The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 pm

I have been out doing stuff.. It doesn't hurt any worse doing stuff.. than it does out working.

I did get the rest of the fascia stained.. More lawn mowed.. and the driveway fixed. It really could use more gravel.. but that seems to be hard to reliably get. I was able to use the box scraper.. then the rake to smooth it out pretty good though... better.. easier than I thought. I figured while I had the rake on, I would go and smooth out that nearby trail we put the new culvert in.

I am going to try and do the ride tonight... and will probably take it easy until then.

I was supposed to receive a call from the anesthetist yesterday... and I was thinking about hanging by the phone for that.. well they called today.. while I was in for lunch.. so that is all done.

I am quite surprised by the effort to prevent infection.. although of course will gladly do it... it's just more thorough.. than I have ever had to do. I have a special soap I am supposed to use tomorrow night.. sleep on clean sheets.. special soap again in the morning.. put on clean clothes.. No shaving...

Anyways.. I don't have to worry about the call now.. and can do stuff if I want tomorrow.

I am supposed to be in Bangor at 7:00 am.. and they are an hour or so away.. so up early Thursday. I was originally told my operation might not be until later in the day.. but I guess I would rather wait there.. and than wait here...
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 am

I just don't remember what special stuff I had to do before my surgery. But I do know that they said I could not have dental work done for 6 months without taking antibiotics.

Will be thinking about you tomorrow for sure. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks Kerry! I don't know if my prep.. is just something new in general... or something this hospital does..or if it if for this procedure??

Sort of puttering here.. went to do some errands... basically waiting.. it is tough waiting.. still a mix.. I can't wait to get "fixed".. to sort of not wanting it.

I know I need it..and I do seem to be getting worse. Last night we had our road ride.. and my neck was bothering me... and my hands and feet went numb.. I could really tell all that was going on.. but I didn't feel all that good.. and it was freaking me out a little.. and I just wanted to get back. So it is time... past time... and it will be here soon enough. :worship:
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:32 am

Hope today goes by fast for you and everything goes smooth!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks Kerry.. [we had already left] We just got home a few hours ago.

I was originally told my surgery would be later in the day.. but then told to be there at 7:00. I figured they wanted up prepped and ready.. way ahead of time. I later found out I was "scheduled" for 9:30... I was told they were running late.. I went into the OR at 10:15 The first prep was a little over whelming at times.. I had people coming and going.. 4 at a time working on me.. lots of questions.. and introductions. Apparently they did a lot more in the OR.. I am wondering if they screwed my head in place. I have several sores on my head. I had been told the surgery was supposed to be around an hour.. it was closer to two.

I was told the surgery went well, and there were no surprises.

At my first appointment with them.. they told me pain management would be a challenge... because of the opioid epidemic and recent changes in the law. I have had previous work done.. where opioids were prescribed... and I never bothered with them.. I just used extra strength tylenol, successfully. I must say that so far.. it has been rather brutal.

I got quite nauseated at times.. I am not sure if it was from the pain.. it did seem the worst when the pain was the worst.. or the anesthesia.. or a combo.

I did not eat much.. I could not pick silverware up to my mouth... and that made the pain worse... which made the nausea worse.

I was pretty tethered to the bed. I had oxygen.. an Iv.. and a pair of compression sleeves on my lower legs.. so peeing in bed.. which wasn't exactly easy. Sometime during the night.. I was given a reprieve from the IV... I did keep setting off an alarm on it. At one I was in a bit of pain.. past time for my meds... and getting worse and nauseous.. I called for my nurse.. and I had to vomit.. before she got there.. but has no where to go.. so I unhook and ran into the bathroom... I was on my knees in the bathroom when she came in... :o

I think it took time to find the "right" combo.. of drugs that worked the best. [Oh yeah.. they suspected one of the meds might have contributed to my nausea. Early morning.. I started to feel ok. I was still in a bit of pain.. but it was something I felt I could handle. For some reason.. I was thinking I was getting better already... :roll: which is maybe a little too short for any real change in that way to happen.. [in reality we had just gotten some drugs to work] for later.. I was BAD again.. and the ride home was brutal.

I must say my bed is more comfortable than theirs... :)

I
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:17 am

Glad that things went fairly well. Hopefully you meds with work not and not make you sick. I know the anesthesia from my operation helped make me a bit sick and want to eat anything for a couple days. My operation was scheduled for about 4 hours and turned into over 6.

Well, I have to work a half day or so today. Can't start early due to rain last night and it will just be too wet. Gonna try to start about 9 but that might be too early. :thinking:

Going to the range with Mark this afternoon sometime.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:43 am

The stomach is improving.. I had scrambled eggs toast and some fruit last night... Part way through a big bowl of super oatmeal...my stomach started feeling so so.. so to play it safe I stopped eating... and felt ok pretty quickly.

I have slept some.. in the hospital.. I don't think it was more than 5 to 10 minutes at a time.

I got some couple of hour blocks in last night.. and another nice nap this morning... that one confused me.. i did not know when I had fallen asleep.. and wondered if I had slept through the night.. I didn't know what day it was.... :?

I did shower.. and Laurie changed my bandage. I was told the incision would be about an inch.. it's about 4" Which I don't have a problem with... It explains the pain more...there are a lot of muscles that are affected. I can get tolerably comfortable on the couch..or in bed. Up and moving is another matter. It hurts like heck to brush my teeth... I can't pick up the toilet seat to pee... getting on and off the couch.. in and out of bed.. not so good.

Mentally I am ok... and enduring it. I am happy to have the surgery done...and moving forward. :)
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:54 pm

Sounds like you are moving forward. Lots of things you said remind me of when I came home from my surgery. Hopefully things will improve quickly for you. :thumbsup:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:27 am

I can sleep in a couple hour blocks.. this morning it hurts like a Bass Turd!! of course because of sleep.. I was without meds for a little bit. It's getting to me a little bit today.

I only have a few days left of meds also.. and there were no refills. :o I was supposed to make an appointment with my PCP.. to inform him of the surgery and stuff.. Laurie will call him Monday... for he should know of all of it now.. considering he sent me up there.. but we will see if he wants to see us.. and to talk about meds also.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:59 am

I guess I was lucky with my back that I did not have a lot of serious pain after the surgery. Did not really need meds much at all. Hope you can get that straightened out quickly and get some relieve.

It's a cool morning here - only 57 degrees at 530. Should be a real nice day today.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:51 pm

Yeah.... this one has been rough.... although things might have eased a little though the day. I was reading my discharge papers... [Laurie had read it before] some of it does not agree with what we were verbally told.. showering for example. It tells me not to.. the doctor told me to.. just to pat the wound dry and re-bandage after. I am supposed to be walking as much as I can... I can't tolerate much yet.. but I will make a concerted effort to work on that. The activity..and blood flow etc.. should help with recovery.. keeps me at least somewhat active.. and give me something else to do.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:05 am

I would say I am starting to improve... :banana: I have had a couple of times... when I fooled.. when the meds were working well... and I really wasn't all that much better yet.... but through the day yesterday... I wasn't screaming as much when I moved. :D

I did not wake to take every dose I was allowed during the night... and that can put you behind... but I have improved enough... that that wasn't horrible. I was in more pain than when I went to bed.. but still much better than I was a few days ago. So finally... [ not that 4 days is really that long considering all that they did]... I am seeing improvement.

Our weather sounds a little more unsettled this week.. which of course doesn't affect me all that much... but the time I had off before surgery.. seems to have been our best all summer... so I lucked out that way.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 am

Glad to hear you are seeing some improvement. Great news.

Rainy day here today and only in the 70s. I have to go pickup some parts for the zero-turn at work sometime today and also have to go to the grocery store.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:07 pm

I have no idea what I was trying to say in that last post? :? :NC :FNP

Later today I wasn't feeling all that great.. some is maybe just forgetting how bad I was before... so I am not as good as I was earlier. Some of this I don't know.. some.. because much of this isn't that linear.. and some.. as I get more active.. [as prescribed].. things might hurt more again.

I do have an appointment with my PCP Thursday. I will be able to talk to him about the med issue and my pain. I do then have a follow up with the surgeon a week from tomorrow.

Laurie and Angela have both seen the incision.. and they both say it looks good and healthy.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 am

Hey, I think a little confusion sometimes is normal for something like you are going through. And yeah, I would think that being more active would cause more discomfort at least to start with. Just hang in there and I am sure things will get better soon.

Rained most of the day yesterday and I went to get parts for the zero turn then to the grocery store and did not feel too good most of the afternoon and evening. So, just read a book and chilled out. Bad night of sleep, but at least it will be sunny, breezy and about 80 degrees today for work. :)
toypusher
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic