HF Heavy Duty vs Super Duty vs Ironton

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF Heavy Duty vs Super Duty vs Ironton

Postby Viking_Tear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello all,

I would like to start off with saying - if there is a similar thread, I had trouble finding it. I'd like to contribute by keeping this initial post updated with anything that gets added to help any future builders.

I am debating on which frame to go with. I intend to upgrade the axle, springs and wheels, which is probably pretty important to consider in this comparison.

HF Heavy Duty Frame
Measurements: 48x96 (4x8)
Capacity: 1195 lb
Tire Size: 4.8 x 12 in
Weight: 253 lb
Shipping Weight: 261.80 lb
Item SKU: 62648 or 62666 (difference is square vs round axle AFAIK)
Average Price: 300 (goes on sale @ 250)

HF Super Duty Frame
Measurements: 48x96 (4x8)
Capacity: 1720 lb
Tire Size: 5.3 x 12 in
Weight: 260 lb
Shipping Weight: 257.4 lb (I know this is less, I'm just taking what HF writes on their site)
Item SKU: 62647 or 62671 (difference is square vs round axle AFAIK)
Average Price: 400 (goes on sale @ 350)

Ironton Frame
Measurements: 60x96 (5x8)
Capacity: 1715 lb
Tire Size: 5.3 x 12 in
Weight: 273.9 lb
Shipping Weight: 273.9 lb
Item SKU: 37552
Average Price: 490 (could be sale price, current price is 490)

All three trailers are reportedly manufactured by the same [url=http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69032&p=1211863&hilit=harbor+freight#p1211863
]company[/url] in China. The Ironton is reportedly a thicker steel (ever so slightly).

I can't tell a difference between the Heavy Duty and the Super Duty besides the tires, spring and axle. Has anyone compared in person? Do you know if the super duty uses heavier duty steel?
If there is no difference, then I will be going with the Heavy Duty and replacing the springs/axle/wheels. Should bring my total up to around the same as the Ironton.

With that said -- what do people think about this considering I plan to go 60 inches on my structure's interior to fit a queen size. Will I regret not spending the couple hundred to have the frame support extend to the edge of my trailer?

TIA, and as mentioned, I will update the OP with pertinent information to help those in the future.
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF Heavy Duty vs Super Duty vs Ironton

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:43 pm

If you don't go to the 5' trailer, won't the wheel wells get in way of queen size mattress, or do you just raise deck and build taller?

(I went with Ironton - starting with stock axel and wheels and all but may change someday including at least 14" tires.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Viking_Tear » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:51 pm

I was thinking to either build over or very likely to buy a longer axle and extend the trailer width. There's another point, is the HF or Ironton axle any good? What's been your experience?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:38 pm

I didn't think that an axel could cantilever that far but possibly. If you have to modify the frame, the savings seem to erode the benefits - your time if not cost.

I don't have enough miles to judge if the Ironton axel is adequate. I think youll find folks here thstbgave many thousands of miles on them. I plan to run the standard axel and all and if we like teardrop traveling and the axel seems stressed, I'll change it. Considering load is probably half the rated load, I'm not expecting problems.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Viking_Tear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am

I think you're right, Bill. I'm going to look into building one from scratch with a welder I know, otherwise it's going to be the northern tool.
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby les45 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 pm

If you are going to 60" anyway then go to the Ironton that already has your dimensions. You'll spend more to modify a 48" trailer. I built my weekender on the NT 5X8 (now Ironton) and used the stock axle with upgraded 13" passenger car tires and rims.
les45
500 Club

Postby WizardOfOdds » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 pm

From my looks at the NT, it has single piece (8 foot side) side rails versus the HF's which all (at least the 2 I've bought) have 4 footers that join in the middle of the side (overlap with the angle iron that connects to the leaf springs). That makes moving the axle easier on the NT, but HF seems to have a better spare parts potential.
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Viking_Tear wrote:I think you're right, Bill. I'm going to look into building one from scratch with a welder I know, otherwise it's going to be the northern tool.

I occasionally day dream about a second one - not realistically expecting to actually "complete" and use first one till fall IF all goes well and speedily - and pretty sure I'd go the route of the ultrlight frame in the design resources here. I have a lot of faith in a basic ply and foam stressed skin panel as being more than strong enough to replace most of the steel framing I have in my Ironton. Maybe more like the frame in the "LIGHTWEIGHT NEW CUB" but without the perimeter steel.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Viking_Tear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks all, you've talked me out of causing more work for myself just to save a few pennies up front.

The Ironton is on the way.

Building won't commence for a month or more, but I have some tentative plans for it as a kayak trailer.
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elipeters » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:24 am

I have a 2008 HF folding trailer, the steel is so thin the tongue will bend under my weight. I use it as a light duty utility trailer. I bought in 2013 a HF super duty, was impressed by the better steel up front. I do still wish I went with the Northern Tool trailer for even thicker steel but also for the added width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eli Peters
elipeters
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Viking_Tear » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am

elipeters wrote:I have a 2008 HF folding trailer, the steel is so thin the tongue will bend under my weight. I use it as a light duty utility trailer. I bought in 2013 a HF super duty, was impressed by the better steel up front. I do still wish I went with the Northern Tool trailer for even thicker steel but also for the added width.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll take some caliper measurements of the steel on the northern tool soon and update here. If you would be willing to do the same, I'd love to update the opening post with the info

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Viking_Tear
Teardrop Inspector

Postby willrothfuss » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Did you build with the Ironton? How did that work out?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson
willrothfuss
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets