Build a standy or convert a cargo trailer

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Build a standy or convert a cargo trailer

Postby Dfryabq » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 am

Well I am looking for some input on deciding if I should build a standy or convert a cargo trailer. Now I love my teardrop that I built, but the wife is thinking as we are getting older to where she would prefer some type of standy. So I have been considering what to do, if I should build or convert. I am at this point leaning towards a conversion since I think it will save me some time and theoretically I can at least use it if needed while I'm converting since I would need to sell my teardrop to fund the new build. I would prefer the looks of something more traditional, but am not really hung up on that issue.

So any thoughts or suggestions on this issue? Regardless I will probably go the easy route on water and use a porta Any downside to a conversion I'm should consider?
Thanks in advance, Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build a standy or convert a cargo trailer

Postby les45 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:55 am

I made my standy from an old pop-up camper. Very basic inside with port-a-potty and light weight hard walls. See pics at bottom of this page from my journal:

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782&start=105
les45
500 Club

Postby aggie79 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:04 am

I've been wrestling with the same dilemma. I would love to build from scratch, but I don't have a work space tall enough to accommodate a standy. So, the cargo trailer conversion would allow me to build in my driveway and not have to worry about protecting the trailer from weather while under construction.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dfryabq » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Yeah Les45 I've have considered doing something along those lines with some hard sides ala an A frame, so that is a consideration.

Aggie79, I fortunately have a large enough garage with 7'10" of door clearance and a place on the side of the house to store my teardrop while I build a standy. I keep comping back to building, but I'm not decided yet for sure and since I live in the Phoenix area it's build during the winter or wait until the following year because it's not happening during the summer! So I may wait until next winter but who knows! It kind of depends if the wife is happy enough to go another year or not.

Gig'em

Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mr. Lahey » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Maybe consider a resto-mod of a vintage trailer. I'm not done with my tear and already planing my standie.

Going to have a look at this $500 moldy oldie this weekend.

I see it as a rolling parts collection. This piggy has THIRTEEN crank out vintage windows, plus loads of other salvageable parts. Everything from cabinet knobs, dinette table legs brackets, vintage light fixtures etc.

Plan is dismantle it and store the salvaged windows, doors, and what not flat stacked on the frame. I don't want this full size assembled pig in my back yard.

I have a canned ham design in mind. I would use the bulk of the windows. Build it all on the salvaged frame. That's a lot of parts for $500!!

01616_e1F3YLzhlb9_600x450.jpg
01616_e1F3YLzhlb9_600x450.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

00L0L_39tkH9Yktn8_600x450.jpg
00L0L_39tkH9Yktn8_600x450.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Dfryabq » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Yeah I have been looking at a retro rebuild also, but haven't found any that aren't to expensive or to big for my garage. I am still on the look out and may if I find a cheap one just use the frame as a base. Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 am

Dfry, there are advantages to each trailer design/conversion … but if you get a cargo trailer to convert , make sure it was constructed during the Hottest part of the summer … That way it won’t go wrinkly ("oil can") in the summer Sun ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby doris s. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Yep, we to have been pondering this question, build a standy or convert a cargo trailer. I have looked at some cargo trailers and have found the workmanship is not very good. I feel if I build a standy or a larger teardrop I can build it so that it lasts. If a tree comes down on one of those cargo trailers it could be a total loss. Spending money on something built well and that will last for many years makes more sense for us.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Vedette » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I don't want to sound like a nay sayer here. :thinking:
But it is not the trailer you are going to miss if you change to a stay or a cargo trailer, it will be the people!
Seriously!!! TD people are on an island of their own, and that is what has made your trailer camping experience so much fun! No matter how long you have been doing it! :roll:
But, that will all change if you sell your Teardrop.............Standie people are a whole different breed!
Even converted Teardropers change overnight once they get a "Standie"
THEY DON'T CAMP ANY MORE! :( They go inside as soon as it starts to get dark and don't come out until after breakfast.
They join the Motorhome people, that you never see in campgrounds, unless they have a skanky dog to walk! :? :?
Please Don't go there.............us friendly teardrop people will miss you! :wine:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dfryabq » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:14 am

Well I agree, really hate to sell the teardrop, but the boss has spoken so it’s up for sale and I picked up a 1970 Trotwood Lark II that doesn’t need to much work, teardrop is now posted in the for sale section, Dave
Dfryabq
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Fenlason » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:17 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with Brian... we have a cargo trailer build.. and are always outside.. except to sleep. We travel with a group.. one had a larger motorhome.. we have the cargo trailer.. another a pop up.. some with tents.. we all hang out.. outside.. when ever possible. Our campfires.. even attract many outsiders. We have fun.. and are the same people.. regardless of what we sleep in.
glenn

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
Kahlil Gibran

We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.
George Bernard Shaw
Fenlason
Tour de Post Yellow Jersey

Return to General Discussion