5' x 8' shell on a 5'6" x 8' trailer???

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

5' x 8' shell on a 5'6" x 8' trailer???

Postby Oldspoolcamps » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:00 am

Hello all,
I'm building my first TD and in the excitement to get started we went ahead and have constructed the 5' x 8' shell of our camper prior to buying our trailer. I ran across a great deal on a lightly used 5'6" x 8' trailer from a reliable source. I'm trying to figure out a way to tie the shell in to the larger trailer size and thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions. I thought about taking down one wall and making the floor larger and reattching the wall. Also thought about making the walls wider to fill in the extra space on each side. Or maybe offset shell to one side and utilize the 6" extra for some sort of storage? There's also the issue of whether all the extra trouble will save me any money in the end.
Thoughts MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jessica
Oldspoolcamps
Oldspoolcamps
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 5' x 8' shell on a 5'6" x 8' trailer???

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:43 am

Oldspoolcamps wrote:Hello all,
I'm building my first TD and in the excitement to get started we went ahead and have constructed the 5' x 8' shell of our camper prior to buying our trailer. I ran across a great deal on a lightly used 5'6" x 8' trailer from a reliable source. I'm trying to figure out a way to tie the shell in to the larger trailer size and thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions. I thought about taking down one wall and making the floor larger and reattching the wall. Also thought about making the walls wider to fill in the extra space on each side. Or maybe offset shell to one side and utilize the 6" extra for some sort of storage? There's also the issue of whether all the extra trouble will save me any money in the end.
Thoughts MUCH appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jessica
Oldspoolcamps

Welcome aboard.

My reaction is that this is the wrong trailer for your project. But it would be helpful to see pictures of your project––both the proposed trailer and your camper cabin––to give a meaningful suggestion.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:10 am

Running boards have been used to fill the gap in this scenario. You just have to be careful to avoid having water accumulate at the inside corner; leave a gap.

This assumes that the intermediate xmbrs are adequate to carry the loads to the main rails.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am

Not feasible to narrow trailer?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:43 pm

• I don't know what your plans are for camping in your trailer, but if I were in your position, I would use the 3" of additional space along the sides of your shell (if centered on the frame) for one or both of two things:
  • 1) external side storage- by bolting on steel or aluminum plate to extend the area, you could carry water, gas, propane tanks, your spare tire, and extra gear, without having to store them inside the trailer or tow vehicle-everyone always needs extra storage sometimes-, and
  • 2) externally supported, free standing rack-I've struggled to find a way to either carry more gear on my trailer, or to create an awning or tarp system, without spending hundreds of dollars experimenting, and drilling dozens of holes into my shell (extra holes=more chances for leaks); I finally decided to just use canopies, since too many holes was not an option. But, is I had a 3" space running along both sides of my cabin, then I could've made a free-standing rack/framework over the top, to be used as either a rack, or as a frame fork tarps or awnings over the trailer. No holes need be drilled into the shell at all. Another benefit, if going off the beaten path, would be protection from tree branches or bushes from impacting the shell itself (if the framework is sturdy enough). I am still considering doing something like this, sometime in the future, though I only have an inch of trailer frame exposed (I might have to weld extensions on, for the framework footing).
  • I saw this web page awhile back, when I had given up the idea of an awning framework, and already bought a second canopy, and constructed a small rack on my trailer front to carry them. As proposed by J.Scherb, an inventive member of several forums dealing with camping, outdoors, trailers, etc., it was a simple solution that I had not thought of before...I had always attached the parts (practically the same ones) directly onto the cabin, by drilling many holes, not as a free-standing structure. https://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-356.html. Here is a photo/drawing shown as an example
  • CanopyRack1 by J.Scherb.png
    CanopyRack1 by J.Scherb.png (679.21 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
    shown on a small off-road trailer, this could be enlarged to work on a larger TD, or TTT trailer
  • This might not fit in with your plans, nor with your aesthetic sensibilities, but I envy the extra trailer floor space you have, which could readily address my storage and awning problems.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets