No More Harbor Freight Trailers As Of 9/30/2017???

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

No More Harbor Freight Trailers As Of 9/30/2017???

Postby jim_manley » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just happened to check out the HF website today and discovered that there are no trailers listed, including looking at the Trailer, Trailer Parts, Trailer Accessories, etc., sections, and searching explicitly for product numbers associated with trailers I've bought before and saw on the site just a couple of weeks ago. Do they routinely purge their inventory by this time of the year (at the end of the Summer) to make room for new stock, or could this be the harbinger of new(er) and improved(er) models, e.g., 5 x 8, 6 x 8, 5 x 10, 6 x 10, and/or, be still my beating heart, perhaps some aluminum models? I didn't notice this until too late to call them, but if no one has an answer before Monday, I'll call my local store and the corporate HQs, if the former doesn't know what's going on, either.

All the Best,
Jim
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Re: No More Harbor Freight Trailers As Of 9/30/2017???

Postby WizardOfOdds » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 pm

A month or two ago I spoke with an employee at a local HF store about their trailer line and suggested to him that they could sell a lot of 5x8 trailer kits if they sold one. (Years ago they did, it came with metal side rails and a rear drop gate, but it was about $600 while they were selling the 1800# for under $300). He indicated to me that he was told 'over a year ago' that the HF line of trailers was going to under go a big change. I considered this claim as 'rumor' back then, but perhaps (just maybe) that is what is going on. By the way there is a current thread on this subject at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69372
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby jim_manley » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:29 pm

WizardOfOdds wrote:A month or two ago I spoke with an employee at a local HF store about their trailer line and suggested to him that they could sell a lot of 5x8 trailer kits if they sold one. (Years ago they did, it came with metal side rails and a rear drop gate, but it was about $600 while they were selling the 1800# for under $300). He indicated to me that he was told 'over a year ago' that the HF line of trailers was going to under go a big change. I considered this claim as 'rumor' back then, but perhaps (just maybe) that is what is going on. By the way there is a current thread on this subject at http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69372

Thanks, Mr. Wizard!

Yes, for those my age, I am also making a very old reference to a wonderful TV show that helped me become an engineer, a scientist, and a Navy Officer in the face of the Commie Hordes in response to the Sputnik Scare. Now, the Commie Hordes are on our campuses and in our streets, and they're protected by the very laws and benefit from the same system that they despise, rant, and rage violently against, which millions have sacrificed their lives, health, and sacred honor to provide for them.

The "HF Trailers" thread you so kindly provided isn't on the first page of any of the threads of which I could think would be relevant. There's also no way to search for and find this thread, because "hf" and "trailer" are too common terms to provide meaningful results. The PHPbb software used to implement this forum doesn't allow searching for terms with less than five characters, or that occur in more than a certain percentage of posts ... for some reason, "trailer" is in nearly every post on this forum! :roll:

So, it looks like the tread separation issue that many have referred to may finally being addressed, which is well worth the wait for the moment. It would be really nice if they took this opportunity to offer larger and lighter models, too. An aluminum 5 x 8 or 6 x 10 frame would be really great ... if it were offered at a Harbor Freight price.
"Education isn't the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- Plutarch ... or W.B. Yeats ... or ...

"In theory, theory and practice are the same ... in practice, they aren't!" -- Some Engineer

"Just when you think you have all the answers ... they change all the questions!" -- Murphy of Murphy, Dewey, Screwem, and Howe, LLP

What I'd love to build: ... What I'll probably wind up with:
.....Image................ Image
jim_manley
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kramergwt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:37 am

I got mine at Northern Tool about 8 years ago. Not sure if it's better or not but they seem to still carry them. I found my 5x8 for $489.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

Dept. of Transportation recall of Harbor Freight tires

Postby Esteban » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:52 am

Just checked Harbor Freight's website. When I used trailer or trailers as a search term I can't find any trailers for sale. Only trailer parts are offered. I also checked the website's site map. When I clicked trailers and accessories no trailers are shown.

Then I checked the Harbor Freight monthly ad shown online (on 10/01/2017). It shows two 4' x 8' trailers for sale. The Super Duty 1720 lb. capacity trailer is offered for $399.99. The Heavy Duty 1195 lb. capacity trailer is offered for $299.99. The part of the ad for the 1195 lb. trailer says "item not shipped".

I called the Harbor Freight store in San Luis Obispo, CA. The manager told me their trailers sales are suspended because the Department of Transportation put a recall of their trailer tires. He did not now when, or if, trailer sales will resume.

About a year and a half ago I bought a Northern Tool 5' x 8" trailer on sale, with a Retail Me Not Discount code, for $399.99 including free shipping to my home in California. I use it as a utility trailer. I may convert it in the future to build a teardrop trailer.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:32 pm

Could be a blessing in disguise! :roll:
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby WizardOfOdds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm

I called the Harbor Freight store in San Luis Obispo, CA. The manager told me their trailers sales are suspended because the Department of Transportation put a recall of their trailer tires. He did not now when, or if, trailer sales will resume.

In support of this recall explaination, I noticed that they also seem to have deleted their trailer tires/wheels from their web site. Maybe they will issue (those of us who bought a trailer) a credit toward buying better tires when/if they begin to sell them.
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby elcam84 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 am

The store here has had their trailers on clearance for over 6 months. The manager said they just don't sell well and wouldn't be surprised if it became an order only item. I haven't been into HF for a month or so and don't know what has changed since then. I may stop in there later this week and will see if they still have them available there.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby 2bits » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Seems odd that if there was a recall on the tires that it would cover ALL of them, they have the tiny ones and the 12" ones but maybe it's the Chinese rubber, I dunno. I bought in August because I needed something with low clearance to move my truck camper into my garage for repairs. Had to flip the axle on top of the springs and buy the tiny wheels for it but I got it in there with 2" of clearance!! I sold it today for exactly what I paid for it with the key word being "ASSEMBLED"!! 8)
Attachments
TruckCamper.jpg
TruckCamper.jpg (180.08 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby doris s. » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm

So how many of you have built a teardrop on a utility trailer that has those metal rails on it? Did you cut the rails off? I have been looking for a 6 x 10 trailer and there are none that come without the darn rails. HF is not selling them and Northern Tool trailer tires are rated for 45mph.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby mustangcats » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:39 pm

I was in a Harbor Freight store on Sunday and there was a sign by a trailer that said due to a problem with tires, Harbor Freight is suspending the sale of trailers until further notice. The trailers are still in their sales flyers...but those flyers were printed some time ago. I tried to click on a trailer in one of the email notices I received, and instead of giving me more information about the trailer, it linked me to one of their industrial floor fans.
mustangcats
Silver Donating Member

Postby jonesnforcampin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 pm

I believe the tire issue being the reason for not seeing trailers for sale. I got out trailer at NT, but a spare tire at HF. Through working on it im 90% sure that HF tire ended up mounted on the trailer. That tire separated on us after VERY little use. Absolute garbage. Luckily that size tire is pretty cheap at Discount Tire.
jonesnforcampin
Teardrop Builder

Postby kramergwt » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:50 pm

I bought my trailer from NT, and put the deck together without glue and then the project stalled while I got the house ready for the market. A couple years later in a rush to get it hooked up to the car to drag from CT to TX I just loaded it up (probably close to max capacity), checked the tire pressure and headed out. There was so much to do I never had time to get a spare tire and figured I would look for a NT along the way and get one. The tow package I installed on the car showed up a couple days before the trip. Never really got close to a Northern tool during daytime so state by state we made it here to Austin on the 2 tires it came with. I’ve used it quite a bit here for buying furniture and saving on delivery charges (which alone has paid for the trailer 2 or 3 times). The tires still look like new. I also thought the NT trailers were a little tougher than the HF counterparts. ...so I’d say forget about HF and just go with NT. Don’t let HF’s quality control issues slow down your project, there are better alternatives. Also, when I went to the DMV to get it registered they needed the receipt which the movers had already taken with the file cabinet. I called Northern Tool from the DMV and they tracked down the 7 year old purchase and faxed the DMV what they needed and saved my @$$. Would HF do that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
kramergwt
Teardrop Advisor

What will recall mean to buyers...

Postby WizardOfOdds » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Read the recall at this link
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCLRPT-17T017-3269.PDF
It says HF will replace affected tires and this blog
https://www.hobie.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=11&t=61708
claims that will include new rims and was to start the recall Nov 8.
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:22 am

Wiz, thanks for the information! So, I guess HF now owes me 3 new tires. I had the two that originally came on the trailer, the hub went on one, so HF replaced it after I bought one from Tractor Supply. Drove for 12,000 miles and needed to replace the tires. The HF replacement had been used as a spare, so never on the ground and I purchased an additional one in August so I would have two new ones on the ground. Thus I have 3 HF tires and 1 Tractor supply, one HF and the TS have the 12,000 miles on them.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Next

Return to General Discussion