lights flashlight lanters..........light of choice.

Anything to do with camping, fundamentals, secrets, etc...

Re: lights flashlight lanters..........light of choice.

Postby bdosborn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:50 pm

I used to swear by Streamlight but with they just couldn't compete with the new 18500 stuff, especially in price so I switched to Ultrafire:

Streamlight @ $90 (this was a *good* price):

Ultrafire @ $15 on Amazon:

I've had my Ultrafire for 3 years or so and the batteries are still good.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:05 pm

There are three main lights I use when camping, all purchased around the same time a couple years ago. My solar, rechargeable flashlight. has been bright, useful & dependable, but my d.lite S20 solar, rechargeable lantern gets a lot more use. It fits perfectly in the cup holder of the van, charging via sunlight while we drive. If it's ever needed, it can also recharge via USB. It was well worth the approx. $20 I spent. However, my absolute favorite is my Little Sun. http://littlesun.com/product/little-sun-original/ or https://www.amazon.com/Little-Sun-Solar ... B008HF97D6 It's fantastic for me and gets more use than the other two put together. Love it!

FWIW, I also have a high powered, LED, rechargeable headlamp. It's great as a bike light, but simply too much for use around the campsite, even on it's lowest setting. I'm also very aware of how uncomfortable it is for anyone whose eyes I accidentally shine it on. BF does use a comparable headlamp, purchased for caving, and I assured him I would stomp that sucker flat the next time he blinded me with it. :x :lol:
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:23 pm

I just discovered this type of lantern. Looks promising.
Anyone have experience with them?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI ... PDKIKX0DER

I need to find replacements for my double burner Coleman. It just decided to spout a very tiny hole which I will post questions about in another thread.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby swoody126 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:49 pm

a candle lantern is the light of choice w/ a head lamp for reading if i'm not too tired

my favorite is an old brass one but the pierced tin lamp w/ an oil candle gives off a nice gentle glow too

most chores are usually done b4 full dark and it doesn't take a 2-mantle lantern to watch a nice camp fire

for emergency light during the night a mini-mag light does the trick

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby nunrleft » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:57 am

All the lighting connected to the trailer is LED, inside and out. I have solar powered rope lights from Harbor Freight that go under the awning. Not bright enough to read by, but bright enough to show you the awning posts are there. We typically just use the light from the campfire outside, but we do pack Coleman propane powered lanterns if we need them. For a flashlight I've got a Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP (rechargeable) that I use. I use that flashlight for work and I've got the charger mounted in my pickup. It's pretty much indestructible and the battery will last 6 hours with continuous use. I've had the flashlight for 6 years, it cost $125 back then, but I use it daily for work and have never had to do anything to it. No new battery or bulb...nothing.
nunrleft
Teardrop Master

Postby stephent » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:44 pm

All interior and exterior lighting on the teardrop is LED... the inside galley has the equivalent of 145 watts of incandescent but all LED too..But for camp site main lighting I used to use a 2 mantle Coleman propane...a real mantle buster.. :(
2 nites to a bottle of propane too...even turned way down. I switched to cheap old style kerosene lanterns. They use 1/2 cup of kero a nite turned about 1/2 way down. Just enuff light if you take them to the river, creek or lake bank fishing too. But are not all that bright to cast that bad of a shadow even.. Unless you buy one of the old style USA built lanterns ($$$) they cost under $10 each and the $6 chinese ones do a credible job even. I'm in the top 1/4th of a gallon of kerosene still on the 3rd outing of 2 days at least each trip.. Frugal area lighting and even the smell can be made to run bugs off...they will burn citronella oil.
stephent
Teardrop Builder

Postby Esteban » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:31 pm

I enjoy using inflatable solar powered LED Lucilights. I bought several Luci Outdoor 2.0 lights from Amazon.com. I keep one in my car for emergencies. They weigh just a few ounces and are very compact when deflated. Once charged by sunlight they provide many hour of illumination. There are three levels of light output plus a flasher. I saved a few bucks on each one by buying them from Amazon Warehouse Deals and they work well with no defects. They'll be very useful camping lights. Once you buy a Lucilight there is no additional/ongoing cost for batteries or fuel. You can recharge them, for free!, with a few hours of sunlight.

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Pinstriper » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:38 pm

Our trailer lights are all LED, inside and out.

Our camping lanterns are Ryobi One+ LED lanterns. These have a USB port and also function as a USB charger for other devices. One large battery will drive a lantern for 10+ hours. I have a 12v charger for the One+ batteries on board. We also use a Ryobi One+ impact driver to raise/lower the stab jacks. One small battery lasts the whole season.

Headlamps are also LED of course. This year I found a rechargable unit that you charge via USB. Very bright, has red solid and red blinking, white high, white low, white blinking. I am VERY happy with these.

We also have a few AAA LED freebies from Harbor Freight scattered around. You can never have too many of these, but I don't count on them for anything.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !
Commas. They save lives.
Pinstriper
Teardrop Master

Postby Raymac1963 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:39 pm

All of the above...

I have headlamps and small LED battery powered lights for backpacking. I have some Goal Zero lights and gear for regular camping that run off my 12 volt. But it still doesn't seem right without that whistle from an old school Coleman lantern around the campsite, so i have 1 propane and 1 white gas. Even with the LED lights, i still light up the Coleman off a propane tree by my stove.
Raymac1963
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Camping Secrets