NPS: Proposed Peak Season Fee Hikes $$$

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: NPS: Proposed Peak Season Fee Hikes $$$

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:57 pm

"In 2016, the National Park System received an estimated 330,971,689 recreation visits. Visitors to National Parks spent an estimated $18.4 billion in local gateway regions (defined as communities within 60 miles of a park). The contribution of this spending to the national economy was 318 thousand jobs, $12.0 billion in labor income, $19.9 billion in value added, and $34.9 billion in economic output. The lodging sector saw the highest direct contributions with $5.7 billion in economic output directly contributed to local gateway economies nationally. The sector with the next greatest direct contributions was the restaurants and bars sector, with $3.7 billion in economic output directly contributed to local gateway economies nationally."
https://www.npca.org/articles/1500-budget-proposal-threatens-national-parks
Both Nancy and I have our passes. So we will not be directly impacted, unless they change the rules. Our children and grandchildren will hopefully follow us in our love of camping. What of poor kids and families?
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby rainjer » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:"In 2016, the National Park System received an estimated 330,971,689 recreation visits. Visitors to National Parks spent an estimated $18.4 billion in local gateway regions (defined as communities within 60 miles of a park). The contribution of this spending to the national economy was 318 thousand jobs, $12.0 billion in labor income, $19.9 billion in value added, and $34.9 billion in economic output. The lodging sector saw the highest direct contributions with $5.7 billion in economic output directly contributed to local gateway economies nationally. The sector with the next greatest direct contributions was the restaurants and bars sector, with $3.7 billion in economic output directly contributed to local gateway economies nationally."
https://www.npca.org/articles/1500-budget-proposal-threatens-national-parks
Both Nancy and I have our passes. So we will not be directly impacted, unless they change the rules. Our children and grandchildren will hopefully follow us in our love of camping. What of poor kids and families?

Keep in mind that 2016 was the 100 anniversary of the Nation parks and there was a large increase in attendance.

I spent 14 day July visiting several national parks. We visited Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Badlands, Mt Rushmore & Devils Tower. I ended up buying the $80 annual pass. It only save me $10 in the long run but I feel it was worth every dollar. We drove 4140 mile and spent $700 on gas alone. I think we spent another $3500 in camping fees and $500 in food. I would take the same trip in a heart beat if they had raise the the entry fees.

Jeremy
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby drhill » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:15 pm

$80 for an annual pass is still very reasonable. Here in Canada it is $136, or about $110 USD +/-. But yes, the price for a day/week pass seems pretty high compared to an annual pass. Perhaps they want everybody to buy an annual pass and be done with it.

But I remember waiting, it seems like forever, to get through the line to the pay station at Arches NP even though I already had an America the Beautiful Pass.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby JuneBug » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 pm

Please note that my original post contains a link to provide comments during the brief comment period. If you feel strongly, let your voice be heard.
"The large print giveth; the small print taketh away" Tom Waits
JuneBug
Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:23 am

drhill wrote:$80 for an annual pass is still very reasonable. Here in Canada it is $136, or about $110 USD +/-. But yes, the price for a day/week pass seems pretty high compared to an annual pass. Perhaps they want everybody to buy an annual pass and be done with it.

But I remember waiting, it seems like forever, to get through the line to the pay station at Arches NP even though I already had an America the Beautiful Pass.

Interesting....you say you waited forever to get in Arches NP. We visited this past June. I had just gotten my Senior Pass. This was the first time I could use it. Our group was up early to beat the crowds and the heat. We arrived 20 minutes after the park opened. I had my pass in hand as we drove to the fee booth. No one in the booth! Every car was just cruising in for free. Maybe that has something to do with the parks money problems. :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby low277 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:34 pm

I myself can live with the fee increase, but I also believe that there is more to it than just maintenance budget shortfalls.
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby crttaz » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:12 pm

I plan on just getting a yearly pass next year even if I don't fully use it.
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby rivernstream » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:54 am

While I share the concern about the burden on low income families, this pass will help get day visitors out of their vehicles and into shuttles-- no fee!. This way those that are camping will be able to navigate more easily. Any of you who have ever tried to get anywhere in Yosemite valley will agree that spending 3 hours one way to get from the gate to you campsite is nuts...but that is typical. I also agree that the annual pass or the senior/disabled one time pass is the way to go if you qualify. Low income families should also get a discount pass but I don't see the current administration doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:58 pm

rivernstream wrote: Any of you who have ever tried to get anywhere in Yosemite valley will agree that spending 3 hours one way to get from the gate to you campsite is nuts...but that is typical.

WOW! what month is that? I've been going yearly to Yosemite on a regular basis since the mid 1950's and never spent more than a half hour in traffic.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby rivernstream » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Midday in June

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rivernstream
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to General Discussion