Help Skinning Interior with 1/8" Hardboard or Similar

Finishes, paints and coatings

Help Skinning Interior with 1/8" Hardboard or Similar

Postby ssuuki19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:31 pm

Had some downtime recently, telling myself that if I spend time on the forum thats at least considered work of some sort, call it research.. so my build is an outside-in, and I want to go with 1/8". I've read about marine plywood, the local hardware store chain has whats called 1/8" hardboard that's reasonably priced, but it doesn't look like it has any grain to it. Its ok if the walls are a little delicate to puncturing, weight is the major issue here, and nothing structural will be tied into these panels. Ideally they would have a wood grain look, but one consideration is that the aluminum l-track will probably be able to condense moisture the same way a window sill does, so ideally whatever product is used won't stain from moisture.
Flanged l-track is to be installed horizontally all over the interior so essentially I can cut pieces of plywood to fit all the gaps. And since the flanges of the l-track are 1/2" there's plenty room for vertical error. Hoping the panels can slide into their respective spots horizontally by bending them a bit to pass the flanges, the bottom edge of the panel tucking beneath the flange and resting on the l-track strapping (lets call it because it is essentially a flanged strapping), the top edge tucking underneath the flange of the above l-track. Then some vertical battens are installed and hand tightened, and voila! Ohhh if only its that easy, right.. dare to dream.. :? perhaps some velcro will be added in the middle of certain panels to give them some stick too, but I want to keep this simple. Point being is that by removing the battens, the panels can be removed so I can get back into the walls/wiring in the future. This is one of the design musts.
For finish I'm a huge fan of tung oil but I don't know if this is appropriate for a trailer interior, and that perhaps a polyurethane must be used. Since the plywood panels are installed in flanged areas they can expand and contract no problem and the flanges would hide it, thats a plus.
This is my first build and when I first joined the forum I was inspired by Roly's woody and his suggestion to go with 1/8" plywood to get the light weight I desire. Just wondering if anyone sees an issue? Or a better solution? Btw the sealing and vapor barrier will be taken care of by the taped up insulation layer which has as a layer of alumized film.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Re: Help Skinning Interior with 1/8" Hardboard or Similar

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:35 am

After doing 3 builds I just recommend using the deco conduit that mounts on wall to run wiring. Looks decent and always have access and much easier to wire up.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Re: Help Skinning Interior with 1/8" Hardboard or Similar

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:40 am

I would stay away from hardboard. Even when finished it has terrible expansion and contraction with humidity. I used it for a work bench top glued and screwed to a frame. It literally dissembled itself when the hardboard skins expanded and contracted over the course of a year (unheated garage.) Better to use something like Luan plywood or better yet, plywood rated for use as underlayment. You'll spend a little more today but be happier with the result for years to come.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets