New guy in PA

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

New guy in PA

Postby Sam I am » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:24 pm

Hi, teardroppers!
I found this site a year ago and have been observing (sounds better than "lurking") ever since. I've gathered a bunch of info from you guys, and tons of photos from the Hall of Fame builds. I (and my wife, of course) have decided to finally build a teardrop this summer!
I'm located in Centre County in the middle of PA. I found a vendor for all kinds of plywood, including some flexible stuff only 20 miles from home. It's called Industrial Plywood, Inc. (industrialplywood.com) with locations in Lewistown and Reading, PA. I haven't been there yet, but I plan to check them out ASAP.
I plan to use a 5' wide Red Trailers unit to build on. Four feet seems just too small! PLan B is to use a four foot wide trailer (cheaper), and build out over the wheels, but then I have to build taller to get the mattress above the wheel wells, making a higher center of gravity on a narrower track.
Any thoughts on this?
I will no doubt be asking questions as I go along, and I know that you folks will give good answers!
And, yes I will post pics of the build as I go!

Sam Stitzer
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:40 pm

wecome Sam i am, I love green eggs and ham. I'm sorry I just couldn,t resist. ;)
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Nytewyng » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:04 am

Welcome to the nuthouse , couldnt resist either

Enjoy the wealth of information here
Rob and Deb Mangano
Nytewyng
500 Club

Welcome Sam

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Sam

I live in the greater York area, but I am very familiar with the center of the state I have family in McClure, Lewisburg, Williamsport etc...

It is great to know about the supplier you mentioned I will check it out.

I had many of the same thought that you did when I built my TD. I thought a needed 5 width as a minimum. At the time I didn't know about Red Trailers. So I build my Zephyr TD on the frame of a 4 ft wide HF. I extended the body over the wheels.

The only way I could figure out how to attach the sides in this case was to build a plywood abd 2x4 frame deck. The trailer was attached to this and the TD was built off this "foundation." Someone else may have a better way... I know I have a very solid and stable TD now.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop.htm

Here is a quick tour and overview of how I did it.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%20Slideshow.htm

Let's see what you can come up with!

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:42 am

Sam-

Welcome fellow Central Pa'er!

We live in Lewisburg.

I think the 4' over the wheels is a great idea!

Build your bed on top of the wheel wells.

It's what I did, albiet a bit bigger.

Mine is 6'w x 10' l x 5' h.

Check out my album.

We usually do a winter thing @ RB Winter State Park (the SnowFest) in Feb. Interested?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Well Sam I am,
Welcome and you know what to expect so enjoy. 8)
Personally I would opt for the 5' wide if possible.

Aunti M
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Sam I am » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks. Dee Bee and Coop, your methods of building out over the wheels look good, as do your teardrops! However, I think I still prefer the traditional wheels & fenders outside the body look, plus the added stability of a wider track. The trailer will still fit sideways in the front of my garage for storage, too. I plan to go to Red Trailers in Quakertown later this week and pick one up. Holy cow, it's happening! :shock:
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 pm

Sam,

Welcome to the board! I am in the York area. What profile are you going to use? Or have you settled on one yet?? Have you considered building or having a trailer frame built?? I am pretty sure that you could build your own frame for about the same that the Red Trailer is going to cost you! Just a thought. Again, welcome to the board and the insanity that is teardropping! :lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Kens » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:34 pm

I built on a TS 4' wide trailer. I also built over the wheels almost. Didn't build over but between. The inside is 57 1/2" with 6" foam the wheel wells only stick out a few inches and thats down by your shins were you don't need the width. Works for me.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby Sam I am » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:04 pm

I'm not 100% sure of the profile yet. I've drawn up about a dozen design variations in AutoCAD duing the past year. Most are for a 4'x8' side panel with all the curves being arcs -no ellipses, similar to the Benroy. Makes it easy to lay out and cut. But I really like the elliptical shape of the Cub/Modernistic, and Mike's Ultralight designs. If I can get 5'x9' or 5'x 10' plywood I might just go with one like them. The extra length & height would be nice! I don't want a splice on the sides. I'll buy a trailer frame because I don't have the facilities, equipment, or skills to weld up a frame. Plus the Red Trailers come with a Certificate of Origin which I'm told makes registration easier than a homemade frame.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Sam I am wrote:.................. Plus the Red Trailers come with a Certificate of Origin which I'm told makes registration easier than a homemade frame.

Very true! I almost forgot that you are in PA. I just put a plywood bed on my HF frame and got it registered as a Utility trailer. Actually, mine is registered as a "Special contructed" or something like that and I am sure that yours will be considered the same because it is a kit. You should do a search for "Okume" (sp), it comes in 5 x 10 sizes. 1/4" is fine for the external sidewall if you are going to do sandwich construction. You will not need to use 5x10 on the inside, so 2 sheets will do. Just a suggestion.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Sam,

You know, you can draw two arcs that could closely replicate an ellipse. That's what I did on the back of the generic Benroy.

If you need a hand with arcs that will get you close to an ellipse, let us know. Andrew or I could probably get you pointed in the right direction...

Mike...

Sam I am wrote:I'm not 100% sure of the profile yet. I've drawn up about a dozen design variations in AutoCAD duing the past year. Most are for a 4'x8' side panel with all the curves being arcs -no ellipses, similar to the Benroy. Makes it easy to lay out and cut. But I really like the elliptical shape of the Cub/Modernistic, and Mike's Ultralight designs. If I can get 5'x9' or 5'x 10' plywood I might just go with one like them. The extra length & height would be nice! I don't want a splice on the sides. I'll buy a trailer frame because I don't have the facilities, equipment, or skills to weld up a frame. Plus the Red Trailers come with a Certificate of Origin which I'm told makes registration easier than a homemade frame.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Sam I am » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Thanks Mike! I might experiment a bit in CAD with approximating ellipses with arcs. I'm impressed! I've only been a member here for a day, and already I've gotten a bunch of help and support! You guys rule!

:thumbsup:
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Sam I am » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:09 pm

Here's one of the profiles I might use. I hope the image shows up!

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/samstitz/ ... pg&.src=ph
Sam I am
500 Club

Return to General Discussion