Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Been making some progress the past few days. A few photos below.

Started my headboard and galley cabinets today. Will post as more develops.

floor2.jpg
Got the floor framed and insulated
floor2.jpg (224.11 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

floor4.jpg
Upper floor skin is on
floor4.jpg (158.86 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

walls.jpg
Got the walls raised for the first time!
walls.jpg (143.5 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:10 am

Today is the last day of my vacation from work. I really enjoyed a week of working on the tear full time. Got a lot done. Also had some last minute design changes that worked out very well. It really helped to have the walls up and see what I was doing in full size.

Another thing that really helped was having the items I intend to use, and place them in their future locations. A test fit of my cooler showed I needed to move the galley bulkhead an inch forward. The test fit of my battery tray in the forward headboard area also needed another inch of space to work. So had to move the forward bulkhead as well. It all worked out fine. I'm just glad nothing was glued and screwed in place yet.

Today I am working on what we be my slide out A/C unit. I'm using some 100lb capacity drawer slides. I'm bench fitting everything first. Then will trial fit it into the tear. I am really threading a needle here with the way this needs to fit together. The hatch I have is just big enough to work.

So far what seems to work best is attaching the slides right to the A/C chassis. The slides will sit level. The A/C nit will be tipped slightly rearward in the slide brackets to provide correct angle for drainage. I am going to build a plywood collar near the front side of the unit. The collar will seal the gaps and will have weather strip applied to it. So when the unit is slid out it will compress the seal between the collar and tear drop wall.

I've posted some photo's. You can see the piece of 3/8" scrap plywood is all I have in vertical clearance. Sides are roomy enough. The hatch is on the A/C upside down for now. Just to keep the door from being in my way while I fit things. Hatch will open upwards on camper and rest on top of A/C when in use.

I have the walls back down and flat on the sawhorses again. I am now starting on my wall insulation, door jamb and door seal lip, cutting walls for outer hatch ribs, and interior birch paneling install. Going to try an inside out style build.

Look forward to your input if you have some.

[img]
ac.jpg
[/img]

[img]
ac3.jpg
[/img]

[img]
ac2.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
ac2.jpg
ac2.jpg (134.57 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
ac3.jpg
ac3.jpg (164.13 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
ac.jpg
ac.jpg (120.14 KiB) Viewed 4244 times
My teardrop camper build journal: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64721
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Re: Kenskill style build in Delavan, WI (Now Cub Modern)

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:55 pm

Hello All

It's been near a year since I have been able to work on my teardrop. The past 3 or 4 weekends I have made some nice progress. I have also scheduled a 9 day run off time off. Just like I did last year. Hope to use the entire 9 days to work on the tear.

I am trying to build from the inside out. My walls are 3/4 ply with 1" foam and 3mm yellow birch sandwiched together. I have both walls ready for interior stain and polyurethane.
I have one side door fit up with window. Also got it insulated and inner birch skin fit. I'm now working on the door for the other side

My goal for this time off is to have the inner side of walls stained/varnished. Doors hung with windows fit. I then will be ready to mount the walls to the trailer platform permanently. I want the walls up and vertical for storing the trailer this winter. I also will be able to begin working on my interior and galley cabinets once the walls are up for good.

Hopefully I can keep working on it until it gets too cold in the garage.

DSCF3641a.jpg
Fitting door and window
DSCF3641a.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 4157 times

DSCF3644a.jpg
Insulating wall and interior door frame installed
DSCF3644a.jpg (125.79 KiB) Viewed 4157 times

DSCF3647a.jpg
Insulating door
DSCF3647a.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Last edited by Mr. Lahey on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:58 pm

DSCF3649a.jpg
Almost ready for final sanding, stain, and varnish!
DSCF3649a.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:11 pm

looks good, your on about the same time frame i am. My goal last weekend was to glue in my interior walls . Which I did with the help of my wife, I had some forward lower cabinets made , just had to screw in place. I to wanted to be at this point so I could do more cabinet work during the cooler weather and our coming winter season. I'm in Muskego, Wi. Hope your up coming stretch of time will get you to your goal.151067
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:51 am

Breb,

Your trailer looks great!

I can't wait to get my interior ceiling in place like you have. That's a nice mile post to reach in the build.
It really gives you a feel for how the inside will look when completed.
Nice work.

Hope to see you out camping sometime here in the Badger state.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby breb » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 am

The ceiling was in awhile ago . Side wall perimeter edge helps support the ceiling . My construction was 1/2" exterior wall put in poisition and then i cored (skeletonized) with 3/4" poplar , 3/4" foam insulation and 1/4" interior walls which where finished in GF high performance water base 4 coats. 5x10 platform so interior walls were done in 1/4 sections. I started in 2015 but had to put off work due to deaths in family and related issues. Regained the momentum later in 2016. Working part time ( semi retired) has allowed me to put in time on TD and make good progress.150143
breb
Teardrop Master

Postby Mr. Lahey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Finished fitting both doors and interior door panels this Monday and Tuesday. Also started the supports for my front bulkhead headboard.

I have the bulkhead headboard panel cut to size, and am trying different cabinet and cubby hole layouts. I've got the doors and holes taped out with masking tape so I can get an idea. Ended up dragging the headboard in the house with me. Worked on it while I watched tv. Yes...I live alone!!

So this weekend I'm ready to final sand, stain and poly both interior walls. Looking forward to getting the walls vertical for the last time when the interior staining and finishing are done. I'm really pumped up.
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:44 pm

An exciting day for me. Got the interior stained. Also got the first cost of polyurethane on. I'm very happy with the color. I wanted that vintage looking birch glow to the interior wood. I think it's turning out great. Should be ready to sand and 2nd coat poly tomorrow.

I used one coat of Minwax brand natural stain. The coated with first poly coat.

DSCF3652a.jpg
First coat of stain on left half
DSCF3652a.jpg (65.07 KiB) Viewed 4004 times

DSCF3656a.jpg
The start of that golden birch glow
DSCF3656a.jpg (71.84 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby dirtsailor2003 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am

Looking good. I like the profile you have come up with.
dirtsailor2003
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks Dirt Sailor

I was glad I had cut a full size profile template. I had it screwed to the garage wall.
I started to dislike the original Kenskill style profile I first cut, as I looked at it daily.
Re cut the sample profile to a Modern Cub style, and liked it a lot. Glad I changed it.

Got my walls vertical and permanently attached to the floor platform.
Now I've started on building the front headboard/cabinet.
I'll have some progreess pictures soon to post here
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:53 pm

Started trial fitting galley hatch seal wall. Going to use a Fredericks style hatch seal and door seal method.
Also have my battery box built. Working on headboard interior wall and cabinets.

DSCF3660a.jpg
galley interior wall before final skin installed
DSCF3660a.jpg (106.48 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Attachments
DSCF3662a.jpg
battery box and headboard supports trial fit
DSCF3662a.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I made it! I worked tonight until 6pm. However now it's official. I have the next 9 days off work so I can have a teardrop staycation. I hope to be able to use the bulk of the time on the teardrop.

Going to get the main structure finished up now that the walls are vertical. I started with the lower half of my rear hatch seal lip. Photo below shows it clamped up and adhesive drying. I was happy to get this board in place. It showed me that the walls were in line with each other from front to rear. This board is also square to both walls. So the galley area is pretty square.

DSCF3669a.jpg
lower half of hatch seal clamped in place and drying
DSCF3669a.jpg (73.52 KiB) Viewed 3834 times

Next up is a good sized hardwood beam across the back, for the forward edge of hatch hinge to screw to. Also want to cut some heavy oak parts for hatch too.

I also have some finish boards to install, and work for the lower skirt. So first up is to complete the larger structural work to the body
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 pm

DSCF3668a.jpg
Doors are re hung to keep them safe and straight.
DSCF3668a.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

Postby Mr. Lahey » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Day 1 of the staycation has been productive. Cut 2 large beams from recycled oak to mount across the teardrop. Front will be the place to screw hatch hinge. Second large oak beam will form leading edge of hatch to screw back half of hinge to hatch. Cut more oak to form the lower hatch edge gasket seal surface. Got my top half of rear bulkhead cut and fit. Cut the front bulkhead headboard piece. Also cut the interior rear upper cabinets face to rough size. Have many of the pieces mocked in and clamped in place. Headed back out there after this post.

DSCF3672a.jpg
Front bulkhead, soon to be headboard cabinets
DSCF3672a.jpg (72.2 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

DSCF3673a.jpg
Upper rear cabinet face mocked in place
DSCF3673a.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

DSCF3677 a.jpg
Recycled oak beams, rear bulkhead soon to be galley cabinet face
DSCF3677 a.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
Mr. Lahey
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Build Journals