Door hinges.

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Door hinges.

Postby dancam » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:27 pm

So i am putting a door under an overhang on my trailer, outswing. What type of hinges work or dont work? Are regular door hinges ok? Piano hinge better/worse? Its 1.5in thick. Anyone tried non-mortise hinges?
Those were the only ideas i had so far, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Re: Door hinges.

Postby GPW » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:55 am

Dan, being that it’s under an overhang , and protected from the weather , it seems almost any hinge would work . Maybe a simple Piano hinge ? That’s what we used on our last two Foamie trailers . Make SURE to get the stainless steel hinge as others will corrode too quickly ... You been to the Ironmongers yet to check out the Gazillion hinges available ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby dancam » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 am

Thanks. Ill be sure to get stainless steel and a hinge with non removable pins. I have been to the hardware stores, too many choices, lol.
But i dont think the non-mortise hinges are a good idea.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:13 pm

• I used gate hinges to suspend my vertical hatch. I don't have an overhang, so I had to seal the opening between hatch and roof with a waterproof cover. The gate hinges I used were Stanley National (and/or knockoffs from Home Depot and Lowes; no difference in quality that I can see), and I used three to hang the hatch, and three on each of my doors. They support 48 lbs each, are permanently pinned, powder-coated black or stainless (only the Stanleys, I think), have nylon bushings (so they are self-lubricating and noiseless), show no wear after 5.5 years, and are available everywhere (if I ever need a replacement-unlikely).
  • gate hinge specs %26 seal used.PNG
    gate hinge specs %26 seal used.PNG (174.17 KiB) Viewed 639 times
    gate hinges, with gap seal shown, for unprotected openings
  • When I decided on these hinges, I originally bought them for the classic look (like Jeep door hinges), but realized these were even better than I thought, being rust-proof, noiseless and all. I figured on using two for each door, and three for the hatch, but decided on making it three everywhere, for symmetry. With no looseness or slop in their movement, my hatch (weighing about 55 lbs with attached hardware), and my doors (each weighing less than 12 lbs, complete) will never get off-center or sag, since the hinges are rated for much higher loads (48 lbs per hinge).
  • gate hinges on hatch and door 1.jpg
    gate hinges on hatch and door 1.jpg (139.67 KiB) Viewed 639 times
    under-loaded in both applications, the hinges will last forever??
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to General Discussion