Hurricane Hinge Alternative?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Hurricane Hinge Alternative?

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Because a piano hinge is a continuous hinge so much easier to have a reliable rain channel.

Hurricane hinge isnt weather proof. It doesnt allow water to run down the hatch and in behind it, getting the inside of the galley wet it door is open.

Piano hinge with rubber is a cheap way of accomplishing something similar. Only real difference is the rubber over the hinge to keep the water out wont last as long as a hurricane hinge.

This is for hinges on the top of the galley hatches for those that open vertically. Standard door hinges will provide 0 protection, no easier or harder to align and really best used for horizontal opening doors.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby jondbar628 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:50 pm

I'm afraid my point wasn't clear - which is if a strip of rubber over a piano hinge works as a seal, why wouldn't that same continuous strip of rubber the width of the hatch work as well over a pair of door hinges used to raise the hatch? I don't have any concerns about the ability of the hinges to handle the load. Exterior door hinges are designed to handle loads & forces far in excess of that of a normal TD hatch. The anchor point may fail, but the hinge won't. The only advantage I can presently see for a piano hinge is that the anchor screws are spread over the width of the hatch, whereas door hinge anchor screws are concentrated at the hinge area. (My foamie hatch should come in at under 40 lbs complete).....I have door hinges and EPDM rubber on hand - I'd have to buy a heavy-duty piano hinge. IF door hinges are a mistake, then I'll buy the piano hinge. If not, I'll use what I have. I'm building as practical and frugally as I can...........jd
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby ssuuki19 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:36 pm

jondbar628 wrote:I'm trying to understand something here......If not going with a Hurricane Hinge (supposedly weatherproof, in and of itself), why the fixation on a piano hinge? I'm not criticizing, I just don't understand the rational. If you have to provide a layer of sealing material ( bicycle tube, a strip of rubber roofing,canvas covered fire hose, etc), why not use standard stainless (or even brass) door hinges? The sealing process is the same, and the mounting and alignment should be much easier. I'm getting ready to do my hatch by that method, and I wonder if I'm missing something here.........JD

In my case, I can't use the hurricaine, or better than hurricaine hinge because on my build there is a 30 degree angle at the hinge, otherwise I'd use it. Also the sealing material for piano hinge doesn't have to be rubber - in my case it will be an aluminum shingle over the hinge that flexes when the door is raised. But I get what you are saying.. I would say the covered piano hinge is perhaps the second best approach. To those who can I'd say use the hurricaine hinge if you can, its clearly a better design. But both are worthy. From my research standard door hinges would work too, but now theres all the transitions from hinge to no hinge for sealing, and piano hinge stronger in cross-winds I'd rekon.

Edit: I missed your last post when I wrote this.. having read it to me spreading the load of the door across the beam would be important for repetetive strain, to me that was the wind trying to shear the door off.. like a day of gusty wind can torque an open hatch a lot.

How does sealant get on my triceps and then my car seat?? more than once??
Aluminum is almost as fascinating as wood.
Link to my build thread: 4 1/2 x 9
ssuuki19
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:32 am

Good points. I was interested in the plastic because they are solid and may be less expensive. Also easy to get.

I think a piano hinge of equivalent strength to what you propose would be smaller front to back, and thus a less wide cover. Also a less lumpy covering.

I keep tossing the idea of a pivot at sides, with a part of hatch past pivot the seals under the roof when closed. Can't solve rain when opened without a gutter, and not going there.

I look forward to photos of your design.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:37 am

jondbar628 wrote:I'm trying to understand something here......If not going with a Hurricane Hinge (supposedly weatherproof, in and of itself), why the fixation on a piano hinge? I'm not criticizing, I just don't understand the rational. If you have to provide a layer of sealing material ( bicycle tube, a strip of rubber roofing,canvas covered fire hose, etc), why not use standard stainless (or even brass) door hinges? The sealing process is the same, and the mounting and alignment should be much easier. I'm getting ready to do my hatch by that method, and I wonder if I'm missing something here.........JD

Continuous piano hinge is stronger than just two door hinges and is actually easier to align because it is impossible to install at an incorrect angle (two or 3 door hinges could potentially be slightly out of line). The continuous hinge spreads forces out over the entire width of the trailer, rather than a couple pressure points. It also makes installing a seal easier because you have a continuous surface to "clamp" the seal against.

I originally had a hurricane hinge, but the forces of my gas struts (120lbs each) were starting to "open" the aluminum hinge and I was getting a lot of slop. The s.s. piano hinge solved my problems. I used "discharge hose" from Lowe's as my rubber cover, and then added offset aluminum trim on each leg of the piano hinge to hold the rubber in place.

Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:24 pm

Nice detail absolutsnwbrdr! Thanks
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby rkanz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm

I used the plastic hinge from Vintage Technologies. I drilled holes 4" apart in 3/4" wide aluminum to secure the hinge.Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rkanz
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:06 pm

I was wondering if one could epoxy a ployolefin hinge to plywood or fibreglass.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:17 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I was wondering if one could epoxy a ployolefin hinge to plywood or fibreglass.

I don't think it would adhere. My hinge didn't want to lay flat. I had to screw it down about every two inches to get it close to being flat. Even if you found an adhesive that would stick, I think you'd still have to screw it down.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tigris99 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Dont need a "heavy duty" piano hinge. I got a simple piano hinge from the hardware store. My hatch is wood framed, luan skin, foam inserts, maybe weighs 40 lbs complete and a regular piano hinge is plenty

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby jondbar628 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Tigris......Is your piano hinge stainless, brass, plated, or raw? Even with a rubber "cap", I'm concerned about corrosion, since my Tear is going to live outside year-round.......I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't heard from any who HAVE used door hinges for the hatch on their tear - I KNOW it's been done, I've seen the pics here.........I was originally taken with the plastic hinges, but the feedback seems to be bipolar - ("They're great! or "They're lousy"!)..
BTW....Nice work Rkanz & Abolutsnwbrdr on those respective hinges!
jondbar628
Teardrop Master

Postby CalJanKoz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:49 am

absolutsnwbrdr wrote:

Continuous piano hinge is stronger than just two door hinges and is actually easier to align because it is impossible to install at an incorrect angle (two or 3 door hinges could potentially be slightly out of line). The continuous hinge spreads forces out over the entire width of the trailer, rather than a couple pressure points. It also makes installing a seal easier because you have a continuous surface to "clamp" the seal against.

I originally had a hurricane hinge, but the forces of my gas struts (120lbs each) were starting to "open" the aluminum hinge and I was getting a lot of slop. The s.s. piano hinge solved my problems. I used "discharge hose" from Lowe's as my rubber cover, and then added offset aluminum trim on each leg of the piano hinge to hold the rubber in place.

Thanks absolutsnwbrdr that's a great visual and probably what we're going to end up doing!
CalJanKoz
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DWT77 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:38 pm

I searched the forum and didn't find much info for the Centaflex Hinge. Does anyone have experience with it?

https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/shop/ ... mm-length/
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Holy crap shipping cost. I just threw it in the cart to see how much it would be.

Subtotal US$95.57
Shipping International Shipping: US$137.38
Total US$232.95

Here is one on ebay as well. $68 and free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centaflex-hinge ... fz&vxp=mtr
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 pm

jondbar628 wrote:Tigris......Is your piano hinge stainless, brass, plated, or raw? Even with a rubber "cap", I'm concerned about corrosion, since my Tear is going to live outside year-round.......I'm somewhat disappointed we haven't heard from any who HAVE used door hinges for the hatch on their tear - I KNOW it's been done, I've seen the pics here.........I was originally taken with the plastic hinges, but the feedback seems to be bipolar - ("They're great! or "They're lousy"!)..
BTW....Nice work Rkanz & Abolutsnwbrdr on those respective hinges!
One is stainless one is raw. Raw one i coated with metal primer thats also a rust inhibitor (will seal rust). The stainless one is exposed to weather, other one is covered.

Get brass or stainless and use lubricant on it. Problem solved. Im a cyclist so i have the most awesome lube to deal with those issues, Finish Line extreme condition wet bike lube. Since i ride year round (fat bike in the snow, nasty roads etc) i found it best above all else for protecting exposed steel anything.

So i put it on my piano hinges. Used it for automotive stuff too. Penetrates like wd40 (only slower) and protects/lubes better than anything ive ever seen

Tigris99
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques