Why use plywood?

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: Why use plywood?

Postby Aguyfromohio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 am

As a follow up, we started using the West Marine epoxy. They have a few different hardeners available, we went with the 206 slow hardener. We added the 403 micro fiber filler.
So far we've glued up the floor skins. We are too wide and long for a single sheet of plywood, we glued 1/8 inch Baltic birch plywood strips across the seams of pieces of 1/4 inch plywood. All good so far. Easy to use, plenty of pot life and working time, and a good bond.
Aguyfromohio
Silver Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 am

I used plywood for my teardrop because it is strong. The walls are one sheet of plywood, each side. I love the idea of a foamie but if a tree branch comes down in a storm there isn't much protection from it coming through the roof of the camper. You can get exterior plywood that holds up pretty well. I store my woody in the garage. I don't think it would hold up very well if stored outside in the elements.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Further followup on the adhesive.

The West Marine epoxy was really great, but we gave it up and went to LocTite PL 3X Premium.
The epoxy took too long to mix in small pint batches to get the filler well incorporated, and the cost was more than we were willing to pay.
Once we got it mixed, it was fabulous - easy to spread, loads of working time with the slow hardener, made a great bond.
But after tax and shipping we were at about $200 a gallon for resin plus hardener plus filler, and after our second gallon we changed course.

Tubes of LocTite Pl Premium 3x (low foam polyurethane adhesive) are working well, and much cheaper.
We bought a cheap pneumatic caulking gun for $25, money well spent for dispensing that thick glue.
Working time is just long enough to glue up composite foam panels, and the bond seems plenty strong.
We can work faster with this adhesive, and we keep a few hundred bucks in our pocket.

Many here have recommended LocTite PL 3X Premium adhesive, and now we do too
Aguyfromohio
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dan242 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 pm

I chose plywood for several reasons, One was lack of availability of 2" foam panels here in TX, My trailer is small enough that saving weight is not a big deal, I like the look of wood, I used the PL 3x glue and thought it was fantastic, had some pieces that ere glued for a few months and tried to take them apart and wood gave away before the glue,
We wanted a old school look for our trailer as we go to RenFests a lot. Wood was easier to get that look, I am really happy with the way mine is turning out, (90% done...)
Dan242
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Where's the pics?

Mike...

hint: viewtopic.php?p=911290#p911290

Dan242 wrote:(90% done...)
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques