for certain situations. You'll know when the time is right. :R

I could really use an inflato-bigfoot.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Redneck Packrat » Sat May 27, 2017 7:09 am

tony.latham wrote:
capnTelescope wrote:

It's for certain situations. You'll know when the time is right. :R

I could really use an inflato-bigfoot.

Tony

A fake fuzzy tarantula works almost as well as a rubber snake, with the added benefit of fitting into your pocket for more-stealthy deployments. :twisted:

Was out once and with some folks on whom I had used Tara a few years before. Buddy looked down at the toe of his boot and told me it wasn't gonna work this time. I asked what he was talking about, he said your dang spider. I reached into my pocket and produced Tara and asked him if this is what he's talking about. He looked back down and the "fake fuzzy tarantula" had made its way up to his thigh. After a inventing a few words and a new dance step or two, he excused himself to go effect a change of clothing. :lol:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Sat May 27, 2017 5:01 pm

This is quite a list!

:SG I looked for Duct tape and Velcro tape and only saw adhesive tape. All three types can come in handy for various emergencies or make-do's.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Cubbie0708 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Hey Bear! Thank you for sharing your packing list with us. Here's my favorite teardrop accessory: a bathrobe! We usually take our showers at night and I wear mine to the showerhouse all the time (I don't care!). I hate having to do the the sticky-humid one-legged don't get your pant leg on the wet/dirty floor dance. And there are never enough hooks for one set of clothes, let alone two! It's a real life-saver for night-time bathroom treks. I got ours at the thrift store - mine is a nice nylon traveler's bathrobe but Tim's is a poly/cotton "vintage" old-man-in-the-loony-bin style. Both fold up pretty small, are nice and opaque, and wash/dry really fast.
Cubbie0708
Lifetime member

Postby kykate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 pm

Cubbie, that is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :D
Kate
kykate
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets