The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Things that don't fit anywhere else...

Re: The new campfire thread...ooooh purrrrty!!!!!!

Postby Fenlason » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm

What have we become? Our thread was quite a ways down the page.

I did finally get the lupines mowed.. I have gotten a couple of other areas [off lawn] mowed. We did prune more pine branches.. over there. I have a bunch of stumps to take out over there.. from previous thinning work.

I have continued to work on equipment. I did a bit of work on our Troy built tiller. I Washed it.. topped off the gear oil.. lubed it.. cleaned the air cleaner.. sharpened the tines.. among other work. I have taken the wooden mods to the tractors apart so I could paint them... everything except some wood at the front of the the cub cadet. Everything else is also put back together and installed. I have an upright chainsaw scabbard built to just the left of the "cockpit" On the back side of that.. a spot for loppers. I took off an old wooden box that I had made for above the dash.. and have mounted a metal closable tool box.

Today part of my work as been fixing grease fittings.. I was first greasing the tractor.. and I had 2 bad grease fittings.. One I knew about. I had to go pick up fittings.. I have one fitting that was broke off flush. I have drilled it out, with a left hand bit, and have tried an easy out.. and so far it's not budged... :cry:

I have sprayed it.. and Have heat it.. I have re-sprayed it, and am letting it sit.

I did get a couple of rides in.. Tuesday night, and then I went out early Wednesday morning... I did do more PT later in the day.. hmm I had also done another last Sunday??

Laurie has someone coming over for a hike tonight.. I might join in.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Postby toypusher » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am

What have we become? Our thread was quite a ways down the page

Yeah, with just two and one not posting much now!! :oops:

Been a bad week, starting with rain all day Tuesday. Since then, we have been playing catchup and my regular helper has been sick all week. Hard playing catch up with someone that does not know exactly what and how to do things. We are however back to the point that we should get caught up by the end of today.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:17 am

Sorry for the bad week.

We have had fairly good weather.. although yesterday was windy.. cloudy and cool. We had a cold front come through. I did get out for a bike ride early.. before that happened. It was in the lower 40's.. but sunny and calm. Later we have 40 mph winds and the temps never got out of the lower 50's.

I have not gotten that grease fitting out yet.. but I wanted to use the tractor.. I slapped some grease on the pin and put it back in for now.

I picked up lumber to put floor in part of my barn. We did start on that yesterday afternoon. We are supposed to have a decent day today.. but the remnants of Harvey is supposed to hit us Sunday.

I am hoping to get that floor done today.. but we will see.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am

We got enough of the floor in the barn done.. to get the equipment back in under cover.

Our rain ended up being later in the day Sunday.. of course we didn't learn about that until later... :roll:

We puttered a little bit on the barn.. then we headed down to see Laurie's niece and baby. I did an easier weight workout once home.

We are out puttering out there again today. Laurie will be hosting the Mountain bike ride here tonight.. I will probably head out for a little road ride while they are out.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby toypusher » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:35 am

Sounds like you are getting better. that's really good to hear. Saturday when I got up, my knee started bothering me a lot more than it has been lately. I has calmed down a bit, but still not good. Just hope it does not bother too much at work. I will have to try to take it a bit easier at work, but that is hard to do when your co-worker is slow and always seems to wear down before the end of the scheduled day. :roll:

Gonna be a long week I think. Rain forecast in one way or another for everyday this week through Friday. Hope it is not as bad as they say it will be.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 am

Yes, I am moving along nicely. I was just out trying to do some digging with a shovel.. and that is too much yet. It does get jarred some in doing that.. and I am supposed to be cautious of that. It is getting at a point I have to be more mentally cautious... so that I don't try and do something that's too much, or forget and do something out of "habit". One week from today.. I can start doing some other things. Mountain biking.. and trail work.

Well our forecast for the week sounds real wet also. It's not raining yet, but is supposed to be on the way. I am hoping to start on the next addition, this next weekend. I need to take the old staging down first. I had been working through various ideas on the roof for that addition. I had clearance issues, dealing with the right to left slope of the roof "behind" the addition. Our friend Bruce.. went through a few options... but ultimately didn't like them. He then says how about a hip roof. I had heard of them but was drawing a blank at first. Weirdly the house my Dad build while I was growing up.. has a hip roof. I think it will be the perfect solution. It will be a little more work. More work in the roof framing.. and in putting on the metal roof. I will also have to figure out how to make the cuts for the hip end.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 am

We had 3 of us for our ride Tuesday night. We had bad weather just west of us.. traveling Northeast. According the the radar.. we had something in line heading up our way. It was far enough out.. I couldn't tell when it would get to us.. or if it would also just skirt to our west.

We headed out.. and about 1/2 way out on our loop... we had some thunder and lightning. It got darker.. and we seemed to have lightning all around us.. although nothing particularly close. We had some light sprinkles.. but nothing serious. We passed the house of our 3rd rider.. but we all felt ok. [We would also be passing close by our house on the way back].. It got worse as we got closer to our cars.. we took 2 short cuts which totaled to about a mile. We did end up hitting rain.. The last couple of miles pretty heavy.. getting heavier as we got closer to "home". Once in our cars and heading back.. the sky really opened up.. the van wipers on high.. and still can't see all that good. :o

Yesterday was kind of rainy all day.. and I didn't do all that much.. some figuring ... blueprint drawing. I did do a bit of neck work. It is a little sore today from the exercises. It was all just the weight of my head against gravity.. so at this point to real danger of damage.

I was just out and replace the solenoid on my zero turn.. and working bent over.. working on it.. hurt some [combined with yesterdays exercises]. I worked on it, in its regular parking spot in the barn.. it was SO nice having that new wooden floor, to work off.

We are still rainy this morning. It is supposed to improve. I will probably head out for a bike ride later.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Our weather improved nicely Thursday afternoon.. I got a few little jobs done. After lunch I went out for a bike ride, getting in around 15 miles. I got home and Laurie said the hike was cancelled.. so Laurie asked about a bike ride. :roll: 8) So I went out for another 10.

I was sort of hoping for another ride today.. but I was pretty tired feeling. I have done a bit physically this week, and slept horribly last night.

I got some errands done, and puttered on a few things here. Laurie was home for the day at lunch time.. and we got that big wooden staging taken down. :D

So tomorrow we can start on that next barn addition. :twisted: We will putter in it, and not kill ourselves.. we will hopefully get something in for a ride.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby PaulC » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 am

Okay, what's going on here! Eleven days since the last post! That is unheard of for this thread. Maybe a little "down under" provocation is required :lol:

Cheers
Paul
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Fenlason » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

PaulC wrote:Okay, what's going on here! Eleven days since the last post! That is unheard of for this thread. Maybe a little "down under" provocation is required :lol:

Cheers
Paul

Hey Paul... :D
:lips: I hope you are well.

It might take a little more to kick start us this time. I think it's been over 2 weeks since Kerry has been here.... I don't know if we have lurkers or not... but it feels pretty weird.. writing alone... :roll:
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:39 pm

I continue to improve from my surgery. I have my second PT appointment Monday. We did the same exercises as the first, and I am to do the same ones at home as before. I am not sure why they specified two different people. :thinking:

I continue to putter around here. We have made good headway on the barn addition. It is framed in.. most of the siding is on, and the roof is on. We still have to flash and trim the roof, but the main is up there. Today we build and installed the sliding door. We have also been doing some trail work.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby PaulC » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Fenlason wrote:
PaulC wrote:Okay, what's going on here! Eleven days since the last post! That is unheard of for this thread. Maybe a little "down under" provocation is required :lol:

Cheers
Paul

It might take a little more to kick start us this time. I think it's been over 2 weeks since Kerry has been here.... I don't know if we have lurkers or not... but it feels pretty weird.. writing alone... :roll:

All good Glenn,

I guess all campfires go out eventually :(

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:54 am

PaulC wrote:
Fenlason wrote:

Cheers
Paul

All good Glenn,

I guess all campfires go out eventually :(

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Not out - down to embers maybe, but not out yet.

Hey Paul, nice to see ya!

Have not been feeling very social lately. Have not been on my computer in a while, just use my phone to check FB now and then.
Work has not been much fun the last couple weeks and yesterday was no exception. This week is very hot and miserable - especially for this time of year. Should be a cold front moving through tomorrow night and that should help. It was 91 yesterday and should only be 68 on Saturday.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Fenlason » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm

I was going to let Paul have the last post.. :R :R
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

Postby Fenlason » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:02 pm

We have been unusually warm also. setting records for days.. temps in the upper 80's and low 90's and very humid. Our average annual frost date is Sept. 15th.. It's been crazy :? and semi hard to deal with. We had had some cool weather.. and adjust to it.. then this. It's been hard to stay hydrated. We had our ride last night.. another tonight... and I am only working part of the day.. so as not to over do it.

I have been working on the barn addition.. and doing some trail work.

The barn is coming along nicely. I built the rack to hold all 8 snow tires.. and the floor jack.. and other auto stuff stored out there.

My neck is coming along pretty well... it's hurting less.. and I am overall getting stronger.
glenn

Kahlil Gibran

George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic