Windows: How big is too big

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Windows: How big is too big

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:26 am

Hi everyone. I'm in the process of finalizing the design for my first build. I have it fairly set, I think. I do have a question about window size, however.

I came across some used RV windows for a great price. A few of them are 42 inches long by 24 inches high.

Is that too big to stick into a solid 3/4" wall that is standard 4x8 over all and roughly 6.5x8 interior?

How big can you go and remain structurally sound?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Re: Windows: How big is too big

Postby cajundood » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:59 am

In my book, theres no such thing as too much view :wine:
If you go with a larger window, you may want to add extra bracing in your walls.....but otherwise I'd go with as big of a window as you can get away with... :applause:
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:05 pm

I like the view also. Just be prepared to provide enough ventilation for the solar heat gains. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Funny you ask that I have a 48"x20" window that I got a good deal on and putting it in my teardrop. It will work fine for me as I am only putting one door on my camper.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:29 pm

I believe the size of the screen area is much more important then the size of the glass. Large windows eat up storage space. I also do not care to much about a view. When I am in the trailer, I am in to go to sleep. In the rare event that I am laying in the trailer during the day, the doors are open. The key to a comfortable teardrop is good air movement. So if that big widow opens, go for it. :thumbsup:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby cajundood » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am

Woodbutcher wrote:I believe the size of the screen area is much more important then the size of the glass. Large windows eat up storage space. I also do not care to much about a view. When I am in the trailer, I am in to go to sleep. In the rare event that I am laying in the trailer during the day, the doors are open. The key to a comfortable teardrop is good air movement. So if that big widow opens, go for it. :thumbsup:

"the view" is the reason I go camping. To sleep under the stars is ideal for me.....but then thers bugs, heat/cold, and a number of other things that make that difficult. If I can increase my view all while indoors basically, to be able to look at the scenery as i fall asleep. :worship: then A big, huge, ginormous window is what I would want.... :twisted:
cajundood
Teardrop Builder

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 am

Just a thought the view goes both ways. large windows take large curtains at night.

GAry
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby working on it » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:04 am

Tom Horn wrote:Funny you ask that I have a 48"x20" window that I got a good deal on and putting it in my teardrop. It will work fine for me as I am only putting one door on my camper.
  • Prior to starting my trailer build, I also got a great deal on a used RV window (but it was 48" x 29", awning-style bottom half, tinted and screened...a great window!), because my wife said she wanted "openness" and a big window (I started the trailer for her to use, but it soon became "mine", only). I got it for $14, and vaguely planned to use it as a front facing window (to be covered with a shield for travel) on the sloping 45 degree nose of the trailer, since it would be impossible to use it on the side (due to my decision that two doors was good to have, for multiple reasons), leaving too little space to insert it there. The front sloped roofline, the door, and then the interior partitioning (the vertical bulkhead creating sleep area/storage area separation), didn't leave enough space.
  • I had always planned to build a 4' x 8' trailer, of 3/4" plywood, bolted together with steel bracketry, and after reading much about plywood edge delamination, decided to leave my edges exposed (for easy resealing and inspection). That meant that I would have to put down the floor first (exposed edges visible), with walls standing on top of the floor (their edges were permanently sealed and protected by PL adhesive). Corner and angle brackets held the walls, bolted & glued in place on the inside perimeter of the floor; roof was affixed the same way, with it's exposed edges visible, also. Thusly, my trailer became only 48" wide, instead of 49.5", under which premise I thought the large window would work. That left no space large enough on the front, either, so the window sat in my garage for 6 years, until last month, when I gave it to my handyman helper, to use on his workshop project. I ended up using 15" x 18" awning windows from Grant at 'Lil Bear, which were perfect for the trailer, as it turned out. But the big window was really nice, too bad I couldn't use it.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:56 pm

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner. Some interesting responses. In the lot that I purchased, I found two that were 31wx24h so I decided to go with those. Assuming this build goes well, though, I may be building a slightly larger camper at some point so the 42+ inch windows may still be used there. Or, I may change my mind and use them in this. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques