what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:36 am

I am pulling my Cargo Trailer Conversion with a 2011 Ford F150 4WD with 302 V8. Love this truck! it has been great!

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rebar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am

Ford E350 re-powered with intercooled 1991 cummins NV4500 5 speed, 29 mpg unloaded. 15 mpg pulling a lifted 24' featherlite toyhauler 14000# gross.

Dream is to convert the van to 4x4 and acquire a smaller toyhauler capable of off road.
97 12 valve 4x4 5 speed
rebar
Teardrop Master

Postby Ohio_Steve » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:29 pm

2016 Toyota 4Runner

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Retired, and Exploring the USA in a 4Runner and Hiker Trailer [Photo Gallery]
Follow us on Facebook - Twitter - Instagram
Ohio_Steve
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sheddie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:54 am

My dad liked his Humber Super Snipe' for towing.
The first one here is a 1954 4.2L 6cyl 4speed manual. After a few years ownership, health issues required that he move to an automatic.
The one below was the first of many of the "series" Super Snipe' that he owned, 3L automatic.
Being a motor vehicle dealer he would no sooner buy himself a good one, then someone would want to buy it off him.
Please note, for the above two photos, from about 1967 you could no longer tow two trailers with a light vehicle (gvm under 3500kg)
The one below, was the last one he bought himself, it is a 1967 "series 5A". The last year they were produced.
He bought this one in 1970 at 8,000 miles. Mum and I banned him from selling this one.
My dad died in 1992 and I couldn't part with the car.
Above; My wife and I on our way to the South Island in 2007 for a classic car rally, towing the 13' Lightweight
poptop caravan that we sold when we built the teardrop.
I have now owned the Super Snipe longer than my dad did, and it pulls the teardrop with ease.
Foot note. This was the first car that I drove on the road when learning to drive and I am still driving it 45 years later.
Not many can say that. ;)
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Redneck Packrat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 am

'94 F250 4x4. Leaf front and back. 8800 GVW rating. Yeah, I know, overkill for a sortafoamie, but it also needs to do this:

When it's both of us, it'll be getting dragged around by an '04 F150 supercrew which I don't have any pics of.
Bill
Texas Gulf coast, near Corpus

Working on this, started 5/2017: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=68614

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield :?
Redneck Packrat
Teardrop Master

Postby blentz » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blentz
Teardrop Builder

Postby rxberg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:43 pm

2014 VW Touareg TDI

6 cylinder turbo diesel with GVWR: 6400 lbs, Towing capacity: 7700 lbs

Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:42 pm

rxberg wrote:2014 VW Touareg TDI

6 cylinder turbo diesel with GVWR: 6400 lbs, Towing capacity: 7700 lbs

That is an awesome towing capacity for car/crossover? :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby rxberg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

flboy wrote:
That is an awesome towing capacity for car/crossover? :thumbsup:

The towing capacity was one of the major things I was looking for to replace this:

The Touareg is the smallest vehicle I've had since high school, so had to still be able to tow/haul around my toys.
Jon (& Lynne)

Build Thread

rxberg
Teardrop Builder

Postby dancam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Sheddie wrote:My dad liked his Humber Super Snipe' for towing.
The first one here is a 1954 4.2L 6cyl 4speed manual. After a few years ownership, health issues required that he move to an automatic.
The one below was the first of many of the "series" Super Snipe' that he owned, 3L automatic.
Being a motor vehicle dealer he would no sooner buy himself a good one, then someone would want to buy it off him.
Please note, for the above two photos, from about 1967 you could no longer tow two trailers with a light vehicle (gvm under 3500kg)
The one below, was the last one he bought himself, it is a 1967 "series 5A". The last year they were produced.
He bought this one in 1970 at 8,000 miles. Mum and I banned him from selling this one.
My dad died in 1992 and I couldn't part with the car.
Above; My wife and I on our way to the South Island in 2007 for a classic car rally, towing the 13' Lightweight
poptop caravan that we sold when we built the teardrop.
I have now owned the Super Snipe longer than my dad did, and it pulls the teardrop with ease.
Foot note. This was the first car that I drove on the road when learning to drive and I am still driving it 45 years later.
Not many can say that. ;)

Thats quite an amazing story! And your right, not many people can say they have driven the same car 45 years.
I still love my first car, it was 15 years old and rusty when i bought it, i never expected it to last since the guy i bought it from figured it was miled out. I did more stupid and crazy things in it than i can even remember. It finally finished rusting out after i drove it 9 1/2 years and 245,000km. I really wish i had taken care for the body rust, not driven it in lakes... and so on.
Its sitting in the back of my yard now. I really had wanted to make it to 500k and i have to decide if i will make it my winter beater and still try and do that or not.
But anyway, love your car! Can you still get parts for it? What kind of fuel milage do you get towing? :)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm

dancam wrote:But anyway, love your car! Can you still get parts for it? What kind of fuel milage do you get towing? :)

Hi Dan, thank you. Yes it is a lovely old car and apart from the paint getting a bit shabby is all original and in near new condition.
Parts; Fortunatly we have never needed many parts for it and the service parts like brakes and bearings etc are common enough. A few years ago I had to get a new power shaft made for the power steering, but that was a simple enough one to make. Most of the components like brakes, electrical, fuel, transmission etc are shared by a lot of the other manufacturers so if you know what you are looking for you can find it on a Jaguar, Rover, Austin or the like. Body parts would be the issue, the only way there is second hand or make something.
Fuel milage; With a Supersnipe you don't think much about that, you just fill it up and enjoy the drive. 8) As the old saying went, "they could pass anything except a petrol station". They got that reputation mainly from the the big old monsters of the 1940s and '50s. The one I have, just touring on the highway will get 22 - 24 mpg, and puting the teardrop on the back won't effect that a lot. Towing our previous caravan around the South Island was a bit different, although it wasn't a lot bigger than the teardrop, it was 8ft wide and with the big flat front on it, we may as well have had a parachute out the back. But we were still getting about 16-18mpg. The old 1954 Supersnipe dad had was probably about that on its own. :o
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Trevor57 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 pm

My 1986 Volvo 240, and my old converted trailer. It towed that trailer very well, and the camper I am building right now should be lighter. Volvo rated these cars to tow 3,300 lbs at 50 mph per the owners manual! Image

This car is not going to be towing anywhere near that amount, but I can assure you that merging onto a highway is not an issue. With a trailer, or without. :twisted:

Trevor57
Teardrop Builder

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:59 pm

dancam wrote:I still love my first car, it was 15 years old and rusty when i bought it, i never expected it to last since the guy i bought it from figured it was miled out. I did more stupid and crazy things in it than i can even remember. It finally finished rusting out after i drove it 9 1/2 years and 245,000km. I really wish i had taken care for the body rust, not driven it in lakes... and so on.
Its sitting in the back of my yard now. I really had wanted to make it to 500k and i have to decide if i will make it my winter beater and still try and do that or not.

So Dan, what was your first car :QM
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 am

Sheddie wrote:
dancam wrote:But anyway, love your car! Can you still get parts for it? What kind of fuel milage do you get towing? :)

Hi Dan, thank you. Yes it is a lovely old car and apart from the paint getting a bit shabby is all original and in near new condition.
Parts; Fortunatly we have never needed many parts for it and the service parts like brakes and bearings etc are common enough. A few years ago I had to get a new power shaft made for the power steering, but that was a simple enough one to make. Most of the components like brakes, electrical, fuel, transmission etc are shared by a lot of the other manufacturers so if you know what you are looking for you can find it on a Jaguar, Rover, Austin or the like. Body parts would be the issue, the only way there is second hand or make something.
Fuel milage; With a Supersnipe you don't think much about that, you just fill it up and enjoy the drive. 8) As the old saying went, "they could pass anything except a petrol station". They got that reputation mainly from the the big old monsters of the 1940s and '50s. The one I have, just touring on the highway will get 22 - 24 mpg, and puting the teardrop on the back won't effect that a lot. Towing our previous caravan around the South Island was a bit different, although it wasn't a lot bigger than the teardrop, it was 8ft wide and with the big flat front on it, we may as well have had a parachute out the back. But we were still getting about 16-18mpg. The old 1954 Supersnipe dad had was probably about that on its own. :o

Nice. I enjoy seeing cars like this on the road still. Not many in this area because of the rust.

Sheddie wrote:
dancam wrote:I still love my first car, it was 15 years old and rusty when i bought it, i never expected it to last since the guy i bought it from figured it was miled out. I did more stupid and crazy things in it than i can even remember. It finally finished rusting out after i drove it 9 1/2 years and 245,000km. I really wish i had taken care for the body rust, not driven it in lakes... and so on.

So Dan, what was your first car :QM

Im sure i had posted it in here but cannot for the life of me find it back and im not gonna read the whole thread to find it. It was a 1993 ford festiva. Bought it with 219k in 2007.
Looked like this when i bought it (fresh coat of paint and bondo over the rust)

This is now :(

It was my tow car for everything, it could handle way more than the 02 civic and would go through anything. I used chains while pulling a trailer more than once :)

But i really abused it. All the time...

Spent half an hour stuck on this boat launch before someone found us. No handbrake and the water was making our feet wet. No cell reception and i couldnt take my foot off the brake..

Was our wedding car and we did a road trip honeymoon in it...

But i could talk for hours about it, so i digress. 30mpg is the lowest ive gotten while towing though.

Building the trailer above for a cross canada trip but had to replace the car. Spend 6 months building its replacement:

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 am

Hi Dan, I love it. It is probably more of a parts car now, but they sure do take a bit of killing.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles