the Wiley Window and a simple DIY "leak proof" door

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Re: the Wiley Window and a simple DIY "leak proof" door

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:22 am

I would suggest using GPW'S mix on the plywood before sticking it to the foam and again on every cut edge and drain hole.
I also need to figure a better screen attachment method, my nephew already punched a hole in one of them.
I figured a frame of coroplast glued with rtv on the inside to make the screen replaceable and act as a window seal when shut.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:10 pm

RTV may not stick to coroplast. But shoe goop will. I made my window to take two panels. The outside panel is cut out with a screen so the screen and window is removable and can be change if One want to say go for tinted or put a fan in the window. A lot of freedom with a Wiley window.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:10 pm

According to those nuts on the ecomodder forum, and what I recall from reading other places, silicone rtv is what the manufacturer recommends to stick coroplast to anything
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Polyurethane adhesive like sikaflex should stick it.
Would definatly be a stronger bond the regular silicone.
Translucent silicone has a much higher bond stregth than its coloured counterparts though and would probably be the next best thing
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Considering that the screen frame will have a window or window wedges pushing on it all the time. I think silicone will be fine, after all screens only really keep out bugs
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:36 pm

So you use a dry bead of silicone as the seal the window pushes against when the wedge is installed or is it just to hold the mesh to the screen frame?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Sandwich the nylon screen between the coroplast ring and the window hole.
Lay a bead of RTV around the window hole, put the screen in place, lay another bead on the screen following the path of the first one, lay the coroplast ring in place. Place the Plexiglas window pane on top, apply moderate weights along the edges (bricks ) to push the RTV beads flat.
All done with the door face down on a flat surface.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Tape/masking around the window hole shape on the screen will keep the screen clean.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Cool,so the screen becomes glued to the window frame itself.
Im going to have a go at wiley windows one of these days.
Perhaps build 2
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby futurecamper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Hello, everyone. I have read all of the wonderful information all of you have posted about Wiley windows. Thank you so much for doing so because I can't find too much about them anywhere else. :thumbsup:
I have no experience building anything, but I eventually plan on making a foamie (with help). I have been reading so much information from this site and trying to let it sink in.
I want to use Wiley windows but I have some questions.
From what I understand, the edge on the inside should be higher than the edge on the outside, so the plexiglass is sitting on a slightly slanted ledge, not a completely straight one.
How important is it to have the frame extend out into the trailer? Could the screen frame and plexiglass sit on a small lip and then use a folding frame latched up to keep them closed?
My understanding on the weep holes is not completely solid. Should the bottom of the hole be even with the window frame? Someone mentioned a groove cut into the frame to channel water out to the weep holes. How would that work? Would it be down the center or closer to the outside edge? Would I then make little grooves running to each weep hole from that long groove?
Last edited by futurecamper on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
futurecamper
Teardrop Inspector

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:52 am

We have 4 wiley windows in our camper. They have never leaked. Last year I left them open during hurricane Matthew, but the winds only got to about 40mph here. This weekend I'm leaving them open during hurricane Irma and this should be a true test of both the windows and the camper. Presently the eye is supposed to go either over or right near us. I'm doing this on purpose just to see how well it does.

You want the windows to extend inside the camper. The greater the angle, the more potential air they can provide. The plexi (or glass), should be higher than the outside height of the window opening. We built ours to where the bottom of the window (inside) is a completely sealed angle from back to front with a 1" back lip. Also I made a slight angle from each side end down to the bottom center of the window. This funnels any water to the lowest point. At the base of our windows, in the center, instead of a weep hole, I have a 3/8" relief gulley that continues the down and out angle from the interior window frame.

At tilt open, each provides about 3" by 16" opening at the top. At close they are fully sealed. A screen is hot glued to the inside of the opening. The plexi can be removed for full opening.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:05 pm

I've always wondered how I would seal the plywood where the window shape was cut out. If water soaks the cut out edge of the wood it would damage the door. I see some folks but the screen on the outside. I am sure that would help keep rain out. I guess if you are polying or painting the door you would also coat the inside edge of the cut area of the widow. Maybe there is a way to put metal trim on the inside of the window cut out? I love the wiley window idea but not sure how well they would work in the long term.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 am

As to sealing the opening, the cut-out was coated in epoxy resin then painted brown to blend in with the cedar sides. Works great. The "window" part of the wiley is totally covered in multiple coats of poly, but on the base it is first covered with epoxy. The base angles all go down and out to a central drain channel. So, the window part is sealed, then sealed to the inside wall with epoxy. The cut-out is sealed with epoxy. Any water that gets in, drains straight out.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:22 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave. I was wondering because I know it can't stay raw wood on the cut edge. What kind of epoxy did you use? I'm wondering if several coats of oil based paint would be enough to keep the water out.

Dave
doris s.
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:07 am

I was this and thought it would make building a Wiley window real easy. just hole saw a few holes and mount on the wall. https://www.displays2go.com/P-24532/Leg ... ack-Finish
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques