Any one watch the solar eclipse today

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Any one watch the solar eclipse today

Postby settinsails » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:17 pm

We went down to Charleston, SC for the eclipse. Stayed at Oak Plantation Campground near Johns Island. Highly recommend this place, BTW. Wandered over to Isle of Palms, SC for the event. They were anticipating a million people in the metro Charleston area, but the longest line of cars we saw were people trying to get into Krispy Kreme for their eclipse donuts. Due to an unplanned encounter with gravity, my wife was in a wheelchair (long story), and some condo commandos allowed us to roll her up to their private boardwalk to watch it. It was very overcast, and we were concerned that we werent going to see much, then about 5 mins before totality, a large hole opened in the clouds. The crowd on the beach (we were up along the dunes) erupted in yells, whisltes and cheers as the cone of totality enveloped us. The temp dropped about 5-10 degrees, got very dark, minus the giant lightning flashes from the storm to the north west and west. They had fire dancers at the radio station stage doing their thing. It truly was one of the most amazing things my wife and I have experienced. Many people became quite overcome with emotion, including my wife, for the pain and discomfort of getting there, and the upcoming pain and discomfort of going home was totally eclipsed by the eclipse :thumbsup:

We took our Rustic Trail Teardrops Grizzly Bear, and it was my wife's first overnight in it. Even with major neck and back issues, she slept like a baby. We stayed dry in the torrential downpours (inevitable in the south during the summer), unlike the tenters elsewhere on the property. I made sure before we left that I angled the awning down to sheet the water off. We met another teardropping couple, who ironically, live about 30 minutes away from us. The wife's brother was staying downtown at a hotel for $400.00 a night....yeah, that was $400 dollars...they told him their campsite was $40 a night. I think her brother will be looking into teardrops (maybe a Rustic Trail Teardrop) in the very near future

So far, in about a month, I've put 3500 camping miles on the trailer. Love it. Only wish I would have gotten one sooner.
Attachments
20170821_095750.jpg
20170821_095750.jpg (222.25 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
20170821_073501.jpg
20170821_073501.jpg (187.6 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
settinsails
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kramergwt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

Nice looking camper!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby settinsails » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks. I'd been looking at building for about a decade, and never had the time or shop space (too many other projects). I found Rustic Trail Teardrops online, and they are about an hour from me. The build quality is great, and the price cant really be beat. I intend on wearing the tires out, and not letting them dry rot to death from not moving :thumbsup:
settinsails
Teardrop Inspector

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Madras, OR was where we viewed the TSE. Check out the eclipse video on Outdoor Cast Iron Cooking if you'd like to see our encounter and campsite. It is under the Promotional Video playlist and is named "2017 Great American Eclipse" Hope you enjoy watching our experience Go to> http://www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby sakrebleu1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:30 am

Too bad the eclipse wasn't visible from here :( I had to watch the live stream...
sakrebleu1
Teardrop Builder

Postby capnTelescope » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:08 pm

This year's eclipse was all the better when shared with Wolfgang & Candy, Randy and Rob.

:P 2024 totality in my back yard! Limited number of sites, reserve yours early.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby friz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey Cap', put me down for one of those sites!
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby robfisher » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:47 pm

capnTelescope wrote:This year's eclipse was all the better when shared with Wolfgang & Candy, Randy and Rob.

:P 2024 totality in my back yard! Limited number of sites, reserve yours early.

What an amazing event to share with fellow teardroppers. And the difference between 99.9% and totality is night and day.
robfisher
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:54 pm

friz wrote:Hey Cap', put me down for one of those sites!

Sold! But you gotta bring that cute little CLC tear so we can get a good close look. :twisted:

robfisher wrote:What an amazing event to share with fellow teardroppers. And the difference between 99.9% and totality is night and day.

+1 :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby friz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

capnTelescope wrote:
friz wrote:Hey Cap', put me down for one of those sites!

Sold! But you gotta bring that cute little CLC tear so we can get a good close look. :twisted:

robfisher wrote:What an amazing event to share with fellow teardroppers. And the difference between 99.9% and totality is night and day.

+1
You bet, it goes everywhere with me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby jandmz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Kinda late weighing in on this one, but we did "the ultimate no-no". We pointed a 3 inch, 80 power telescope at the sun to view the eclipse. It is one that my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 11 or 12 years old.

It was manufactured by A C Gilbert, the maker of some of the most dangerous toys ever, including chemistry sets that had all the chemicals you needed to make low grade explosives, and a "nuclear research lab" that included a radioactive source. This particular telescope included a sun viewer attachment. It fits over the eyepiece and projects the sun's image an a screen. But, if you take the viewer off while the scope is pointed at the sun, anything that comes near the eyepiece will instantly burst into flame.

So, it was interesting and fun and dangerous. I am a trained safety professional, so don't try this at home.

jandmz
Teardrop Master

Postby jim_manley » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 am

jandmz wrote:Kinda late weighing in on this one, but we did "the ultimate no-no". We pointed a 3 inch, 80 power telescope at the sun to view the eclipse. It is one that my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 11 or 12 years old.

It was manufactured by A C Gilbert, the maker of some of the most dangerous toys ever, including chemistry sets that had all the chemicals you needed to make low grade explosives, and a "nuclear research lab" that included a radioactive source. This particular telescope included a sun viewer attachment. It fits over the eyepiece and projects the sun's image an a screen. But, if you take the viewer off while the scope is pointed at the sun, anything that comes near the eyepiece will instantly burst into flame.

So, it was interesting and fun and dangerous. I am a trained safety professional, so don't try this at home.

Yeah, that brings back fond memories of my own misspent "ute" (as My Cousin Vinny would say). I was a victim ... I mean intended customer (known as the "target demographic" in today's MarketingSpeak) of A.C. Gilbert via their infamous chemistry sets ... I still remember using Phenolphthalein when I needed to change "water" into "wine" ... I mean, where were the EPA and OSHA when I was growing up, let alone the Consumer Products Safety Commission??? As they say, though, "That which does not kill me makes me stronger" ... although that "wine" may explain why I never had any kids! :?

Then again, I grew up during the era when the monkey bars on playgrounds reached dizzying heights ... and were anchored in a full concrete slab with exposed carriage bolt threads ready to snag any skin foolishly placed in proximity, and the merry-go-rounds were mounted on their center bearing such that there was just enough room under the edges for feet, ankles, knees, and smaller-diameter entire legs to be caught underneath and dragged on concrete or gravel for what seemed like miles. I did survive and even thrive, becoming an engineer and a scientist after earning degrees up through a Master of Science, and working in Silicon Valley for many years.

Sooooo, I take it that you're one of those "safety professionals" with a nickname like Lefty, the One-eyed, Peg-legged Jack, who is a living (you call that "living"???), breathing (barely ... some might more accurately call it "wheezing") example of what not to do, and visits schools warning kids to learn to read Material Safety Data Sheets? :lol:
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jandmz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 pm

:lol: Well, I must admit that I never got one of those "colorful" nicknames, even though I crashed more times than "Crash" and did crazier things than "Crazy Mike". But, I eventually became an engineer doing standards compliance evaluations in the field of product safety. While most of it was Pretty mundane, components like wire, and connectors, I did get involved with the evaluation of a cow dissolver (yes, a machine to dissolve cows). I retired recently, but, yes, I am a trained safety professional. :thumbsup:
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to General Discussion