enable 3rd party hosting - HOW?

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

enable 3rd party hosting - HOW?

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:33 am

I am seeing a lot more blank photo place holders, entitled "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting"

I have been all round my 'User Control Panel' and can't seen anything which looks like what I should tick.

I could do with a little guidance please..

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Re: enable 3rd party hosting - HOW?

Postby daveesl77 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:29 am

That message has nothing to do with you, the OP. It pertains to the person who uploaded photos to places like photobucket (I think they are one of the sites). They now charge to host photos, so those that put their pictures on that site, must now pay to have the photos displayed on another site, such as this one.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 am

Thanks Dave

So it's not just me that isn't seeing them.

So what is the point of posting a photo if no one can see it?
These site live and die on their ability to share, no?

Clive
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:05 pm

You got it. They figured people had so many hosted pics that they would cough up $300 a year to show them off. Many people don't even remember which site they posted links to their pictures...

It would be nice if people went back and edited their post and uploaded a new pic directly or used a new host site, I imagine someone with several thousand pics would be busy for a while.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby dancam » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:24 pm

UK-Corlett wrote:So what is the point of posting a photo if no one can see it?
These site live and die on their ability to share, no?

Clive

The site was free. Then they took peoples photos as ransom for what i was told by them was $400/yr. Im not paying $400/yr for people to see my photos and i dont have time to go back through and reload everything to imgur and edit every post :/

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby UK-Corlett » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:08 pm

I see, an unexpected consequence of an unregulated industry.

They are holding you to ransom and I can appreciate the problems that that would bring. I apologise for misunderstanding the plight of people being caught out by this. Photos are an important part of one's personal history and memories of that history can be based on the memory of the photo. In a real way a loss of a photo is the loss of memory and your past.

£300/yr shocking.

Clive.
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Holding you to ransom seems a little harsh when basically they offered something for free and then later changed the terms of a freebie. Please dont ask for regulation. I remember when the airlines were regulated and my flight today for under $100 would have been $500 to 1000, and no different. (Well, not so many passengers in spandex i suppose.)
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 pm

I switched to IMGUR.

Took me a way to figure out how to auto import them and downsize at the same time.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 am

UK-Corlett wrote:I see, an unexpected consequence of an unregulated industry.

They are holding you to ransom and I can appreciate the problems that that would bring. I apologise for misunderstanding the plight of people being caught out by this. Photos are an important part of one's personal history and memories of that history can be based on the memory of the photo. In a real way a loss of a photo is the loss of memory and your past.

£300/yr shocking.

Clive.

Actually everyone's pictures are there and THEY can access them, it is just the free LINKING to other web sites that costs.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby azgreg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:10 am

I switched to https://postimages.org/ .
azgreg
Donating Member

Postby mcubberley » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:25 pm

I just decided to self host a service. I installed an open source package on to my web hosting provider that had all the features I needed for forums and my blog. Added bonus is that it played really well with my mobile devices to go straight from phone to hosted. Poke around if you're bored and feel free to create an account. I don't make any money on it, just addresses my own needs.
Some day I will figure out something to put here. But for now....
mcubberley
Teardrop Master

Postby frosty » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:52 am

tony.latham wrote:I switched to IMGUR.

Took me a way to figure out how to auto import them and downsize at the same time.

Tony

Can you enlighten me as to how please. I need to get 600 or so pics from photobasted :shock:
frosty
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 am

frosty wrote:
tony.latham wrote:I switched to IMGUR.

Tony

Can you enlighten me as to how please. I need to get 600 or so pics from photobasted :shock:

That auto import was a poor choice of words. I download my selected Photobucket photos to my desktop. When Imgur is open, I set the Auto Resize to 680x480 and drag the pics into the box.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:55 am

IF you have Chrome or Firefox browser there is a work around to the Photobucket ransom (hot link) problem... There is an extension you can add to the aforementioned browsers that allow you to get past the blocking image and actually see the original image....

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aedg?hl=en

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 9981390797

The above extension do work for now, but it maybe only time before photobucket finds a way to disable it ...

As a side note, you should always keep "master copy" of images on personal hard drive so if any other photo hosting services get dopey and decide to follow photobuckets lead you can just kill your account and do not have to go through a time consuming and complicated process of recovering your images and redistributing them to another service and be aware that maybe in future your "FREE" cloud data storage may become a paid service and you will be forced to pay a monthly or yearly fee to access your data.... The Photobucket thing may be only tip of iceberg to where internet is going.... You can get 4 to 6 terabyte USB drive for very little investment today and these units are not much bigger than a cell phone.... Personally I don't trust the internet with my personal data... And Microsoft's "subscription" services for their "Office" programs, that means they can reach into you computer and turn off the Office software any time they want.....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Threads about the forum!