Threaded fasteners--getting them off later

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Threaded fasteners--getting them off later

Postby Redneck Packrat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:19 pm

I know some (most?) of y'all know this, but it's important....

Rusty bolts/nuts? Tight slip fit parts? Ball hitch couplers? Even the screws in your taillight covers and that hold the taillights on. Do yourself a huge favor and spring for a jar of this stuff:

This stuff has several manufacturers, and is available most anywhere. I'm not pushing the twilight zone or the leprechauns but here's a couple links:

http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-cleaners-and-degreasers/lube/permatex-8-oz-226-8-g-anti-seize-lubricant/178722_0_0

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PER0/80078/N0490.oap?ck=Search_N0490_1124828_494&pt=N0490&ppt=C0139

Also formulated with copper instead of aluminum. Either one is amazing in its longevity and effectiveness. I just pulled a water pump off of an old John Deere that had 12-69 scratched into it by my dad when he put it on. (He always marked parts that way when he'd replace something. I've picked up that habit too, it's kinda neat to know the trivia of how long something lasted 8) ) Bolts came out of the holes as smoothly as if they'd been put in last month. Still had some gray slickum on 'em: The anti-seize he'd put on 'em 48 years ago!

So, bottom line is, if you want to make it easy on yourself or your kids on down the line, pick up a jar of this stuff and use it every time you put a fastener together under your trailer! :thumbsup:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Re: Threaded fasteners--getting them off later

Postby Dale M. » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:42 am

Stuff comes in tubes (like toothpaste) too... Lot easier to work with instead of out of bottle as you need a applicator.. With tube its like old Brylcreem ad "little dab will do you"...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby H.A. » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:38 pm

:beer:
Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Redneck Packrat » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:41 pm

H.A. wrote:This is evil stuff btw.
I dont care how careful one is. Smudges of it will migrate to every surface within 50' of where its applied.
:beer:

It may well be as dangerous as a hyperactive puppy with a dingleberry, but it's a whole lot more useful! :lol:
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby drhill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:38 am

I have found it very helpful to wipe this on the back of a rim where it contacts the hub. Especially on vehicles with aluminum wheels contacting steel hubs. My daughter had an experience with a rental truck where the wheel would not come off (to change a flat). A couple big farmers took turns ramming it with a fence post to break it loose from the hub.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I use it with regularity, when torquing bolts however there are two values, lubricated and un-lubricated, use the lubricated value.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I use it with regularity, when torquing bolts however there are two values, lubricated and un-lubricated, use the lubricated value.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:18 pm

After many years of using anti-seize, I have learned to use it sparingly, as it will spread to adjacent areas, unintentionally. My worst bad experience was using it on spark plug threads, screwing steel plug threads into aluminum heads. Using more than a "feather-touch" of the stuff will foul the plugs, which happened to me when racing, I changed plugs in a hurry between rounds, and must've been careless (luckily, it was on one of the plugs in an easy-to-reach cylinder (a couple of the plugs were a bear to reach). But, I was late to my next "finals" round, because I had to re-do all the plugs, to fix the misfire. I switched to NGK plugs, with a trivalent coating after that loss, to avoid using anti-seize in that location. I also had some contaminate a brake shoe, and that was also my fault, not to be repeated. But, used sparingly, and with caution, it's better than having to bust loose frozen parts later, using Panther Pee and an impact.

Another thing about it, is it has a tendency to migrate to any clean clothing I have on, sorta like magic. Dangerous stuff, indeed!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dan242 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:53 pm

Been using it for 35 plus years, good stuff
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Used to find it on my car door handle after work! Never caught that sob! And I wasn't the only one!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets