Propane stove for high altitude

stand up or sit down...to sink or not to sink...want or got gas...post your Q&A here..........

Propane stove for high altitude

Postby gene so » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:04 am

Hello,
I am building a teardrop style trailer for hauling behind my 4 x 4 to be used both at civilized campgrounds and deep in the wilderness, The living space will be about 200 cu . Ft. I am seeking a propane space heater that will keep the cabin warm in inclement weather. From Minnesota, the cabin is being insulated adequately now. We are retired to 6,500 feet and I realize some propane units simply do not work efficiently this high. I also have found out some do not have a thermostat. With the insulation in winter, I am sure I will want to be adjusting the furnace for a long, safe winters' sleep; that is safe and comfortable.
I'd appreciate any insight so that I purchase only one type pf heater that is correct for the long term.

Thanks, in advance,

Gene So
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Propane stove for high altitude

Postby Jscwerve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:06 pm

I live at around 5500 feet. I've never had a problem with a propane appliance or tool.

I camp regularly at 9-11k feet and still have never really had any issues. Efficiency loss, yes, but not functional problems.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby MtnDon » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Ask the manufacturer if the appliance has an elevation limit. Many do. Many have replaceable orifices that reduces the amount of propane flow, but many do not. There are 2 things that can happen; carbon build up which may mean extra clean up and production of CO. Calculate the BTU efficiency loss to be about equal to a 3% reduction for every 1000 feet.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby John61CT » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:47 pm

propex hs2211, ask at the Westy forum about altitude issues
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Plumbing & Propane Secrets