Galley hatch when camping

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Galley hatch when camping

Postby Homebrewer25 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Hey all,
I've got a question for those who have experience camping in their TTTs with a galley hatch:

Do you leave your galley hatch open most of the time while you are at the campsite?
Do you ever leave it open overnight?
Any wildlife issues if you do?

I'm contemplating a design that would include a full slideout galley. That would increase the inside space by about 2 feet when it is open ... enough for setting up a portapotty inside. But if you have to keep the galley closed at night then that wouldn't work out as planned.

I have explicit instructions that we need to have an inside portapotty for nocturnal use ... no getting out during the night to pee. There are only 2 alternatives that I can see without increasing the length ... I'm already at 10 feet:
    1 is this slideout galley idea;
    2 is to take about 20" of width from the galley as a permanent space for the potty (accessible only from inside).

It may be that I would need to create a 2nd hatch lid if it needs to be 'open but covered' overnight.
It's 5 o'clock somewhere ... time for a :beer:

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Re: Galley hatch when camping

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Do you leave your galley hatch open most of the time while you are at the campsite? yes, during the day.
Do you ever leave it open overnight? never leave it open overnight.
Any wildlife issues if you do? would be a big problem over night. Actually a few weeks ago I left the oven door open to cool and within a minute a squirrel jumped in. He left really fast.

I think a much better way to make room for a portapotty inside would be to add either one or two slide outs for the bed like Barrie Koltusky has been doing with his last few teardrops. His is only a 4' wide. He is putting the bed across the width of the trailer. Initially he was using a 2' slide out for the head. The last couple he has built with 2 - 1' slide outs. One for the feet and one for the head. He even added a roof pop up for when he wants more head room getting dressed. The slides could easily be 15" to 18" to give a full 75 to 80 inch mattress length. Some pictures are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.10154589245135745&type=1

This should be much easier to build than a slide out galley and a more usable space inside too.

good luck with your build.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Do you leave your galley hatch open most of the time while you are at the campsite? Yes
Do you ever leave it open overnight? Almost always
Any wildlife issues if you do? A couple of times, one case a skunk after our trash, (I did not argue) Had more trouble when tent camping, couple of times squirrels ate through the lids and got in our bins.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Open if I am in camp, normally closed at night ( warmer inside, and I sleep better )
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 pm

Open when I'm around, closed at night. One night, before I learned my lesson, raccoons got the fridge slid out, opened the top and got the tub of redi-whip out. Had to go to the store for more the next day, or no banana pudding for potluck. At least they didn't steal all the beer. Here in Texas, you can't leave the keys in your TV or the raccoons will steal it for a joy ride. Usually ends badly. The squirrels were numerous and aggressive in Alaska. They'll cuss you out if you shoo them away. Foul-mouthed little $^%^(*&!
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:09 pm

We shut our's down. :o

But we still visit the darkness about 0200 hours and study the stars. :shock:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 am

It's been told a few times on here but I gotta repeat it it's just too good. Let me find it.......

The night of the raccoon attack

My funniest dog/camping story has been told on here before but I can't resist telling it again.....

We were at Salamonie State park last fall and about 1:00 - 1:30 the dog went crazy with all of us inside so I opened the door and let her go. Must have been a raccoon raid because several others who had left things out found them toted away the next morning Most items were retrieved from the waters edge.

Well , about 4 seconds after letting the dog out the fog of sleep lifted and reality set in.

Black dog black night now what?

Run thru the slumbering campers shouting her name. I don't think so !.

The 2nd idea , stoke up the campfire and she can see me and will come back (hopefully). Which she did about 45 minutes later.

The next day a young fella walked past our site and says " Hi Sadie"
I was a bit puzzled how he knew her name but shrugged it off. A little later a second fella came thru and the same " Hi Sadie". Now I am plain damn curious. The 3rd fella I stopped mid greeting and asked how they all knew the dogs name. Well it appears that these were the fellows that were partying real hard the night before about the same time as I was building up the fire and setting waiting for Sadie to return.

The story goes as follows……

One big fella was partied out and stretched out in a camping recliner and out of it. I guess Sadie saw dad in his recliner and simply launched into this guys lap. The witnesses told me he screamed like a little girl and flopped out of the recliner face first into the sod. He told his "friends" he thought he was being attacked by a raccoon. Well Sadie's name tag was on and the guys read her name and address so now we know the rest of the story.

We lost her to cancer last October and the land lady was so lost without her she replaced her with not one but two new Scottie puppies. OMG what fun.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:02 am

Thanks for the replies.

Seems like most of you close the galley hatch at night ... probably a wise decision.

So back to the drawing board.

Steve
Foam Ranger Build (postponed by COVID - resuming spring 2021): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70159
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 am

We close the galley, but tent campers leave stoves etc out all night. You need a place to lock up you food, but that doesn’t mean you have to have a galley. Maybe you just need a chuck box you can unload when you arrive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby les45 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

We keep the galley hatch closed at night primarily because of animals. We bought one of those small one person dressing tents and keep it set up near the trailer with a port-a-potty inside it. The little tent folds up to almost nothing when not in use.
les45
500 Club

Postby Homebrewer25 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:52 pm

les45, the wife says no to exiting the camper to pee.
socal Tom, she wants a galley, but a small one is OK, so I'll probably modify my design to take about 1/3 of the galley width and close it in for a portapotty accessible from the inside only.

Steve
Homebrewer25
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 pm

here are some slide out ideas

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=slide+out+tea ... &ia=images

maybe you galley could be a slide out that closes even when out!! ;)
ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:32 am

I have left ours open but here in Indiana Raccoons are very resourceful. You have to have it cleared and clean and no food of any kind available. A couple we camp with swear that the night critters won't cross a rope lite lying on the ground and illuminated. They have done this for the 5 years I have camped with them and never have they had an invader ??????
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby jandmz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Since you are still contemplating your design, look on the "design resources" drop down, and the "design library". You might be interested in the 10 ft "Compact". It is a low profile standy with a popup roof section. It includes sleeping for 2 and a portapot compartment. You could modify the inside galley to be a side slideout.
jandmz
Teardrop Master

Return to General Discussion