My cookbook recipes

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the TNTTT Cookbook number 3

Moderator: Mike B

My cookbook recipes

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm moving my posts to here. In my travels I found a few other things that aren't real recipes but are good all the same.

Grilled liver sausage and cheese.
I discovered this in Michigan you butter your bread just like you would normally. You then put one slice of cheese down and put slices of liver sausage on top of the cheese then one more slice of cheese make like a regular grilled cheese. The grilling changes the taste of the liver sausage and you may never eat a regular grilled cheese again.

Grilled spam. Spam takes on a different flavor by grilling than it does right out of the package I've made spam and eggs and spam sandwiches it is a staple of the pipeliner. And since most pipeliners have a grill on their trucks it's a natural. Sprinkle just a little Tony's on it before you grill and wow.

Pipeliners steaks
Marinate speaks overnight in Worcestershire sauce add lots of black pepper and salt throw it on the grill.

Hot links and onion dogs
I would get a package of hot links and a sweet onion and some hotdog buns grill the hot licks and onion on the grill and make hotdogs out of it. Hey when you are a million miles from nowhere you will try some different stuff

Thanks Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Re: My cookbook recipes

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 pm

Cowboy dinners

My mom would make these all the time I don't know where it come from. She would make these up and we would put them on top of the engine of the car and they would cook as you went down the road.

Pat out a half pound of hamburger so it is about 3/4" thick and about 3 inches wide and salt and pepper it place it on a piece of heavy tin foil. Put a cup and a half of diced potatoes on top and some frozen peas. Add two tablespoons of butter on top wrap up in tin foil and put it on the manifold of your car and drive for two hours then eat.

Back in the day when I was but a pup I worked in a gas station. In those days most of the repair work on cars was done in gas stations. That is where I started to hone my craft as a mechanic. There was a older man that would bring his 52 Chevy pick up in for service and other work. And for the life of me I can't remember his name just been too many years. But he had made a oven about 12" long and 8" wide by 6" deep. It was bolted right to the exhaust manifold on that truck. And it smelled great when you opened the hood. It made it a real pain to do a tune up but sure was unique. I asked him about it and he said they were more common than I knew. In the 50s and 60s a lot of folks did it. Problem now days is trying to fit your little finger in anywhere under the hood of most cars and trucks. Let alone put a oven in there. But that's the price of progress. Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:55 pm

This one I discovered in South Georgia. This requires a smoker to make right.
Smoked chicken salad sandwiches.

Smoke a whole chicken or ten on hickory wood. Cool chicken debone and dice chicken up into small chunks
Cut up celery and a onion into small pieces. Mix chicken, celery, onion with mayo. Refrigerate carry with you on next camping trip. But make lots cuz when your fellow camps get a bit of this you will need plenty more.
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bill n Robi » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Billy C. wrote:This one I discovered in South Georgia. This requires a smoker to make right.
Smoked chicken salad sandwiches.

Smoke a whole chicken or ten on hickory wood. Cool chicken debone and dice chicken up into small chunks
Cut up celery and a onion into small pieces. Mix chicken, celery, onion with mayo. Refrigerate carry with you on next camping trip. But make lots cuz when your fellow camps get a bit of this you will need plenty more.

My smoker goes on the road with us, will add to 'try it list'.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm

I have been known to bring a smoker too it must be a affliction is all I can say. But on the smoked chicken I like to smoke it before I go thanks for the complement Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby working on it » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:32 pm

Billy C. wrote:I'm moving my posts to here. In my travels I found a few other things that aren't real recipes but are good all the same.

Grilled liver sausage and cheese.
I discovered this in Michigan you butter your bread just like you would normally. You then put one slice of cheese down and put slices of liver sausage on top of the cheese then one more slice of cheese make like a regular grilled cheese. The grilling changes the taste of the liver sausage and you may never eat a regular grilled cheese again.

Grilled spam. Spam takes on a different flavor by grilling than it does right out of the package I've made spam and eggs and spam sandwiches it is a staple of the pipeliner. And since most pipeliners have a grill on their trucks it's a natural. Sprinkle just a little Tony's on it before you grill and wow.

Pipeliners steaks
Marinate speaks overnight in Worcestershire sauce add lots of black pepper and salt throw it on the grill.

Hot links and onion dogs
I would get a package of hot links and a sweet onion and some hotdog buns grill the hot licks and onion on the grill and make hotdogs out of it. Hey when you are a million miles from nowhere you will try some different stuff

Thanks Billy
  • I might be a "pipeliner" at heart, at least where eating is concerned.
  • Grilled liver sausage and cheese: my mother used to get this at the old A&P back in the 50's and early 60's, labeled as Braunschweiger. I loved it, but my younger brothers didn't, so more for me. She would make sandwiches of it, cold, with mayo and brown mustard on Wonder bread (her other standards for my lunch were potted meat, deviled ham, and plain bologna with mayo and brown mustard, always on Wonder, and later Mrs. Bairds white bread). No cheese, no grilling. I've got to try it your way!
  • Grilled Spam: I'm ahead of you here...it's been a favorite of mine since the early 50's, when my Grandad (ex-Seabee from WW2) turned me on to this great stuff. I've carried it to all my camps from Boy Scouts to now, and keep plenty in my portable pantry, and go-bags. I love it grilled, with eggs, especially, but I also love it straight from the can...I'm hooked for life.
  • Pipeliner's steaks: Worcestershire marinade is great, but I've been using Worcestershire, vinegar, Dijon mustard, sea salt, and a pinch of brown sugar as a marinade when we grill a ribeye. I build a hot fire on my 22" Weber, burn the outside of the steak for a minute, flip it over, and done in two minutes. rare-to medium rare for me, and medium rare for the wife. A good steak doesn't need a marinade, but I just like a little extra flavor.
  • Hot links and onion dogs: I have a fondness for the milder Earl Campbell hot links (made in Texas) because I know they don't contain MSG (I have an allergy to it), but on occasion, I'll chance the plain ol' red hot links, of course with brown mustard, and onion, sweet or not. Regular hot dogs only taste right if they're semi-burnt (like over a campfire), but hot links don't require that. Keep your food hints coming!
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:14 pm

One more quick one for the night. Daniels dip.
When we did a overhaul in Houston you would have a bunch of mechanics and various support personnel. So to keep things going we would cook on site for lunch as opposed to driving to a restaurant to eat lunch. One of the parts runners would make lunch a lot. Daniel would make a dip that you would use with tortilla chips.

One 8oz daisy sour cream
1 package dry ranch dressing mix
5 or 6 large jalapeño peppers stems removed

Put all ingredients in a blender blend until smooth chill in fridge for at least a hour. Dip your chip in this simple but great tasting dip. Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for your kind words working on it. You just maybe a pipeliner lol.

This next one is inspired by Arizona. I spent a lot of time working in Az. And fell in love with thier cuisine, but I also learned that some of the Mexican foods in Arizona are based on regions of Mexico. As is most areas of the US. This if what I was told is true comes from the Sonoran dessert region of north central Mexico. If I'm wrong it is my mistake. I first run into this in Prescott AZ. But have Seen it in the Phoenix area. This is a spicy dish but you could cool it off very easy. My granddaughter who lives in Phoenix claims this as her favorite dish.

Green chili burros enchilada style.
I was never able to get a recipe for this so I recreated it the best that I can
2 to 3 lb. Boston butt or any other pork roast.
12 to 14 mild green chilies sliced into long strips. You can also use caned green chilies
4 to 5 jalapeños diced very fine.
A large can of green enchilada sauce.
1cup chicken broth
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
Large flour tortillas
Shredded cabbage about one package

Start by cutting the pork roast into about 1" cubes put them in a large pot or Dutch oven and on high heat start browning meat. When it starts to brown good then add the jalapeños and green chilies and the chicken stock. Reduce heat and simmer for at least a hour. Your looking for the green chilies to soften and the pork to start breaking down. Set aside to cool
Spoon about a 1 1/2" wide path down the center of a tortilla wrap the tortilla up and place in a cake pan. Fill the pan with filled tortillas then pour the enchilada sauce on top of the burritos cove with cheese and then put in 350 deg. Oven until the cheese just starts to brown. When I make these while camping I put them in my grill and close the lid
Remove from oven and plate top with shredded cabbage and I put slices of black olives on too.

If you don't want the burros to be really hot then just cut down on the jalapeño enjoy Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:12 pm

I truly love Cajun food I really do. And there is so many dishes I like it would take a while to do all of them I love. So what I like to do is try something new or done a different way than I'm used to, and then try to make my version of it. And this is one of those dishes. I've had this in many restaurants and it's been real good every time. This is my version of shrimps brochettes

For this start with the largest shrimps you can find. And use uncooked shrimps because pre cooked shrimps won't absorb flavor, and yes you can use frozen shrimp as long as they are uncooked.

You will need a pound of jumbo or large shrimps
A pack of string cheese
A jalapeño pepper cut in long strips
Bacon strips and toothpicks
Some Tony Chacheres seasoning

Clean, deveined, shell removed shrimps carefully on the bottom of the tail cut lengthwise but not all the way through. Place shrimps between two sheets of heavy clear plastic wrap and pound them out flat gentlly.

Place a jalapeño slice in a string cheese that has been split in two put that in the center of a shrimp. Roll it up and sprinkle some Tony's on all sides.

One thing that I've found is that shrimps cook way faster than bacon, so what I do is partly precook you bacon you want it to be starting to turn color but definitely not hard. Dry the bacon then wrap it around your shrimp rolls and secure with the toothpicks. Cook on the grill for about 6 to 7 mins just until the shrimps is cooked good. Have fun with this one Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mike B » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks for posting all the recipes, Billy. They will be in the next edition of the cookbook, which will come out next year.
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:25 pm

:dancing :dancing :banana: :dancing :dancing Merci, gracias, danke, and thanks....for your compilation, Mike, and your recipes, Billy.
Happy Dance to you on this forum! And please feel free to include any from our OCIC channel that you'd like to use.
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
:lips:
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Billy C. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Mike B thanks for your reply, I didn't post them so they would automatically be put in the recipe book. I just have a bunch of recipes that I posted and have more if folks are interested. 37 years of working all over the world I've had the chance to taste and try to imitate some wonderful foods. And I like sharing my finds. Si if folks want to hear more let me know. I like to make things that are easy to make and would be camping acceptable to make while camping. And Joanie thanks for your kind words. Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:45 pm

This one should be large funs. Many years ago I was down in old Mexico near the town of Rosario south of Ensenada. We went into this restaurant right on the cliff over looking the ocean. I have heard it's still there but haven't been back there since about 1985 or so. Anyway the had a speciality that I call Mexican lobster. I watched the owner make it and the simplicity of it is mind boggling. Ever since eating that it has became my preferred way of having lobster. I have also done sea scallops this way with great results. I know that this isn't really camp food but ya never know. And I firmly believe that just cuz you are camping it doesn't mean the food has to be plain or taste boring.

Use lobster tails for this I split the tails by cutting on both sides of the bottom and removing the center section of the shell I then run a skewer through the length of the tail to keep it from curling up when cooking. I use metal skewers for this then pull them out after cooking. All you use it mesquite coals that have burned down good cuz you don't want a really hot grill. Just throw them on the grill and the whole time it's grilling you brush a mix of real butter and garlic on the lobster. When done you put a tiny bit of chopped cilantro on top. Cook times on this vary a lot as to the temp of the grill and the size of the lobster tails. I usually serve this with refried beans and corn tortillas. Enjoy this Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm

I love Italian food but it's tough to do it sometimes when your camping. I used to try to cook pizza on the grill. Very hard to do without burning the bottom. That is until I got a camp chef pizza add on for my grill. Prior to that I didn't even try to do pizza, I did calzones instead. The recipe I used follows

Camp calzone
1 can refrigerated pizza dough
Small package of pepperoni
Small package of sliced ham
A package of Italian sausage pre brown in pan and crumble up
A small inion diced up
About half of a green pepper diced up
A small package of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of oregano
2 tablespoons of butter
Heavy tin foil
Roll out the pizza dough and gentlly stretch it out till it's about 12" by 15" then place on a sheet of heavy tin foil.
I then sprinkle som of the garlic powder and oregano on one half then on that half I start putting some of the ham and pepperoni in layers then add a layer of Italian sausage on top of that. Then I put some green peppers and onions on top of that. The last is the cheese I like lots of cheese. Then you pull the dough over and crimp it all along the edges. Place four slices in the top of the dough to vent it. I like to leave enough of the tin foil under it so I can roll the edges up to keep it from spilling over into the grill. I place the calzone on a med grill and close the top let it cook for at least 15 mins.
Take the remainder of the garlic powder and oregano and mix it in with the butter in a small pan. Then at the 15 min mark if the crust is starting to brown pour the butter mix on top of the calzone and leave it in for about 5 more mins. Dip in your favorite Marianna sauce and enjoy. Thanks again Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Postby Billy C. » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:34 pm

I haven't had much time to work on my trailer been too busy working. But I did get the frame done. I'm hoping things will slow down a little this winter so I can get it done. Then I can go to some of the gatherings and cook some of my food and try some food. So for the time being I work everyday about 10 to 12 hrs a day. So all I got time to do is share some recipes if anyone thinks that I have posted too many or would like me to quit I will. Please let me know. As a pipeliner for 40 years I would have to work in some real out of way places. So ya learn real fast to take plenty of food and a way to cook it. And since I love food that kind of explains why I have so many recipes. Thanks to those that replied to some of my posts Billy
Billy C.
Teardrop Builder

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #3