what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Trevor57 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:11 pm

My 1986 Volvo 240, and my old converted trailer. It towed that trailer very well, and the camper I am building right now should be lighter. Volvo rated these cars to tow 3,300 lbs at 50 mph per the owners manual! Image

This car is not going to be towing anywhere near that amount, but I can assure you that merging onto a highway is not an issue. With a trailer, or without. :twisted:

Image
User avatar
Trevor57
Teardrop Builder
 
Posts: 36
Images: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:19 pm
Location: IL

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:59 pm

dancam wrote:I still love my first car, it was 15 years old and rusty when i bought it, i never expected it to last since the guy i bought it from figured it was miled out. I did more stupid and crazy things in it than i can even remember. It finally finished rusting out after i drove it 9 1/2 years and 245,000km. I really wish i had taken care for the body rust, not driven it in lakes... and so on.
Its sitting in the back of my yard now. I really had wanted to make it to 500k and i have to decide if i will make it my winter beater and still try and do that or not.


So Dan, what was your first car :QM
User avatar
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1474
Images: 1083
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby dancam » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:48 am

Sheddie wrote:
dancam wrote:But anyway, love your car! Can you still get parts for it? What kind of fuel milage do you get towing? :)


Hi Dan, thank you. Yes it is a lovely old car and apart from the paint getting a bit shabby is all original and in near new condition.
Parts; Fortunatly we have never needed many parts for it and the service parts like brakes and bearings etc are common enough. A few years ago I had to get a new power shaft made for the power steering, but that was a simple enough one to make. Most of the components like brakes, electrical, fuel, transmission etc are shared by a lot of the other manufacturers so if you know what you are looking for you can find it on a Jaguar, Rover, Austin or the like. Body parts would be the issue, the only way there is second hand or make something.
Fuel milage; With a Supersnipe you don't think much about that, you just fill it up and enjoy the drive. 8) As the old saying went, "they could pass anything except a petrol station". They got that reputation mainly from the the big old monsters of the 1940s and '50s. The one I have, just touring on the highway will get 22 - 24 mpg, and puting the teardrop on the back won't effect that a lot. Towing our previous caravan around the South Island was a bit different, although it wasn't a lot bigger than the teardrop, it was 8ft wide and with the big flat front on it, we may as well have had a parachute out the back. But we were still getting about 16-18mpg. The old 1954 Supersnipe dad had was probably about that on its own. :o

Nice. I enjoy seeing cars like this on the road still. Not many in this area because of the rust.

Sheddie wrote:
dancam wrote:I still love my first car, it was 15 years old and rusty when i bought it, i never expected it to last since the guy i bought it from figured it was miled out. I did more stupid and crazy things in it than i can even remember. It finally finished rusting out after i drove it 9 1/2 years and 245,000km. I really wish i had taken care for the body rust, not driven it in lakes... and so on.
Its sitting in the back of my yard now. I really had wanted to make it to 500k and i have to decide if i will make it my winter beater and still try and do that or not.


So Dan, what was your first car :QM


Im sure i had posted it in here but cannot for the life of me find it back and im not gonna read the whole thread to find it. It was a 1993 ford festiva. Bought it with 219k in 2007.
Looked like this when i bought it (fresh coat of paint and bondo over the rust)
Image

This is now :(

Image

It was my tow car for everything, it could handle way more than the 02 civic and would go through anything. I used chains while pulling a trailer more than once :)

Image

Image

But i really abused it. All the time...

Spent half an hour stuck on this boat launch before someone found us. No handbrake and the water was making our feet wet. No cell reception and i couldnt take my foot off the brake..
Image

Image

Image

Image

Was our wedding car and we did a road trip honeymoon in it...
Image

But i could talk for hours about it, so i digress. 30mpg is the lowest ive gotten while towing though.

Image

Building the trailer above for a cross canada trip but had to replace the car. Spend 6 months building its replacement:
Image

Image

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:27 am
Location: Edmonton Alberta Canada
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Sheddie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 am

Hi Dan, I love it. It is probably more of a parts car now, but they sure do take a bit of killing.
User avatar
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1474
Images: 1083
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Dan242 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:29 pm

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/JB7HaCzgseXdQmtr62kLpwQsld04oUdC9O00ewssgduImagenew TV! Well at least for moving it around the yard. I think once the trailer is bigger than your TV, you may have problems
Last edited by Dan242 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Dan242
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 95
Images: 21
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:47 pm
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby robuilt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:36 pm

2011 Jeep Wrangler Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
robuilt
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 pm
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby AZKayaker » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 pm

1999 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8.

Image
User avatar
AZKayaker
Teardrop Advisor
 
Posts: 71
Images: 38
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:02 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:46 am

Nice location, AZK. Where is that?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
User avatar
KCStudly
Donating Member
 
Posts: 8968
Images: 8051
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Southeastern CT, USA
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Camp4Life » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:29 am

Looks like Northern California. But I could be completely wrong considering I'm Canadian and have never been there lol :lol:
I'm just going by the scenery and the trees. My second guess would be AZ, hence the username.
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 223
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby KCStudly » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:59 am

Both likely guesses, but I was hoping for something a little more specific. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
User avatar
KCStudly
Donating Member
 
Posts: 8968
Images: 8051
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:18 pm
Location: Southeastern CT, USA
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:15 pm

KCStudly wrote:Nice location, AZK. Where is that?

Camp4Life wrote:Looks like Northern California. But I could be completely wrong considering I'm Canadian and have never been there lol :lol:
I'm just going by the scenery and the trees. My second guess would be AZ, hence the username.

KCStudly wrote:Both likely guesses, but I was hoping for something a little more specific. :lol:

Hi Camp4life. What about this location. Can you guess where this one is. It was where the Yogi Bear Movie was shot.
Image
Just north of Taupo on the Waikato River
"Filming took place on the Lake Whakamaru Reserve, Waikato, New Zealand, as it was winter in the northern hemisphere and to wait for summer would put the production end time to be six months longer than if in southern hemisphere". (Quote; thanks to Wikipedia).
User avatar
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1474
Images: 1083
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:26 pm
Location: Whangarei, New Zealand
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Gold5one » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm partial to those Dakota trucks. The size can't be beat for boon docking.
Back when they made small 5th wheels for mini trucks , they could used for some serious RV camping.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark
Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
Image
User avatar
Gold5one
Donating Member
 
Posts: 327
Images: 90
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:28 am
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Camp4Life » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 am

Sheddie wrote:
KCStudly wrote:Nice location, AZK. Where is that?

Camp4Life wrote:Looks like Northern California. But I could be completely wrong considering I'm Canadian and have never been there lol :lol:
I'm just going by the scenery and the trees. My second guess would be AZ, hence the username.

KCStudly wrote:Both likely guesses, but I was hoping for something a little more specific. :lol:

Hi Camp4life. What about this location. Can you guess where this one is. It was where the Yogi Bear Movie was shot.
Image
Just north of Taupo on the Waikato River
"Filming took place on the Lake Whakamaru Reserve, Waikato, New Zealand, as it was winter in the northern hemisphere and to wait for summer would put the production end time to be six months longer than if in southern hemisphere". (Quote; thanks to Wikipedia).


That looks like an awesome place to spend a couple weeks and do some hiking and canoeing!
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 223
Images: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby Akuma129 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 am

I use My 2007 Honda Pilot, yes I say Honda Pilot lol, please don't give me hell. I pull a home made enclosed I built in April this year and is awesome lol. :FNP /Users/JJ/Desktop/Travel Trailer Project/IMG_2350.JPG/Users/JJ/Desktop/Travel Trailer Project/IMG_2013.JPG
User avatar
Akuma129
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 9
Images: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Dallas Texas
Top

Re: what does everyone use for a tow vehicle.

Postby catinmoon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:00 am

Akuma129 wrote:I use My 2007 Honda Pilot, yes I say Honda Pilot lol, please don't give me hell. I pull a home made enclosed I built in April this year and is awesome lol. :FNP /Users/JJ/Desktop/Travel Trailer Project/IMG_2350.JPG/Users/JJ/Desktop/Travel Trailer Project/IMG_2013.JPG


As with so many vehicles, I love the square style of the older versions of the SUVs. The new blob shaped vehicles are so hard for me to see out of. The Pilot has a classic look. Great tow vehicle I would think. does the back door swing out or up?
User avatar
catinmoon
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 121
Images: 10
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:17 pm
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest