Skin Advice Needed

Finishes, paints and coatings

Skin Advice Needed

Postby ColoradoCody » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

I started off by painting the outside of my first tear and am noticing some bubbling on the thin front curve. I'm thinking about sanding the paint off and doing PMF instead which would also solve my concern about the strength of the front curve and potential rock impacts.

Thoughts? Advice?
I'd prefer to not take the wood off of the curve and start over, but if you suggest that please explain the full reason (since I'm new to all of this)

Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Skin Advice Needed

Postby cubbyboy57 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:30 pm

I am no expert,but I used 1/4 in Masonite for my front curve and did the PMF. It is an excellent covering! I used very little glue, but tons of gripper primer - 7 coats/ about 3 gallons. 3 coats of exterior house paint. So far not a leak or crack anywhere (1/2 way through the 2nd Texas summer). You might be able to just rough up the paint to get a good grip for the glue to stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cubbyboy57
Lifetime member

Postby ColoradoCody » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

cubbyboy57 wrote:I am no expert,but I used 1/4 in Masonite for my front curve and did the PMF. It is an excellent covering! I used very little glue, but tons of gripper primer - 7 coats/ about 3 gallons. 3 coats of exterior house paint. So far not a leak or crack anywhere (1/2 way through the 2nd Texas summer). You might be able to just rough up the paint to get a good grip for the glue to stick.

Thanks Cubby! What type of canvas did you use? Is there a thickness measurement?
Photos by day, photos by night. Bring on the stars!
ColoradoCody
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cubbyboy57 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:33 pm

I used harbor freight 9x12. Some packages the seam runs through the 12ft middle so you cut into 6x9. Others it runs through the 9ft middle so you get 4.5 x 12. If I remember I bought 4 and got 2 of each. They were cheap enough I still use one for a dust cover.

cubbyboy57
Lifetime member

Postby cubbyboy57 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:39 pm

Also don't get any treated, you want the canvas to absorb!

cubbyboy57
Lifetime member

Return to Skinning secrets