camp cooking

Ask questions about or share pics of your latest find...

camp cooking

Postby stephent » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 pm

I make these out of 4 1/2 horseshoes (just over 12" in diameter on the outside). Some people use a few more for additional strength, but I can stand in the middle of this one and bounce up n down and it doesn't bend or break....nuff said there.

3_legged_oven_trivet.jpg
3_legged_oven_trivet.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 256 times

They work for the flat bottom skillets/DO's/etc to help keep them stable and up enuff to put the briquettes/coals under them. I have a bean pot that has the 3 little legs under it, but they are not long enuff for my tastes. I also made a 3 legged tripod-crane for hanging the cast iron stuff from chains over the fire.

camp_crane_coffeePot.jpg
camp_crane_coffeePot.jpg (46.1 KiB) Viewed 256 times

It works very well even for my coffeepot. I made the top where it hooks together sloppy so it would level up a bit easier....3 "S"-hooks thru the emt tubing flattened on one end with a drilled hole and then thru each other and bent shut. "S"hooks also support the chain and whatever bail you hook under them..I like cooking my beans outside with that little CI gallon and a half round bottom pot in the tripod picture.
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Re: camp cooking

Postby stephent » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:26 pm

I also make these simple charcoal holders for the cast iron lids without the outside upturned ring.. It's just a simple 1 1/2" to 2" tall sheet metal ring. This one is on a slightly rounded DO lid with the horseshoe trivet legs under it. Nothing new, but it's quite useful.
charcoal_holder.jpg
charcoal_holder.jpg (700.41 KiB) Viewed 243 times
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 am

Very cool horse-shoe trivet! :thumbsup:
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby stephent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks CAJUN LADY..... I made myself 2 of those and use one on coals to cook with and one off to the side for a hot lid holder. It really helps keep the lids clean. Specially if there's hot coals on top of it still and you are just checking yer biscuits,,,,or something...lol
I could sell 10 of those easily this week if I made them and put them on my FB page.. Lots of scouting in this area and many folks are discovering/rediscovering cast iron camp cooking too. There's a few calls for the sheetmetal ring to hold coals on top of round top lids too, I think my next one of those will just have simple half-across slots to hold it together and be adjustable for differing size lids too..The quickie weld shove the rod thru the metal looks like a mud fence but works...but isn't adjustable.
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cast Iron