Electrical plan review requested

Anything electric, AC or DC

Electrical plan review requested

Postby Viper_Twig » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I'll be wiring everything together soon. Looking for feedback on my wiring diagram. Where should I add in the battery monitor? I plan on tying the batteries, PD4045, and charge controller to the junction posts inside the trailer. Any issue with the location of my battery switch? My idea is that isolates the PD4045 but allows the MPPT to continue maintenance charging while in storage. My two chassis ground points are the battery negative and the AC ground buss bar from the PD4045. Correct?

I've drawn this after reading dozens of posts and articles but there is a chance I have confused something, so feedback is appreciated. Image

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Electrical plan review requested

Postby H.A. » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 pm

Nhged
Last edited by H.A. on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:11 am

Thank you. I should have been more specific. It's just a simple inline multimeter display:

bayite DC 6.5-100V 0-100A LCD Display Digital Current Voltage Power Energy Meter Multimeter Ammeter Voltmeter with 100A Current Shunt https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PKYILS/re ... QzbK0SWTRR

Good point about fuse at the battery. This looks like it will work well:

Blue Sea Systems 5191 Fuse Block Terminal 30-300 AMP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019ZBTV4/re ... QzbACP9HQJ

How should I calculate fuse size there?

Thanks

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby MtnDon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Viper_Twig wrote:

The purpose of a fuse is to protect the wire against overheating, short circuit damage. So #1 would be to size the master fuse according to the battery cable and then size the fuses in the fuse block according to the size of the downstream wires. OR the master fuse could be smaller than what is called for wire protection, but at least as big as all the other circuit fuses combined. Neither would be wrong.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:59 pm

MtnDon wrote:
Viper_Twig wrote:

The purpose of a fuse is to protect the wire against overheating, short circuit damage. So #1 would be to size the master fuse according to the battery cable and then size the fuses in the fuse block according to the size of the downstream wires. OR the master fuse could be smaller than what is called for wire protection, but at least as big as all the other circuit fuses combined. Neither would be wrong.
Good explanation thanks. With 4awg for the batteries I'm thinking 150amp block fuse at the battery. Every other DC circuit will have an appropriate blade fuse at the PD4045 DC panel. I will add an inline fuse at the MPPT controller as well.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby H.A. » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 pm

I will add an inline fuse at the MPPT controller as well.

This inline fuse should be located at the point of connection to the battery, not at the MPPT controller.
If its located at MPPT, wire between batt & MPPT is protected at whatever capacity your main battery fuse uses.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Having a fuse or a breaker both on the MPPT controller input and the controller output can make life easier. Controllers pretty much all need to be first connected to the battery side... the controller then reads the system (battery) voltage. Next it is usual to connect the panels to the CC input. If you ever need to put the CC out of service it is simpler if there are fuses that can be pulled and reinserted. Breakers make it even easier.

Side note: IF there are three or more PV panels in parallel, each panel should have a fuse in the line from each panel to the combination point. That is to protect the panels and wires in case of a short. Normally two panels in parallel are okay without those fuses and panels in series are usually okay without that fuse. Three or more panels in parallel can make the total amps more than the MP4 wires or the panel circuit wires can handle.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm planning on tying the PV controller at the junction posts inside the trailer as depicted, which will be close to the location of the controller so I can add the fuses there. I guess the question is between panel and controller or controller and junction posts since that is point of connection to battery? I plan on wiring the two panels in series.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bc toys » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:37 am

are you going to put a inverter in or just run DC power I may be wrong but I don't think the fuse box you show is a inverter I believe it will charge the battery but not convert DC to AC if I'm wrong let me know I am starting my solar this week had it sense June but just been to busy to install it By the way you are doing great work on your trailer
bc toys
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Viper_Twig » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:25 pm

bc toys wrote:are you going to put a inverter in or just run DC power I may be wrong but I don't think the fuse box you show is a inverter I believe it will charge the battery but not convert DC to AC if I'm wrong let me know I am starting my solar this week had it sense June but just been to busy to install it By the way you are doing great work on your trailer
Thanks. You are not wrong. The PD4045 is not an inverter. It is only a converter and AC/DC distribution panel. I may add a small inverter for light duty AC appliances while I am off grid. I plan on Boondocking without a generator 90% of the time so I need to keep my consumption within my solar/battery capacity.

Viper_Twig
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Electrical Secrets