Cowboy Beans

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the TNTTT Cookbook number 3

Moderator: Mike B

Cowboy Beans

Postby pralfred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:56 am

This is easy to cook in a crock pot or dutch oven. I intentionally didn't include a list of spices when I wrote this, leaving that up to the personal tastes of the cook making it. Normally my recipes all have at least a small amount of salt added, but the bacon and residual salt from the ham hock will take care of your salt needs. I like to use different spices depending on what I'm serving these with, so BBQ-style spices if I'm serving with brisket, pulled pork, etc. You can also substitute some beer of your choice for part of the water to cook the beans for a more borracho-style flavor if you want.

Cowboy Beans

Ingredients:
2lbs Beans (Pinto are most common, but use what you like)
2lbs Ham Hock (1 decent sized ham hock usually works, and can be purchased at a butcher's shop usually)
2ea Med Onions, chopped (I use a medium dice)
4Tbsp Brown Sugar
2ea Chili Pepper, med dice (go as spicy as you like...or not)
1 ea 6oz Can Tomato Paste
1lb Bacon, diced (Different types of bacon offer good combinations with different foods and spices)

Instructions:
1. If using dry beans, soak overnight, then drain and rinse, place in dutch oven, and cover with water (or beef, pork, or veggie stock for more flavor).
2. If using canned beans, drain and rinse well, place in dutch oven and cover with liquid.
3. Add all other ingredients and simmer until the beans are tender.
4. Serve while hot, preferably with a side of cornbread!

Final thoughts:
If you want to take some extra steps for added flavor, you can grill the onion and peppers before chopping into bits. Alternatively, you could smoke them (convenient if you're already smoking a brisket or pork shoulder). I've also used burbon instead of beer for a more "old west" take on borracho beans.
"While there is tea, there is hope." --Sir Arthur Pinero
pralfred
Teardrop Builder

Re: Cowboy Beans

Postby pchast » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks. I'll try that. :D
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Cowboy Beans

Postby HMK » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Sounds great!
HMK