sheep wagon?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

sheep wagon?

Postby Greg Barrick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Hi everyone,
Thru the many years I have always loved camping. As a youngster, I had blankets, WW 2 jungle hammocks, pup tents, nylon wall tents then into class A and Class C motorhomes. I have had the old aluminum "sears" tent in a box, small tents on my motorcycle, tarps and you name it. A number of years ago I built a teardrop and used often. Then I built a 6-1/2 x 12 teardrop (5'-4" inside) that I have now. (didn't get to use it as much as I wanted this year) But I really like the old cheap fun camping and can't seem to find what I want.
Mama (wife) and I dropped by the camper museum in Elkhart, Indiana a year or so ago and she REALLY liked the old "tent in a box" stuff like the Sears, Apache etc from the 50's and 60's. I do too. They are easy to design and build but the tent is a bear. So I have been looking everywhere for something affordable to build and unique and thrifty. Her car has a 6 cyl that can pull my camper, but I never use OD when pulling. My old truck pulls all day, but is 250,000 + and getting tired. Being retired doesn't want me to buy a new truck just for pulling my camper.
Anyway, we've found and pretty much like the "lifetime camper." But I'm cheap and to still "do it yourself." I also like the Vardo's and Gypsy wagons, but they are to tough to pull very far. Then I found the "pop up" Sheep wagon from "Rockin 7 sheep wagon." This is AMAZING! No build plans or anything available, but after watching the movie 20 times, I see how he built everything. Sounds like a great winter project. It's a 6-1/2 x 12 sheep wagon with 6' or more interior height, full bed and folds down so you can over and around when pulling and is really light.
Anyone have any thoughts about a sheep wagon camper??
'
Greg Barrick
Teardrop Advisor

Re: sheep wagon?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Anyone have any thoughts about a sheep wagon camper??

Don't make it with the twin axels like the sheep wagons of old. Nearly impossible to back.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Greg Barrick » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 pm

watch "rockin 7 sheep wagon" video. This is a single axle.
Greg Barrick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby steve cowan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:40 pm

I watched the video a couple of times.That is really creative thinking.It could be built fairly lite and would be easy to tow.I say go for it and post a build journal!
steve cowan
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm

Greg Barrick wrote:watch "rockin 7 sheep wagon" video. This is a single axle.

I saw that. Just making sure you weren't thinking of a sheep wagon style trailer and build the cabin like the Rockin 7.

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Fun looking camper.

If you do build one and use the same type of window, swing it so that it opens at the bottom rather than the top. It's best to have some type of ventilation that you can use in the rain too.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 am

Nice !!! … something about that shape …??? :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dano-Mich » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:48 am

Looks cool, nice project. Taking down or setting up in the rain could be problematic.
Dano-Mich
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:59 am

A couple years ago I camped with a guy that built a very nice sheep wagon. While it looked cool, it was like towing a brick. If your travels will not take you far it is a very unique trailer. He had lots of attention everywhere he stopped.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Rainier70 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:39 pm

From the simple covered wagon sheep camp to the high-end new sheep camp campers like the Teton... http://www.wrcamps.com/camp-models/highlander-xl/

Either could be fun!
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to General Discussion