My Super Raspberry Pi 3

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: My Super Raspberry Pi 3

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 06, 2017 12:53 pm

EZDog,

Did you build your tinkerboard yet?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat May 06, 2017 5:17 pm

friz wrote:
Sent from my Altair 8800 using Tapatalk

Uh huh! I'm sure.

My computing career started with an S-100 computer much like and Altair 8800. It had the very advanced Z-80 processor. Ran at 1 MHz as opposed to the 500 kHz of the Intel 8080.

Long time gone ;-)

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby EZDog » Sat May 06, 2017 5:56 pm

mikeschn wrote:EZDog,

Did you build your tinkerboard yet?

Mike...

Nope I am too busy getting flooded here in STL and panic moving my stuff to high ground!
I have warehouse space in Valley Park and it looks like we have been spared again but ut is still a lot to try to move stuff ahead of rising waters.

Thats me under the arrow pointImage

The Tinker sits in the dining room waiting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by EZDog on Sat May 06, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Ouch... get your stuff and get to higher ground! Sorry to hear about that. I won't pester you about the tinkerboard for a while...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby EZDog » Sat May 06, 2017 7:36 pm

The water came up more than 40' in a few days as we have had 11" of rain in the last 8 days.
Now it has dropped about 10' in the last 2 days and they let us back in to check on things Yesterday at 8 in the morning.
The Levee held and it is dry but the River is also not really dropping very fast at all and I will not be fooled to move stuff back this soon.

Many are though.
EZDog
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 pm

My mobile media server is pogoplug pro running Archlinuxarm . I tried to run Plex media server, but it choked. So I just set up a lighttp server and pointed it at the mp4s. I replaced the power supply with a 12v buck power supply, so it just plugs into a cigarette lighter.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Camp4Life » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:53 pm

This is cool stuff using a Pi3 for movies. I wonder how long it would last on a 12v battery with a tv screen compared to running a portable DVD player?
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Postby sakrebleu1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:30 am

Great thing you did with that Raspberry! I'd love to get one too, to learn some programming. I mean, all I need to do is probably install Linux and then just learn. It's extremely cheap for a computer, too!
sakrebleu1
Teardrop Builder

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:35 am

It has now been about 8 months with the Pi3, running all types of configurations. My SSD got fried in a lightning strike that took out my modem, 2 routers, 3 power supplies and 2 SSDs. And yep, everything I have is behind supposed "surge protectors"! The Pi wasn't hurt though, but the wired network adapter on my big computer 8 core rendering computer and the video card on my backup 6 core rendering computer got toasted. The strike literally melted Comcast's cable at the pole.

Anyway, back to the Pi3. I put in a 9-30v DC regulator to bring any DC input voltage down to 5.5v. Output can go up to 10a. Pi worked great with the SSD, but using Berryboot on an SD card to direct which OS to use. Puppy Linux doesn't work well, yet as the development is still in the "alpha" stage. Mate 16.04 works fine, but does lag due to the overhead. Lubuntu works well. Raspbian is good, but I don't like the OS. LibreElec runs well. I have had no problems using the built in wifi or a Panda PAUO6 dongle. Logitech wireless keyboard works great, as does any number of cheap Chinese mini keyboards.

I put heat sinks on the Pi when I first got it and it uses a small fan. I added in a 4 port powered hub. The regulator feeds the power side of the hub. The hub powers the Pi, SSD and fan. The Pi USB output feeds back into the hub and this in turn signals the SSD. I have an on/off switch to shut the Pi down when not using.

1080 streaming video is ok, but does have some lag issues. 720p displayed on a 65" works fine. 1080 from the SSD works fine.

Power requirements for the Pi and SSD at 12v input to regulator are about 1 amp - Pi and 1 amp SSD (both run at 5+v). Now to the converted TV, there are numerous control cards available to convert them to 12v use from a variety of sources on ebay. Unfortunately neither my Phillips TV or the monitor work with these cards. I can manually cut out the 120v side, but then I would need to use a buck-boost to get the backlight voltage up to 30v for them. Many (most?) laptop monitors can be easily converted, so I think my wife's laptop needs to have an "accident" and I'll replace it with another computer. Then I can use her screen for the 12v monitor side. Not sure what the power requirements would be for the monitor as of now, but I'll try to find out.

So that's it for now. The Pi3 works, works pretty darn good.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Off Topic