Cook stove where, why there & which way is it facing

Here's where we keep the polls, and anyone can start a poll!

Cook stove where, why there & which way is it facing

Postby Ron Dickey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:53 pm

I have seen hundreds of trailers, teardrop and other types of trailers.

So when you designed it where did it go and why did you put it there. :scratchthinking:
Which way is it facing. Like back wall out or say left side facing Right.
Is it in the galley area at all? :roll: and if so is it on the side of the trailer? curb side
or on a separate table.

In our old trailer Box Kite we had not galley so we had a separate kitchen in a tent and the stove outside on a Coleman table designed for the stove.

Now we are building a new one and it will have a galley. in our design it would be pulled out from the galley and be on the curb side for American streets.

We had a fire once with it on a separate table and used a fire extinguisher to put it out. If this had been on the trailer ouch. :oops: It was a liquid white gas stove ... an older one. the gas built up and ran down the leg of the table made of metal but it was lit.

So where did you put your cook stove and why.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Cook stove where, why there & which way is it facing

Postby working on it » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 am

Ron Dickey wrote:I have seen hundreds of trailers, teardrop and other types of trailers.

So when you designed it where did it go and why did you put it there. :scratchthinking:
Which way is it facing. Like back wall out or say left side facing Right.
Is it in the galley area at all? :roll: and if so is it on the side of the trailer? curb side
or on a separate table.

In our old trailer Box Kite we had not galley so we had a separate kitchen in a tent and the stove outside on a Coleman table designed for the stove.

Now we are building a new one and it will have a galley. in our design it would be pulled out from the galley and be on the curb side for American streets.

We had a fire once with it on a separate table and used a fire extinguisher to put it out. If this had been on the trailer ouch. :oops: It was a liquid white gas stove ... an older one. the gas built up and ran down the leg of the table made of metal but it was lit.

So where did you put your cook stove and why.

Ron
  • I have/haven't a galley; well, not a proper galley, in the usual sense, but a storage area where I keep my cooking stove and white gas, among other things. The A/C unit and its' ducting, and the drip tray/Aquatainer nest took the bulk of the top shelf space (a Cube cooler, and the on-board generator had already claimed the bottom area), leaving me barely enough room to cram in my Coleman Corner. I put my Northstar dual-fuel lantern, my dual fuel stove, and a can or two of Coleman fuel in the corner, tucked under the ducting, and strapped in. Funnels, globes, lighters, and even the instruction books are tucked into fanny packs, screwed to the side walls. I tuck paper towels and kitchen wipes in beside the equipment, and nothing more. After I added the slide-out extended run fuel tank (and a nearby secondary fire extinguisher), and a center-mounted gas spring to the upper shelf, then obviously the area is full, so from necessity, I carry my "pantry box" separately. The pantry box is carried in the pickup bed, or now, on a front rack, and holds all canned goods (including Spam), utensils, openers, pots, pans, plates, and assorted single-serving condiments-cold, perishable food items are in the Cube cooler, in the galley.
  • I started camping using a knock-down cooking stand that I had built from a junked computer stand, painting it to match the trailer, bolted together with eight 1/4"-20 thumbscrews. Its' legs are secured to the trailer thru large eyebolts protruding from the frame.
  • knockdown side table.png
    knockdown side table.png (370.39 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
    works fine, secured by eyebolts; two shelves to hold stove and gear
  • On a later trip, I misplaced the thumbscrews, so I used a nearby concrete picnic table as my cookstand, but after being pelted with tree debris from overhead, I decided to make smaller side tables (using T-bolt hardware to slide onto studs on the trailer walls), that required no extra hardware (except for stabilizer posts), which are carried in a canvas bag inside my cabin. I also carry one or two plastic storage shelves (with legs), assembled as a table, or two, to keep my extra cooler off the ground, but also serve as another cooking stand, if I choose to use it. So, I can set up my camping area where I can utilize tables on either or both sides of the trailer (that's why I bought a second canopy, in case I wanted to set up that way), and I get my water from the Aquatainer in the galley, and clean up with the supplies also located there. It turned out to functional well, despite having no dedicated area within the galley for traditional food service, but my trailer is far from traditional, so it suits my needs, as is.
  • max setup.png
    max setup.png (773.47 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
    cooking stand (2 shelves, mounts on either side), side tables (1 on each side), two plastic shelves as tables = plenty of food prep,cooking, and eating space.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am

White gas stove fires... you're giving me flashbacks to my youth.

Our stove is on a slider. It's a Primus Firehole. I selected it because it's rubber fuel line exits from the bottom. That feature makes it easy to plumb into a 1-pound bottle that sits in the drawer below it. The bottle remains attached until it's time to change it. (Those bottles last us two to three nights.)

Pull the stove out, pop the piezo and set the coffee pot. Done.

Why is it on the left? The galley is designed around the seven-gallon water jug, the need for the drawer below it to hold the propane bottle, and the cooler cavity. I could flip flop it and put it on the right.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 pm

The location was dictated by the gas line feeding the water heater
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Return to User Polls