Old Apache Falcon Popup into teardrop?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Old Apache Falcon Popup into teardrop?

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:41 am

I have an old Apache falcon trailer box/trailer frame that we've been using as a utility trailer. We've since decided we don't we it enough to justify $50 a year in registration plus regular tires.

Which brings me to my point...id love to build a teardrop with it. :D

Or a tiny trailer/stoopy.

The trailer is about 5x7. The trailer frame is unusual, but appears to be in good shape. The plywood is integral, and needs replaced after years of being open to the elements.

Thoughts? I've plenty of knowhow on building and construction, and am not afraid of a project.

I'll attempt to put pictures in...iPhone and I've always used phoyobucket in the past. :/
Last edited by JenniferandPups on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Re: Old Apache Falcon Popup into teardrop?

Postby JenniferandPups » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am

JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby les45 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Unless you have some sentimental attachment to that trailer, I would scrap it and buy a new HF or NT kit trailer to use as a base for a build.
les45
500 Club

Postby JenniferandPups » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

No particular attachment, just like reusing and repurposing things rather than buying new as I can. I'm sure I could sell it as is for $2-300 as it is titled (based on current sales), but I like the idea of reusing.

Plus, it's already titled. :D (I do NOT want to wade through the homemade trailer titling process again!!!)
And I can kind of sneak this by my dh's eyes if I'm not buying another trailer. 8)

But I'm not married to the idea. Just exploring it.
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby Nobody » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Many (most?) of the older (mid 60s) Apache trailer utilized an 'X' chassis that was fastened together by a square 'gusset' bolted to the 'X' chassis pieces where they crossed. The gusset was also bolted to the rear end of the tongue which extended forward of the trailer cabin to the coupler (usually 1 7/8"). A pair of longish (4' or so) automotive type leaf springs was bolted/welded to the 'X' chassis members to provide suspension & a relatively smooth ride.The 'X' members are formed of mild steel into a type of 'C' channel & are 12-14 gauge. They do not provide a great deal of strength & GVWR is limited to 400-1K lbs. A person wanting to build a teardrop on one of the Falcon chassis would be hard put to add enough steel to reinforce the chassis & still provide a decent weight capacity. Most of the Falcon chassis are limited to 400 lb capacity. I owned a 1965(?) Apache Eagle. It was almost complete except for the tent and mattresses, even to the folding aluminum cabinet inside the cabin, & the stabilizers on each corner. I sold it for a pretty good price to a gentleman who wanted to restore it to its former glory. He's probably still working on it. If I owned a titled/licensed older Apache with the box pretty well intact, I think I'd probably try to sell it to a collector and put the money toward an HF or NT trailer that comes with a MCOO for easier registration...

My 1965 Apache Eagle all unfolded, awaiting the canvas & mattresses -

Chassis showing the gusset & tongue bolted to same, leading to front of trailer -

Folding aluminum cabinet inside the cabin -

Tag from the Vesely Company, manufacturers of the Apache series camp trailers -
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby JenniferandPups » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:56 pm

That's the trailer! The box is in good shape, as is the frame; the lights loooo replaced. Now I'm wondering how hard to replace the real guts.... :) I just need a project. (Not that the scamp sitting next to it isn't it's own 13' of project...)
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby JenniferandPups » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:57 pm

That's the trailer! The box is in good shape, as is the frame; the lights loooo replaced. I even have the tag, how I knew it was a falcon. Now I'm wondering how hard to replace the real guts.... :) I just need a project. (Not that the scamp sitting next to it isn't it's own 13' of project...)
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Postby JenniferandPups » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Been playing with the idea in my head...grey goose style? Rear entry? The height is perfect for cooking on honestly. Would need to calculate weight and add some things to the front/tongue.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.08 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
JenniferandPups
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets