Newbie from Seattle, WA (no clue what I'm doing!)

This is the place where you can introduce yourself, and include a photo if so desired.

Newbie from Seattle, WA (no clue what I'm doing!)

Postby Thickshell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey folks! So glad to be joining you all. I love the idea of building my own Teardrop and have for a couple of years now. I just ordered a custom trailer hitch and Ball (1 7/8") from E-Trailer for my 2000 Audi A4, and I'm purchasing a heavy duty folding trailer from Harbor Freight (1195lbs max weight) in a week or so.... So it is really happening!

Planning-wise, I'm at the point where I know I'd like the overall size to be 5'X9' (larger than the trailer itself) and I want a kitchen area with a hydraulic fold-up door in back. I also know that I'd really like to have a big picture window right above where my head will be resting in the main sleeping area. I don't want to feel claustrophobic inside the trailer. My big worry is firguring out the curve of the window to match the curve of the trailer itself, AND making sure the window doesn't leak or become corroded after time so you can''t see out of it anymore.

Also, did most of you plan out every detail from the beginning and then buy all the parts all at once, or did you find yourselves having to make adjustments and purchases along the way?

I have TONS more questions, but I'm going to scour the indexes first to see if I can find most of the answers. That's what this is here for, right??

Anyway, I am 100% excited to get started on this project and also 100% overwhelmed with the planning process!!! Haha! I don't know anything about framing, electrical, etc, but I realize I will make mistakes and have to learn the hard way in many cases.

Any and all advice and and words of encouragement will be accepted with humility and much appreciation!

Scott
Thickshell
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Newbie from Seattle, WA (no clue what I'm doing!)

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:10 pm

No clue can actually be an advantage, nothing to unlearn.
One thing a number of folks have done is build a full side cardboard mock-up. Come to a Tearjerkers gathering and see what others have done.
Read, lots of information here and folks willing to help.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby SC Campbell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 pm

Welcome Scott! Not knowing what we are doing hasn't stopped us yet....... Good group of people up your way. I am sure you will hear from Vedette soon. People here are happy to help. Please post pics as you build.

SC
WANTED: '45 Kit Kamper
SC Campbell
500 Club

Postby jim_manley » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi Scott - welcome to the fray!

Lack of clues isn't a problem for bumblebees flying - until recently, aeronautical engineers thought they shouldn't be able to fly at all, based on everything known about conventional aerodynamics up to that point. Fortunately, the bumblebees couldn't care less and just kept on keepin' on, doin' their bumblebee thang! TnTTT builders are sorta the same way - we just keep on keepin' on, doin' our teardrop and tiny travel trailers thang!

You will make your own share of mistakes, but try to make them original mistakes - not learning to avoid the mistakes of others (especially given how much knowledge has been imparted here for free) can be a big waste of money and time (and since time is money, that's money squared!). On the other hand, you don't want to suffer from analysis paralysis, unable to decide what to do indefinitely. At some point, you do have to just make command decisions and move on, just do it after consulting with the folks here who seem to make the most sense to you.

Sometimes, newbies come up with questions no one else has considered, and they make for interesting discussions, occasionally informed discussions, and other times blab fests that can be more entertaining than informative. That's part of being in this crazy community - the social aspects are often at least as much fun as the design and build processes. The gatherings, such as those of the Tear Jerkers, are outstanding opportunities to see a plethora (high-falutin' talk for "a lot") of approaches to the common and unique problems faced during TnTTT design and construction.

Good luck with your project and keep in touch - some of us are from the government and are here to help - we're not happy until you're not happy! :twisted: :cry: :shock: :? :FNP
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby SunTrekker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 am

Welcome Scott. I am also in Seattle (Lynnwood). I will be building one as well this winter. I look forward to following your progress. Please share any local resources you come across if you don't mind.

I was looking for push button cabinet hardware typically found on marine applications and came across Fisheries Supply near Gas Works Park.

Blue skies,
Scott.....yes two Scotts from Seattle on the same board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SunTrekker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:50 am

Scott:

I can taste your enthusiasm. That's the first thing needed. :thumbsup:

I stumbled upon Steve Fredrick's, Building a Wooden Teardrop Camper, and referred to it almost daily throughout my first build (and continued looking at it during my subsequent builds). I am a big believer in his construction methods. It's a 269 page download with lots of photographs and innovative ideas.

http://www.campingclassics.com/shopman05.html

And no... I'm not connected to Steve.

I suggest you order the major components well before you need them. Nothing like a back order to stop your project. :thumbdown:

Here's a video of my last project––featuring my wife cranking away on her son's wedding gift:

Tony :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby kokomoto » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Without that teardrop manual I am sure my recently finished teardrop would be a piece of junk. :frightened:

I probably spent more than a month sketching designs on grid paper before making any sawdust, and glad I did. It gave me time to scour this forum, and change things that definitely resulted in a better TD. I borrowed a lot of ideas from the builders on this forum, also very glad I did. I am not very creative, but can appreciate great ideas. My advice is to be painfully realistic about what your mission is (that's true with many vehicles), and start your design from there. I also added some things to my design just because I thought they were cool. 8)

Enjoy the build, and keep us posted!
kokomoto
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Also, did most of you plan out every detail from the beginning and then buy all the parts all at once, or did you find yourselves having to make adjustments and purchases along the way?

Welcome Scott, I wouldn't get too carried away with purchasing all the parts just the parts you currently need for the building phase your in.
I've made 6 teardrops and even though I pretty much know what is needed, I purchase in phases as to not have to store them or get in the way.
It was suggested you make a cardboard layout and I who heartedly agree, especially the end/profile view of the galley so that everything fits perfectly.
Good luck with your build and hope to see you at the T.O.W. pot luck in Federal Way "Old Country Buffet" in February.
T.O.W website: http://teardroptrailers.org/index.html
I'm in Puyallup, :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby SunTrekker » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:44 am

When you get to siding I just received a quote from Everett Steel for a 4x8 piece of aluminum siding for $95 before tax. Something to keep in mind. Not sure if that is a good price or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SunTrekker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi Scott,

I'm as new to the forum as you, so don't have a tested answer. My own plan is to find an acceptable version (several if possible) of everything that we think we might need on-line and keep a list (spreadsheet) with web site/brick store, price, and all of the important specs. This Fall I plan to sit down at the old drawing board (which, in this case is a literal old drawing board) and design the teardrop around the parts, using the specs. Once Shelly and I are satisfied with the design, we'll shop for the parts, from the original source if it makes sense, but elsewhere if we find a better deal. Hopefully that's a good compromise between feeling locked into using certain styles of lights, fenders, etc. because we already bought them and not having enough information about the products to draft a good design.

No doubt there will be changes after the build starts, partly because we'll change our minds about certain details and partly because we mis-understood what the part looks like, gets attached, etc. until we have it in hand, but hopefully we'll have a plan we like and so will more or less stick to it, and won't purchase too much wasted material along the way.

But that seems to be a lot more planning than many people do. It's a part of the process we enjoy.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Return to Newbies, Introduce yourselves