Tent trailer as a starting point

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Tent trailer as a starting point

Postby jdiebert » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi all,

So I've just talked to a guy that has an old Bonair tent trailer for sale, $200 CAD. The tent part is a throw away but the rest seems in good shape. Fridge, stove, lights, etc. He figures the frame is 6' x 8' so my question is are there any good plans around that use a 6x8 frame? Most of the plans I've seen are 4x8 or 5x8. Any help would be grand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tent trailer as a starting point

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am

I love what Les45 did with his:

Les45's Different kind of Pop-up:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
and here it is, finished:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68598&p=1205888#p1205888

But, if you're planning on making a teardrop out of what you have, you can follow any of the teardrop plans and just increase the size to match the size of your chassis. Look in Design Resources, at the top, in the blue header. Or, you could take it to a welder and have it cut down (shudder) to the size you want. (I hate the thought of cutting down a proven winner like that.)

Whatever you decide, make something wonderful out of it.

PS. If you haven't already done it, you might want to read through this thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19241
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:03 am

Funny....I was just offered a Bonair Tent Trailer the other day for Free!
The cables had broken.
I did get another one for free a couple of years ago that I sold to a you couple for $100.00
They are out there! :thumbsup:
And make a cheap base for a TD project. :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am

Hey!
After reading and replying to this post, I realized you are the guy from Kelowna.
That Bonair is in Cawston and was only offered to me a week ago, it may still be available if you are interested.
Give me a call 768-1912.
Brian
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 am

S. Heisley wrote:I love what Les45 did with his:

Les45's Different kind of Pop-up:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64782
and here it is, finished:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68598&p=1205888#p1205888

But, if you're planning on making a teardrop out of what you have, you can follow any of the teardrop plans and just increase the size to match the size of your chassis. Look in Design Resources, at the top, in the blue header. Or, you could take it to a welder and have it cut down (shudder) to the size you want. (I hate the thought of cutting down a proven winner like that.)

Whatever you decide, make something wonderful out of it.

PS. If you haven't already done it, you might want to read through this thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=19241
Wow what an incredible job! Seems like a lot more work than I would be able to accomplish. And the tent trailer I'm looking at is in worse shape. Really just interested in the trailer frame but thank you for the info

jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:49 am

Look at your building material sizes before taking the plunge on building a 6-wide 'drop. It'll add challenges.

My first teardrop was a 4'-wide. I loved that little thing and was sad to see it go. Our 5-wide is perfect. I wish it towed like my 4-wide.

I have no idea what we'd do with another foot inside. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:14 pm

Vedette wrote:Hey!
After reading and replying to this post, I realized you are the guy from Kelowna.
That Bonair is in Cawston and was only offered to me a week ago, it may still be available if you are interested.
Give me a call 768-1912.
Brian
Hi Brian thanks for the tip. I'm still struggling with the design I keep getting updates or changes that force me to rethink my approach. I'll be a long design process I think.

Trying to keep things lite and small but be able to sleep two adults and two kidlets. Not easy

jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 pm

tony.latham wrote:Look at your building material sizes before taking the plunge on building a 6-wide 'drop. It'll add challenges.

My first teardrop was a 4'-wide. I loved that little thing and was sad to see it go. Our 5-wide is perfect. I wish it towed like my 4-wide.

Tony
Yes I was concerned with visibility as well. I have a '17 Hyundai Tucson so it's pretty small

jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm

jdiebert wrote:
tony.latham wrote:Look at your building material sizes before taking the plunge on building a 6-wide 'drop. It'll add challenges.

Tony
Yes I was concerned with visibility as well. I have a '17 Hyundai Tucson so it's pretty small

That pic is from our Tacoma. The extra foot of drag is significant.

I just noticed your planning for your two kids. There’s some good solutions on here for bunking kids.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ChefConroy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:11 pm

I hate the design of this site with a firey passion. So this response will be short. Unlike the original one I typed out, and then accidentally killed.

I built mine based on a Sears 6x8 pop-up camper. I ripped the old, rotted-out camper off (literally tree roots growing underneath the linoleum.) and built from there.
Unfortunately, I have no plans beyond a meager hand-drawn sketch at the start of it. So no engineering grade technical drawings all done in sketch up from me, sorry! My final external dimensions are 6.5"(w)x10'(l)x5.5'(h).
Mine is built with a hatch that opens fully to the interior of the camper, so I have a dinette where two >6' people can sleep comfortably across the camper, instead of lengthwise. I had a 6'2 friend sitting at the dinette during the build process with no complaints of feeling cramped.
Instead of the standard aft galley, I have two bathroom vanities I've repurposed as cabinets, one as the main kitchen area, the other as bar/utility/entertainment area.
It's been a long freakin process (taken me 2.5 years with a few breaks/interruptions/health issues/a reporter-to-cook career change/a move all thrown in.) But also keep in mind, mine is about 75-80% reclaimed material with no plans and no experience. this is my frist build, and I've been learning along the way. Aside from studs in the walls, insulation, fasteners, and a few odd bits, everything including the windows, and exterior wood were all reclaimed/salvaged materials. So there was lots of time spent hunting and picking things out instead of going to the big box store and grabbing everything I need.
Quick and dirty of the pics:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qgR9uAam9ipl-77d5hv0HMZC0CWOua2Nmw/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HPmH188yH1HyE3yaJxlc6ZWRgwQSn1uq5Q/view?usp=sharing

I'll be off on my FIRST trip with it on the 19th. and I can't freakin wait!
Please feel free to message me if you have any questions.
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi ChefConroy thanks for sharing that's a very interesting and clever build. I think you end up saving a lot of room with this design. I really like the hatch entry really great design with the fold down step. Do you have any idea how much it weights? Unfortunately my car will only pull 1000lbs (1500lbs with brakes). Have a great first trip with your build :)
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:43 pm

Okay, based on what you've said above, I'm going to assume that you want to use the 6x10' size as it is and want to try to keep the weight down to maybe 1,000 lbs.

Based on the above assumptions, I would say go with a Raindrop style with a flat roof and a front wall that is curved somewhat from side to side instead of top to bottom. When you curve the front-side corners, keep them at a perfect quarter circle, to minimize air flow restrictions. Plan on curving at least the last 6 inches on each side of the front. Start the curve where the tow vehicle's shadow/width ends. You'll have to figure out the exact details based on your chassis frame. Use as little wood as possible and build a foamie. If done right, this can be both economical and lightweight; but, that is totally based upon the builder's actions.

The advantage of the flat roof of a raindrop is that you have plenty of room for solar panels, should you decide to add them.

The advantage of the curved front wall corners is that when the trailer is wider than the tow vehicle, the curved front corners will help make up for the air flow restriction/fight; thus making it a little less effort for the tow vehicle and helping to keep gas usage down. However, if you build higher than your tow vehicle, all bets are off and you may not do well with this design.

Below is the address to a Raindrop, built by one of our forum members:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68563&p=1215489&hilit=Raindrop#p1215489
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:32 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Okay, based on what you've said above, I'm going to assume that you want to use the 6x10' size as it is and want to try to keep the weight down to maybe 1,000 lbs.

Based on the above assumptions, I would say go with a Raindrop style with a flat roof and a front wall that is curved somewhat from side to side instead of top to bottom. When you curve the front-side corners, keep them at a perfect quarter circle, to minimize air flow restrictions. Plan on curving at least the last 6 inches on each side of the front. Start the curve where the tow vehicle's shadow/width ends. You'll have to figure out the exact details based on your chassis frame. Use as little wood as possible and build a foamie. If done right, this can be both economical and lightweight; but, that is totally based upon the builder's actions.

The advantage of the flat roof of a raindrop is that you have plenty of room for solar panels, should you decide to add them.

The advantage of the curved front wall corners is that when the trailer is wider than the tow vehicle, the curved front corners will help make up for the air flow restriction/fight; thus making it a little less effort for the tow vehicle and helping to keep gas usage down. However, if you build higher than your tow vehicle, all bets are off and you may not do well with this design.

Below is the address to a Raindrop, built by one of our forum members:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=68563&p=1215489&hilit=Raindrop#p1215489
Thanks for the link. Very interesting build. I've seen this style before and now I can see it's appeal with the added room.

The trailer I'm looking at is 6'x8' not 10' but I imagine it would work pretty similarly.

jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Take a look at this slide-out kid bed:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59086&start=195

It's also something you could ditch when they're ready for their own tent.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby jdiebert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm

tony.latham wrote:Take a look at this slide-out kid bed:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59086&start=195

It's also something you could ditch when they're ready for their own tent.

Tony

So cool! Seems there are a lot of rather clever people on this forum :)
jdiebert
Teardrop Inspector

Return to General Discussion