Tires not made in China

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tires not made in China

Postby Shadow Catcher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am

After a couple of folks here had catastrophic tire failures on grossly under loaded ST tires I switched to Micheline Harmony passenger car tires, each with the load capacity of the entire weight of the tear. Trailer tires are not as vigorously tested and standards are not as stringent, my bet they figure it will be less fatal when they blow. On FB one couple with a new trailer has had one blow out per day (total four) and I suggested weighing the trailer and making a complaint to NHTSA.
Today some one posted that Goodyear is now making a US made ST tire.
https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/media/news/goodyear_launches_american_manufactured_trailer_tire.html
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: Tires not made in China

Postby MtnDon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 am

:thumbsup:
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby woodywrkng » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 am

I have Carlisle trailer tires, bias ply, and am pretty sure they're made in the USA.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:01 pm

woodywrkng wrote:I have Carlisle trailer tires, bias ply, and am pretty sure they're made in the USA.
:thumbsup: They were , at least my 12-year-old bias plies are, but I don't know about their newer tires. If they are still made here, then I regard them as better than any of the Chinese ST tires, and as good or better than my previous favorite trailer tires, Denmans (no longer making ST tires), from 20 years ago. All my Chinese tires bought over the last 10 years have quality issues, tread separation, and just don't last. That's why I switched to LT tires for my squareback TTT (all-terrain General Grabber AT2). From what I've been reading on other forums, not just TnTTT and Expedition Portal, many people are putting LT (light truck) tires on trailers, primarily to get good tires with better quality than the Chinese ST tires. I still have my old Carlisles, one as a spare, now, and the other in reserve. They are good enough for that duty, even though they've been patched, plugged, and started to age-crack...they just don't build them that good anymore.
  • 2013 HHRv,"squareback/simple" TTT, semi-offroad? 4x8, 2000+ lbs travel weight
  • featuring: 3500 lb Dexter axle w/brakes & HD leaf spring system > riding on General Grabber 27x8.5-14LT tires, LED lighting inside, A/C & heat, AGM battery 12vdc, 110vac from extended run generator onboard or park power, Coleman dual-fuel stove & Northstar lantern
working on it
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets