basic electrical question

Anything electric, AC or DC

basic electrical question

Postby DavidMcC » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:00 pm

Ok, here is my story...I am making a "camper" that will set up on a 5x8 utility trailer. Here is where it gets kind of funky for a lot of folks lol, this system will be sections or panels that come apart and lay flat for travel and storage allowing the trailer to be used as needed and then when I camp it all goes together with t nuts and wingbolts. My question is this I want to run two outlets so clearly I will need two outlets, outlet boxes and cover plates. How do I make a plug that will plug into camp supplied power and run power to the two outlets? the only things I will be powering would be my laptop, lights and here is the biggie the a/c, now its not the big dog ac I'm thinking the 3' high ones that vent outside. At the very least if that wouldn't be an option then possibly a couple of fans.
If it matters my walls would be 1/4 outside 1.5'' insulation inbetween and then 1/4" ply for the inside wall. I will be running 1x2 "studs" as well.
thanks gang,
D
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Re: basic electrical question

Postby working on it » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 am

DavidMcC wrote:Ok, here is my story...I am making a "camper" that will set up on a 5x8 utility trailer. Here is where it gets kind of funky for a lot of folks lol, this system will be sections or panels that come apart and lay flat for travel and storage allowing the trailer to be used as needed and then when I camp it all goes together with t nuts and wingbolts. My question is this I want to run two outlets so clearly I will need two outlets, outlet boxes and cover plates. How do I make a plug that will plug into camp supplied power and run power to the two outlets? the only things I will be powering would be my laptop, lights and here is the biggie the a/c, now its not the big dog ac I'm thinking the 3' high ones that vent outside. At the very least if that wouldn't be an option then possibly a couple of fans.
If it matters my walls would be 1/4 outside 1.5'' insulation inbetween and then 1/4" ply for the inside wall. I will be running 1x2 "studs" as well.
thanks gang,
D
  • I use a single 120vac extension cord ( 16 gauge or 14 gauge, normally, but I have a 12 ga extension for long runs) because of my low power requirements (my A/C runs at <5 amps), run thru my galley wall. It keeps the cord end completely dry, even under monsoon conditions (Beaver's Bend '15), and can even seal when I used it for two cords at a time (one in, and one out). I bought mine for under $8 at Home Depot. If you plan to collapse your cabin into flat or semi-flat components, then the Taymac cover will work for you, since it's only about 1" thick, and doesn't have fixed wiring to deal with; once assembled at camp, you can just run the extension cord thru the cover, and split the power to your your items thru a GFCI splitter (also serves as a ground).
  • taymac cover extension cord entry port.png
    taymac cover extension cord entry port.png (236.32 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
    the simplest method I know to keep my park power extension cord waterproof
  • GFCI extension, with a 3-way splitter.jpg
    GFCI extension, with a 3-way splitter.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 1659 times
    for added safety, I use a GFCI device as a ground/breaker
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 am

I put one of these in my sister's 'drop. Nice and clean.

https://www.amazon.com/MinnKota-AC-Powe ... B000MN8RUU

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 am

I did what Tony did. The 15A inlet plug on the drivers side of my camper is connected to a 15A fuse and a GFCI outlet on the inside of the camper. Anything else can be hard wired to that outlet or you could just use a power strip from there as Working On It suggested.

Here is the fuse holder I used. Underneath the cover is a round screw-in type 15 amp fuse. The switch allows you to turn off the electrical system from the inside of the trailer if you need to.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DavidMcC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you guys this is the direction I was hoping for some not mind boggling lol
DavidMcC
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Electrical Secrets