High temperature paints?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

High temperature paints?

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 am

Does anybody here have experience with high temperature paints? I have a 3 burner propane stove with oven in the galley of my teardrop and it could use a refinish. It was purchased used from a very old RV. It was either stainless steel or maybe a chrome plating over steel. I have removed the oven door panel and the stove top panel and power wire brushed them. There is some shallow pitting, likely from acidic foods spilled and never cleaned up (by previous owners). They are very shallow and ill be covered by a few coats of finish. So I am debating about using a paint like Rustoleum High Heat Gloss Black (650F) paint, or would it be better to powder coat. I don't know much about powder coating but will be checking into it today. But does anybody here have experience refinishing a stove top? Thanks, Don

I previously upgraded the oven by installing ceramic fiber insulation on the sides and back. The front and top will get the same treatment now that it is apart.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Re: High temperature paints?

Postby John61CT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 pm

High-temp engine manifold black.

Prep super-clean, etching primer.

Lots of HowTo's out there. Best if you can get a spray rig for the day, in a clean space, watch your temps.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm

I called a powder coater and found out that is not an option.

I put a themocouple on the stove top just under the burner and fired it up with a pot of water on the burner, The temperature topped out about 350F, Then I attached the thermocouple to the burner grill with some stove pipe wire. That is directly above the flame. It topped out at 892F.

So I think for the grills I will go with some Automotive header paint in flat black, gloss is not an option. Found Rustoleum High Heat (2000F) in flat black. It requires a curing procedure in the oven after application. That will be easy enough to do in the home oven.

For the oven door and stove top I found some Tremclad (by Rustoleum) High Heat Enamel (650F) in gloss black.

It is warm enough to spay this evening so I guess I will put on a coat or two.

The powder coater I talked to suggested a company here that does ceramic coating, but I couldn't get past the receptionist to get a quote.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Rust-Oleum® Specialty High Heat Spray retains color and finish up to 1200º F. Apply to grills, wood-burning stoves, radiators, engines or other metal items. Provides rust protection.

Indoor/outdoor
Durable, corrosion-resistaint

For Best Results

Do not use in areas directly exposed to flames (e.g., inside of grills or fireplaces.

As an example: several colors. They have it in quart size to applied with applicator ie a brush, roller, etc.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Return to General Discussion