New 5x10 trailer bad axle placement...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: New 5x10 trailer bad axle placement...

Postby paintm4u » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 am

I build my own trailers and use this formula for axle placement.
Axle Placement Single/Tandem. Measure the total length of the box(A) and divide that dimension by 2 to find the centerline of the trailer box. For each foot of total box length(A) move the centerline of the axles(B) toward the back of the trailer 1 inch from the centerline of the trailer box.
paintm4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dan242 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 pm

paintm4u wrote:I build my own trailers and use this formula for axle placement.
Axle Placement Single/Tandem. Measure the total length of the box(A) and divide that dimension by 2 to find the centerline of the trailer box. For each foot of total box length(A) move the centerline of the axles(B) toward the back of the trailer 1 inch from the centerline of the trailer box.

Wow, I eyeballed my HF trailer and decided about 8" back was good, my trailer is 8' long, guess I got lucky
Dan242
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 am

Don't forget that the std. rule of thumb for utility/flat bed/cargo/larger camp trailers will be quite a bit different from a TD or tiny trailer depending on the layout.

The typical TD has most of the weight and heavier cargo items located in the galley, which is typically in the rear, so the balance point is typically further back than other trailers where cargo is typically spread more evenly, or even biased toward the front. Typically. :lol:

Also, side door placement for the "sit and spin" method of entry and requisite clearance for the fender location may also dictate, to a certain degree, where the axle goes. So what has worked for even an experienced trailer builder may not be ideal for a TD style camper.

The std. rule of thumb for TD's is more like 38 to 40 percent of the cabin length referenced from the rear of the cabin. Some vintage TD's even have the axle set much further back.

Using my 9.75 ft long cabin as an example, if I use paintm4u's method I get an axle location of 48.75 inches forward of the rear end {((9.75 ft x 12 in/ft)/2) + 9.75 in = 48.75 in}. Whereas using the 40 percent rule I get 46.8inches {9.75 ft x 0.40 x 12 in/ft = 46.8 in}. At 38 percent its more like 44.5 in.

Where you stow your battery, cooler, CI pots and skillet, camp chairs, side tables, ez-up, etc. will probably have the biggest effect on preferred axle location, but the fender and side door relationship will usually dictate how far forward the axle can physically be.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets