Total Eclipse 2017

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Total Eclipse 2017

Postby DrCrash » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:22 pm

We priced Koa and private campgrounds in the Kentucky track. Between 110 -160 bucks a night with all of them having at least 4 night minimum . Hotels [ lmao ] between 380 and 800 bucks a night if you can find one with openings. I am hearing the state campgrounds will be next to impossible to secure a site over the internet or phone.
DrCrash
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:55 am

An article in todays's Post Register (Idaho Falls):

Eastern Idaho expected to be a top eclipse destination
Posted: December 10, 2016 4:20 p.m.

By LUKE RAMSETH
[email protected]
In just over eight months, a crush of people will descend on eastern Idaho — likely more than the region has ever hosted at once.

They will come here because it’s expected to be among the best places in the nation to view the “Great American Eclipse” on the morning of Aug. 21. It will be the first total solar eclipse seen from the mainland U.S. in nearly four decades.

Eclipse chasers will fly from countries around the world, packing hotel rooms and campsites they booked months, or even years, in advance. Thousands more will make the decision to see the once-in-a-lifetime event only a few weeks or days beforehand, driving south from Montana or north from Salt Lake City. Attendance estimates have ranged wildly, from 50,000 people to 500,000.

“Imagine the largest public gathering that ever occurred in your area, and multiply that by two? Or 10? It could be either,” said Michael Zeiler, an eclipse expert and cartographer from Santa Fe, N.M., who runs the website greatamericaneclipse.com.

Government planning will ramp up in the coming weeks. On Wednesday, the city of Idaho Falls hosts a meeting of officials from eight regional counties to begin mapping out the event. It will include discussion of forming a regional “Type 3” incident management team.

The team will include police, fire and public health officials who ensure everything from traffic, to emergency services and public information flows smoothly in the days around the eclipse, which falls on a Monday, city of Idaho Falls spokeswoman Kerry Hammon said.

“We’re inventing something unique,” Idaho Falls Mayor Rebecca Casper said of the planning process. “We have no way to really gauge how many visitors (we’ll get).”

The eclipse will pass over a 67-mile-wide path moving west to east across the country, covering a stretch of land between Shelley and Ashton. Casper said she has also been in touch with officials outside the path, including Pocatello Mayor Brian Blad, who also are expected to see an influx of visitors.

Hotel rooms in the Idaho Falls area long ago sold out, other than a few held open for regular non-eclipse business travelers, said Michelle Holt, CEO of the Greater Idaho Falls Chamber of Commerce.

Hotels and other lodging options require four-night minimums around eclipse time, and will charge sometimes hundreds of dollars per night more than usual, said Tom Walsh, chairman of the Yellowstone Teton Territory, the tourism organization that covers six eastern Idaho counties.

Walsh, who runs the Hansen Guest Ranch in Swan Valley, said he’s been booked for the eclipse since before summer. His guests include groups from Luxembourg, Germany, Canada, France, Australia and California. He said many are coming for the eclipse, then looking to tour the national parks, or do any number of other outdoor activities as part of a larger vacation.

Plenty of visitors will be staying outdoors, in a campground, open Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management land — and probably sometimes on private property, Walsh said.

“People are probably going to be putting a tent out in a pasture somewhere,” Walsh said. “I’m serious. That’s going to happen.”

Casper said the city is considering opening Sandy Downs or other public spaces around the city to camping. City officials also are starting to think about logistics such as renting dozens of portable toilets in advance, and setting up areas for RVs to dump their waste, she said.

Zeiler, the eclipse expert, created an interactive map that shows where major U.S. population centers are most likely to go to watch the eclipse, based on driving distance. Eastern Idaho could be among the busiest, considering its proximity to Interstate 15.

To the south, eclipse goers will come here from Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Phoenix and parts of southern California, due to the faster drive time. To the north, the Idaho Falls area is also the logical place to see the eclipse if you live anywhere in western Montana — or even the Canadian cities of Calgary and Edmonton.

“The interstate acts as a funnel for many millions of people, many of whom won’t make a decision (on where to see the eclipse) until a week before, or even a day before, their trek,” Zeiler said.

A higher probability of clear weather is another factor that may convince people to see the eclipse in eastern Idaho over other locales, Zeiler said. For experienced eclipse watchers like himself, the region between Nebraska and Oregon is the “sweet spot” because the weather is more likely to cooperate, he said. Websites such as eclipsophile.com are devoted to helping predict clear weather on Aug. 21.

It will have been 99 years since the last total solar eclipse traced the length of the U.S. The last time an eclipse traced an “extended track” over such a populated area as the 2017 version was a European eclipse in 1999, Zeiler said.

Zeiler watched it from Austria — one of eight eclipses he’s seen around the world — and recalls large crowds. But he said even that eclipse attendance is hard to compare to the coming American version: We didn’t have social media, or a mature internet at the time.

“Social media is going to go nuts in the days and months leading up the eclipse,” he said.

Where does Zeiler plan to take in the eclipse next summer? Probably eastern Idaho. But he’ll be watching the weather closely, he said, and will prepare to drive hundreds of miles in either direction, at the last minute, to ensure he doesn’t miss it.

“It’s unlike anything else you’ve ever seen in your life,” Zeiler said he tells eclipse newbies. “You will just be stunned at the spectacle, and it will affect you at a very primal level. It’s a deeply emotional event.”
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:16 pm

Tony. I am kind of planning on going a bit north of Howe Idaho. I will probably go up and scout the area in June or July. Also keep an eye on the plans for Walk the Winds. I already told the Boss I was not going to be working those days. Told him that back July this year. This will be my last chance to see a total eclipse and am not letting a little thing like work get in the way.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:54 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Tony. I am kind of planning on going a bit north of Howe Idaho. I will probably go up and scout the area in June or July. Also keep an eye on the plans for Walk the Winds. I already told the Boss I was not going to be working those days. Told him that back July this year. This will be my last chance to see a total eclipse and am not letting a little thing like work get in the way.

Randy

That Little Lost country should be good and lonely! :thumbsup: :pictures:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 pm

There was a total eclipse in the early 80s. I can't remember the whole path but norther Idaho was in it. I am still planning on seeing this one and still planning on Howe. I might see about getting some small camper trailer people also. Anything for a party. Right?
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby booyah » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:37 am

Wolffarmer wrote:There was a total eclipse in the early 80s. I can't remember the whole path but norther Idaho was in it. I am still planning on seeing this one and still planning on Howe. I might see about getting some small camper trailer people also. Anything for a party. Right?

I remember this one, I was probably in 1st or 2nd grade :)

I'm booking a site now i think in Land between the lakes and seeing if we can get other fun stuff while we are down there. Bringing 2-3 of the kids with me :thumbsup:
My build, 5x8 modified benroy "Smiles to go". Started April 2nd 2015, first trip August 2nd 2015.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63145
booyah
The 300 Club

Postby gudmund » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 am

it was in early maybe, Mar/apr of 79, I was in the unemployment office in Everett, Wash. about 9am when it happened. Was about a week from starting work with Boeing (the 1st time - total of 4 times in all before doing my 31 year stent in the prison system :thumbsup: more job security than Boeing)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby GuitarPhotog » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:36 am

I saw the 1979 total eclipse from the bluff above the Columbia River Gorge near Goldendale WA. Close to the Stonehenge Replica. It was truly awe-inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing my 2nd one.

:beer:
<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:44 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:I saw the 1979 total eclipse from the bluff above the Columbia River Gorge near Goldendale WA. Close to the Stonehenge Replica. It was truly awe-inspiring. I'm looking forward to seeing my 2nd one.

:beer:
<Chas>

Good thing it is early in the day, as you will see it so much more clearly. :beer: :beer: :beer:
How are you doing my friend.
Have you been working on the Aristocrat?
What site are you in at Shasta?
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Here's a great site. Click on where you'll be and it'll give you the details of what you'll see: Start of partial, start of total and how long.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html?Lat=44.5047&Lng=-114.2317&Zoom=9&Map=%27ROADMAP%27&OMap=0

In the upper right, click on Map to for an aerial photo.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dguff » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 am

slowcowboy wrote:So what happens if Wyoming has forest fire smog?.?. Lots of butt hurt people...???.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

The eclipse will be postponed until it clears up.
Jerome

2008 Guffman
dguff
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:28 am

We came home from the Sunsets & Crabs Gathering this past Tuesday to Smoky skies, as there were more than 200 wild fires burning in B.C. :cry:
But, things seem to be clearing up now.
I am sure those who attend the Gathering in Shaniko will have a pretty clear view of the eclipse. ;)
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

slowcowboy wrote:So what happens if Wyoming has forest fire smog?.?. Lots of butt hurt people...???.

I'd suppose everyone in Wyoming would be disappointed to miss the eclipse because of wildfire smoke. :(

Doubly disappointed, if they have to watch their backside at the same time. :R
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MarcInBoise » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:21 pm

tony.latham wrote:August 21, 2017. Total eclipse across the continental U.S. 8) 8) 8) (The next one will be in 2024 and a long way from the west.)

Here's the map:

Detailed information:
http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

Perhaps we can have a few photos of our 'drops camped and shaded by the moon? :thinking: :thumbsup: :pictures:

Tony

Hey Tony, wife and I dragged our TD through your town last weekend on our way home from Banff and Glacier.
Parked on Main and had dinner Saturday evening at Fiesta al... something.

Was wishing I could have looked you up to thank you for all the advice a couple years ago while building our drop.
She's been amazing and gets a lot of use!
MarcInBoise
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion