Tips for attending the Pikes Peak Hillclimb?

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

Tips for attending the Pikes Peak Hillclimb?

Postby gene so » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:39 am

Hello, I can remember reading about the Pikes Peak Hilclimb in the 1960's. I am building a small camper trailer and would like to attend this event. I note in scanning the official site that camping is $150.00 a night on site. Logic dictates that camping within an hours drive, then driving to the site and attending the event would make sense.

Is there anybody with experience who can fill me in on camping and attending this event in our TNTT community?

Thank you in advance,

GS
gene so
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Tips for attending the Pikes Peak Hillclimb?

Postby lee senn » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:33 pm

I used to live in Colorado Springs years ago so have no useful current info but would suggest you check into Woodland Park , a small community about 15 miles or so west of the road to Pikes Peak . It is a really great little Mountain town with lots of camping in the area . I am sure some campgrounds with facilities and if they are all booked there is a bunch of National forest surrounding the town. Lee and Norma
lee senn
Donating Member

Re: Tips for attending the Pikes Peak Hillclimb?

Postby jmanscotch » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 am

We've yet to attend, but we have a friend who's part of the Porsche race team and have played with the idea of camping and watching the race from on Pikes Peak. Some of the things we've learned are:

Camping sites (as well as on track viewing sites) are extremely limited. I can't remember for certain, but I believe camping sites can be reserved online, though both are given on a first come, first serve basis. Once you're up there, you have to stay there until they're done (for obvious reasons; it's one road and a race is happening).

If you don't camp up there, you're not guaranteed a spot. You have to show up around 3 AM race day and hope you get a ticket to view. So the best way, even though it will cost $150, is to camp up there. You can guarantee a spot before hand this way and you'll likely wake up at 4:30-5 AM to the sounds of cars practicing. Though camping at that altitude (somewhere between 9,000 and 12,000 feet) is a little rough if you're not used to it.

You'll want to be prepared for a long day too. Food, drinks, toilet needs (there's some porta potties, but if you're not close to one you'll want alternatives).

Although it's not first hand experiencing attending the race (yet) hopefully that's some helpful information for you.

Jake
jmanscotch
Teardrop Master

Return to North Central