Painting frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Painting frame

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:43 am

I'm looking at paints to touch up modifications and additions to the current Ironton 5X8 steel utility trailer and feel comfortable going with basic Rustoleum. I think one will do it - mostly an 8' piece of 2 x 2 tube, and a few holes drilled here and there. Leaning towards a quart of the basic gloss enamel - under $9 on Amazon - but also see acrylic as well as other solvent based sprays - also inexpensive. Seems like rolling on with a disposable roller would be pretty simple.

Wish I could find in pints.

I know the POR15 products get raves here but 4+ times the cost isn't justified as I suspect either will outlive me and I'm not building an heirloom, just a tent on wheels I don't have to set up in the rain.

Thanks for your help!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Painting frame

Postby les45 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:20 am

I've used Rustoleum spray and quarts with good experience. After it fully cures (7 days on some paints) it is very hard and wears well. If you are painting white metal you will need a good primer. I use Zinsser oil base primer also with good results.
les45
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pm

les45 wrote:I've used Rustoleum spray and quarts with good experience. After it fully cures (7 days on some paints) it is very hard and wears well. If you are painting white metal you will need a good primer. I use Zinsser oil base primer also with good results.

"white metal" = raw/new steel?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby les45 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:17 pm

QueticoBill wrote:
les45 wrote:I've used Rustoleum spray and quarts with good experience. After it fully cures (7 days on some paints) it is very hard and wears well. If you are painting white metal you will need a good primer. I use Zinsser oil base primer also with good results.

"white metal" = raw/new steel?

yes; usually refers to bare steel that has been sanded or blasted to base metal
les45
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets