Generators? Best bang for your buck?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Generators? Best bang for your buck?

Postby DWT77 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:29 pm

I have done a little reading on different types of generators. I just thought I would see what experienced teardroppers have to say about generators.

What best suites your needs? 2000w-3000w? conventional vs inverter generator? 2 stroke vs 4 stroke? I know everyone has different power needs.

I have always been a fan of the Honda since I saw the police using it at a checkpoint for a football game and how quite it was.

Obviously there are a lot of different brands out there. Any thoughts/experience on these or ones you like?

Here are a few I found on a quick search.

DWT77
The 300 Club

Re: Generators? Best bang for your buck?

Postby Goatdog » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:08 pm

I've had that Champion since 2009. Never a glitch

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Goatdog
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:55 am

No experience but do you want to run it off gasoline or propane? I can see the advantages of propane, and not sure how much converting varies one to the other.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:40 am

I have a Honda 2000 which I used for the teardrop and now occasionally for my 16 ft vintage trailer. It sets the standard for being quiet. I have been to many dog shows and if there is no shore power the Honda is the generator used most often.
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:53 am

QueticoBill wrote:No experience but do you want to run it off gasoline or propane? I can see the advantages of propane, and not sure how much converting varies one to the other.

My Yamaha 2400i is converted to propane, love it. No smell from the exhaust. Although propane has less power than gas, it does have an adjustable mixture that makes it more efficient at higher altitudes. Gas engines do not have adjustable jets - EPA rules.

Mine came converted from a dealer so no warranty issues, actually it cost less shipped from NC to Ca, converted than the local dealer sold just the generator. They also sell conversion kits for DIY.
http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

Also read this article and make the bonding plug so your surge protector will work properly
http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground ... l-bonding/

Also, depending on how you lock it, this could be a deciding factor, I have one on the tongue for mine.
http://lowprolockdown.com/
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:14 am

QueticoBill wrote:No experience but do you want to run it off gasoline or propane? I can see the advantages of propane, and not sure how much converting varies one to the other.

It does make sense not having to carry around additional fuel. I had forgotten that was an option. Seems like I remember watching a youtube video a while back of someone converting their generator. Thanks for reminder. I will do some research
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:16 am

Bill n Robi wrote:

My Yamaha 2400i is converted to propane, love it. No smell from the exhaust. Although propane has less power than gas, it does have an adjustable mixture that makes it more efficient at higher altitudes. Gas engines do not have adjustable jets - EPA rules.

Mine came converted from a dealer so no warranty issues, actually it cost less shipped from NC to Ca, converted than the local dealer sold just the generator. They also sell conversion kits for DIY.
http://www.motorsnorkel.com/

Also read this article and make the bonding plug so your surge protector will work properly
http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground ... l-bonding/

Also, depending on how you lock it, this could be a deciding factor, I have one on the tongue for mine.
http://lowprolockdown.com/

Thanks for the article and info. I will be wanting to take my teardrop in the mountains so the elevation issue does come into play.
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:26 am

Other nice thing about not using gas - ethanol - from all the posts on several forums, you have to use additives to the gas when storing it, to the fuel tank to keep some issues (not sure why but everyone recommends it).

Propane is fun @ 7000 feet - one pull start, watching someone with gas - pull 10 times and swear - priceless
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:33 am

We have a generator, and have yet to use it. Solar has fulfilled all our needs.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 am

Do Google search for propane conversions, there are a couple of conversions that allow you to run both gas and propane and some that convert to propane only.... Costs seem to be anywhere between $100 to $250.... Was looking recently at conversions for my Generac 6500 to run my well and refrigerator and a couple of lights during power outages...

There also some large units that are "green" they come capable of both fuels but all I have seen are larger units up in the 7000 watt and larger...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:38 am

I recommend this generator: They're dead quiet (click on the image to hear what they sound like), don't use much fuel, and they don't wear out.

And they are compact...

And they are damn cheap. I think I've got about $100 into this setup.

I just couldn't resist!
Tony :FNP :beer:
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:57 am

Dale M. wrote:

Do Google search for propane conversions, there are a couple of conversions that allow you to run both gas and propane and some that convert to propane only.... Costs seem to be anywhere between $100 to $250.... Was looking recently at conversions for my Generac 6500 to run my well and refrigerator and a couple of lights during power outages...

There also some large units that are "green" they come capable of both fuels but all I have seen are larger units up in the 7000 watt and larger...

Dale

Mine is tri-fuel, should have mentioned that. You do need to break in the engine with gas, follow manufacture's instructions on that. Worst thing was trying to find 'break in oil" The local shop that sells generators did not have it, counter person tried to sell me a synthetic mix. It appears no one rebuilds engines in San Diego anymore. Finally found some about 45 miles away. It now is using full synthetic.

Also Calif requires you to have some gas in the tank so it seals the top of the carb. Apparently they are worried about propane build up in the gas tank and causing an explosion...??? I got to get away from these wackos.
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:28 pm

tony.latham wrote:I recommend this generator: They're dead quiet (click on the image to hear what they sound like), don't use much fuel, and they don't wear out.

And they are compact...

And they are damn cheap. I think I've got about $100 into this setup.

I just couldn't resist!
Tony :FNP :beer:

Tony I have been clicking on that picture all morning and haven't heard a thing. :lol: :hammer:
DWT77
The 300 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:16 pm

tony.latham wrote:I recommend this generator: They're dead quiet (click on the image to hear what they sound like), don't use much fuel, and they don't wear out.

They do wear out, might take 20 years and by then something much better SHOULD come along. Saw an article about pouting water through a nano carbon fiber mesh that separated into hydrogen and oxygen without any external power - the future!!!!

But when we camp in the desert - nice to use the AC to cool down the tear for the evening, when camping in a bowl of sequoias with 2 hours of sun per day, that is when there is no clouds or smoke from fires, solar ain't the best solution. I have an 80w and a 90w, yes I prefer solar too when it works for us.....
2015 T@G Max
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby DWT77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:11 pm

Looking around at generators I have seen a couple of comments saying that the WEN 56200i has the same 79cc engine as the Yamaha EF2000is.

The WEN runs around $475 and the Yamaha $989
DWT77
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion