Out west trip

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Out west trip

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi, Mary:

Please be aware that there is rain headed our way. A storm is right off the coast, from below San Francisco all the way up north of California. It is due to arrive tonight and will continue at a reasonable clip through tomorrow. Up here, where I'm at, we are expecting about an inch of the wet stuff; and, after that, light showers are possible through Sunday.

The thing about rain in California is that a lot of people don't know how to drive in it. I'm not so worried about you as I am about the crazies that may be around you. Even though we had a lot of rain this winter, it's been a month or better since we've seen much. When it rains here, the water brings the oil up to the surface of the road which makes it like water on ice, requiring a little extra care that not everybody takes. So, if it's raining, keep one eye on the other guy on the road because some of these guys don't slow down.

Assuming that you'll be coming from the San Francisco/East Bay area via Highway 80 and are not planning to sight-see in Sacramento, you can take Highway 505 off of Hwy 80 to avoid Sacramento and cut off a lot of traffic as well as about a half hour of driving time from your trip. Hwy 505 is a nice, quiet highway that runs into Hwy 5, north, just above the Sacramento airport. Your turn-off for the 505 will be just past Vacaville.

Also, assuming your headed north on Hwy 5 in the rain, you would probably be safe to pull off at a rest area for a few winks of sleep. Unless they are truly desperate, crooks and bad guys are just like anybody else in the rain. If it's raining pretty good and it's only going to rain that way for the day, they'll most likely wait for a dry day and leave travelers alone while it's raining.

Stay safe!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:25 pm

Mary,

I'm heading to Alaska via Brian's farm. I'll be there (the farm) in about 3 weeks. Maybe I'll see you on the road.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Vedette » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 pm

Where are you Mary?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby razorback » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Macy and I stayed at the Petaluma KOA in 2014. Very nice park with very nice staff. When we checked in we found out they offer a tour of san fran most days in a 15 passenger van. Our guide was born and raised in san fran and took us on a very informative tour of most of the best spots of san fran. we left the park around 8:30 am and returned around
4:30 pm. we would never have been able to see as much as we did by ourselves. great value for the time spent.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:08 pm

Thanks to everyone for the comments after discussion with some friends at the Scottish Festival in Plymouth out of Sacramento I decided not to venture to San Francisco. I came to Redding. I now need to plan for my trip from here to Brian and Sandi's of course I need all the directions. I am sitting with my map now. I want to see the Red wood park. I will be going hwy 299 to the coast, continued up hwy 101 toRedwood National Park. Now what?
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for the comments after discussion with some friends at the Scottish Festival in Plymouth out of Sacramento I decided not to venture to San Francisco. I came to Redding. I now need to plan for my trip from here to Brian and Sandi's of course I need all the directions. I am sitting with my map now. I want to see the Red wood park. I will be going hwy 299 to the coast, continued up hwy 101 toRedwood National Park. Now what?
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Larry got your message too late but I will fly out later too see San Francisco.
Brad. I don't know how long it will be but tmeeting up at Brian s would be fun!
Brian I need directions!

Mary C
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Ooooooooo I'm sitting here with Sharon enjoying a glass of wine. Talking about my trip north and telling stories of past camp outs. I decided that my trip involves seeing the National Parks that should be my focused plan.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:37 am

Mary C wrote:I'm sitting here with Sharon enjoying a glass of wine.

That just warms my heart, right there, yup. So glad to hear that some of our good TNTTT friends are having a meet 'n great. :wine:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Mary C. says she's glad your heart is warm and that our minds and tummies are warm with wine and good food. Today, we went up to Lassen National Park where the air was warm but there was snow on the ground and the breezes were wonderful. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby deleted » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Aw that tickles me that the two of you got to meet. Having met each of you (Mary at CRA and Sharon at IRG) this feels like a six degrees or separation kind of thing :) Meeting folks from the forum has been one of the best parts of having a tiny trailer. Have fun on your grand adventure Mary!
deleted
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:57 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Mary C. says she's glad your heart is warm and that our minds and tummies are warm with wine and good food. Today, we went up to Lassen National Park where the air was warm but there was snow on the ground and the breezes were wonderful. :thumbsup:

Hi Sharon
Did you take her to Castle Crags and Mt Shasta before she heads over 299???
I hope to send her to Grants Pass to see Charlie if he is home.
And we have Ted preparing for her visit to the Olympic Peninsull (another NP on her bucket list??)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Vedette wrote:
S. Heisley wrote:Mary C. says she's glad your heart is warm and that our minds and tummies are warm with wine and good food. Today, we went up to Lassen National Park where the air was warm but there was snow on the ground and the breezes were wonderful. :thumbsup:

Hi Sharon
Did you take her to Castle Crags and Mt Shasta before she heads over 299???
I hope to send her to Grants Pass to see Charlie if he is home.
And we have Ted preparing for her visit to the Olympic Peninsull (another NP on her bucket list??)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi

Thanks, Brian.
Mary is trying to collect all the stamps and stickers that she can; but, they have to be from national parks. (She'll explain it to you when she sees you.)

Yesterday, we went to Whiskeytown National Park; and, on the way back, we walked through Old Shasta town. I did talk her into going to MacArthur-Burney Falls Memorial State Park today and she enjoyed that. But, I think I wore her out. She's napping now. This area is a little too hot for her; especially when we're having a triple digit heat wave. I told her about Castle Crags and McCloud; but, she said her schedule is too tight. She leaves for the Redwoods tomorrow and will probably be there for a couple days.

Yes, she and Charles have connected via phone. No word from Ted yet; but she thinks she may have that area sorted out.
That's all for now....
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 pm

I love it! Mary is on a trip of a life time and the TNTTT crew is feeding her all of the best options that she can choose from.

Thank you TNTTT. Thank you Big Mike. Thank you Sharon. Thank you Vedette. Thank you all.

I'll say it again, this just warms my heart! :angel:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:12 pm

A few pictures: