Ecotemp L5

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Ecotemp L5

Postby Onetype » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:02 am

I had originally planned on going with this water heater since it only requires batteries. I was going to mount it on the nose close to the propane tanks and plumb it into the water system. I didn't notice where they say not to permanently install this until recently. Is that just something they have to say for liability reasons? I seem to have seen more than 1 person use one of these in a permanent setting. If this is the case how would one go about setting up the plumbing to make it easy to set this up when needed? Thanks in advance.
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ecotemp L5

Postby Onetype » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:41 am

After looking on Amazon I think the best option is to just avoid this one and go with one of their bigger units made to be a permanent install.
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Postby M C Toyer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:13 pm

For what its worth I have an Eccotemp L-5 mounted permanently inside my trailer in the cabinet below the sink and next to the shower stall. The exhaust is vented through the outside via a triple wall flue. The floor below the unit also has an air vent in case of any propane leakage. I spaced the unit mount away from the interior walls and floor about 3 - 5 inches and lined the walls with a metal heat shield.

No problems whatsoever in 4 years of use except I replaced the cheap plastic water hose and spray head with a metal braded rubber hose and metal head because the furnished items softened and leaked from the water temperature.

M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby H.A. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:43 pm

ed it.
Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby ryan112ryan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:07 am

So I once had a massive remodel on my house and had to setup an outdoor shower and use it full time for a year. I used this L5 every day for a year and it worked really well except when there was a good breeze, the burner would blow out. It lasted about 1.5 years but I didn't shelter it at all and didn't winterize it either. I pretty much abused it and it worked. So I bet with a small bit of cover and a wind screen it would last a long time. It's also less than $100. Not a big deal to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ryan112ryan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Onetype » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:49 pm

ryan112ryan wrote:So I once had a massive remodel on my house and had to setup an outdoor shower and use it full time for a year. I used this L5 every day for a year and it worked really well except when there was a good breeze, the burner would blow out. It lasted about 1.5 years but I didn't shelter it at all and didn't winterize it either. I pretty much abused it and it worked. So I bet with a small bit of cover and a wind screen it would last a long time. It's also less than $100. Not a big deal to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sold :thumbsup: .
Onetype
Teardrop Builder

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets